Clinical Professor of Medicine; Director, Adult Lymphoma Program, Division of Hematology-Oncology, UCSF
Brandeis University (Magna cum Laude), BA, 1974, Biology
University of California, Berkeley, MA, 1976, Biochemistry
University of California, Los Angeles, MD, 1980, Medicine
Medical Intern, Boston City Hospital Department of Medicine
Medical Resident, Boston City Hospital Department of Medicine
Fellow in Hematology and Oncology, University of California San Francisco, Cancer Research Institute
Clinical Instructor in Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, AIDS Program/Oncology Division, San Francisco General Hospital
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital, AIDS Program/Oncology Division
Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco AIDS Program/Oncology Division, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital
Clinical Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, Positive Health Program, San Francisco, San Francisco General Hospital
Clinical Professor of Medicine; Director, Adult Lymphoma Program, Division of Hematology-Oncology, University of California, San Francisco
Honors & Awards
American Cancer Society Career Development Award
National Cancer Institute RO-1 AIDS-Lymphoma Network Grant, "Novel Therapeutic Approaches for HIV-Associated NHL"
National Cancer Institute UO-1 AIDS-Malignancies Consortium
- Kaplan, LD, Abrams Dl, Feigal E, McGrath MS, Ziegler J, Volberding PA. AIDS-associated non¬-Hodgkin's Iymphoma in San Francisco. JAMA 1989; 261:719 724.
- Kaplan, LD, Kahn J, Jacobson M, Bottles K, Cello J. Primary Non Hodgkin's Iymphoma of extrahepatic bile ducts in Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome. Ann Intern Med 1989;110: 161-¬162.
- Levine AM, Wernz JC, Kaplan, LD, Rodman N, Cohen P, Metroka C, et. al. Low dose chemotherapy with central nervous system prophylaxis and azidothymidine maintenance in AIDS related Iymphoma: A prospective multi institutional trial. JAMA 1991; 226:84 88.
- Kaplan, LD, Kahn J, Crowe S, Northfelt D, Neville P, Grossberg H, Abrams 1, Tracey J, Mills J, Volberding P. Clinical and virologic effects of recombinant human granulocyte macrophage colony stimulating factor (rGM CSF) in patients receiving chemotherapy for HIV associated non¬-Hodgkin's Iymphoma: results of a randomized trial. J Clin Oncol 1991;9:929 940.
- McGrath MS, Shiramizu B, Meeker TC, Kaplan, LD, Herndier B. AIDS-associated polyclonal Iymphoma: Identification of a new HlV associated disease process. J Clin Oncol 1992; 10:383¬389.
- Shiramizu B, Herndier, Meeker T, Kaplan, LD, McGrath M. Molecular and immunophenotypic characterization of AlDS associated Epstein Barr virus negative polyclonal Iymphoma. J of Oncol 1992; 10:383.
- Meeker TC, Kaplan, LD, Herndier B, Grimaldi JC, Baumgartner J, Rachlin J, Feigal E, Rosenblum M, and McGrath M. Evidence for molecular subtypes of HIV associated Iymphoma: Division into peripheral monoclonal Iymphoma, peripheral polyclonal Iymphoma, and central nervous system Iymphoma. AIDS 1991;5: 669 674.
- Kaplan, LD, Shiramizu B, Herndier B, Kahn J, Meeker TC, Ng V, Volberding PA, McGrath M. Influence of molecular characteristics on clinical outcome in HIV associated non Hodgkin's Iymphoma: Identification of subgroup with favorable clinical outcome. Blood. 1995: 85:1727-1735.
- Northfelt DW, Martin FJ, Working P, Volberding, PA, Russell J, Newman M, and Kaplan, LD. Pharmacokinetics, tumor localization, and safety of PEG-liposomal doxorubicin in patients with AIDS-related Kaposi’s sarcoma. J Clin Pharmacol 1996; 36: 55-63
- Kaplan, LD, Straus DJ, Testa MA, et al. Low-dose vs Standard-dose mBACOD Chemotherapy for HIV-associated non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma. N Engl J Med, 1997:336:1641-1648
- Straus, DJ, Huang, J, Testa, MA, Levine, AM, and Kaplan, LD. Prognostic factors in the treatment of HIV-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Analysis of AIDS Malignancy Clinical Group (ACTG) Protocol 142: low-dose vs. standard-dose m-BACOD + GM-CSF. J Clin Oncol,1998,16,3601-06.
- Ratner L, Lee J, Tang S, Redden D, Hamzeh F, Herndier B, Scadden D, Kaplan, LD, Ambinder R, Levine A, Harrington W, Grochow L, Flexner C, Tan B, and Straus D, Chemotherapy for HIV-associated non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma in Combination with Highly Active Antiretroviral Therapy. 2001; J Clin Oncol 2001 19:2171-2178
- Gates A., Kaplan, LD. Biology and Management of AIDS-Associated non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma Hematology/Oncology Clinics of North America 2003; 17, 821-841 AIDS malignancies in the era of highly active antiretroviral therapy. Oncology .2002 May; 16(5): 657-65; discussion 665, 668-70.
- Kaplan, LD, Lee JY, Ambinder RF, Sparano JA, Cesarman E, Chadburn A, Levine AM, Scadden DT. Rituximab does not Improve Clinical Outcome in a Randomized Phase 3 Trial of CHOP with or without Rituximab in Patients with HIV-Associated Non-Hodgkin’s Lymphoma: AIDS-Malignancies Consortium Trial 010. Blood, 2005; 106:1538-1543
- Thomas R Spitzer, Richard F Ambinder, Jeannette Y Lee, Lawrence D Kaplan, William Wachsman, David J Straus, David M Aboulafia, David T Scadden. "Dose- Reduced Busulfan, Cyclophosphamide and Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation for HIV- Associated Lymphoma: AIDS Malignancy Consortium Study 020." Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2008; 14:59-66
- Chadburn, A; Chiu, A; Lee, J; Chen, X; Hyjek, E; Bahmam, A; Noy, A; Kaplan, LD; Sparano, J; Bhatia, K; Cesarman, E and the AIDS Malignancy Consortium. "Immunophenotypic analysis of AIDS-related diffuse large B-cell lymphoma and clinical implications in patients from AIDS Malignancy Consortium Clinical Trials 010 and 034." J Clin Oncol. 2009 Oct 20;27(30):5039-48
- Joseph A. Sparano, Jeannette Y. Lee, Lawrence D. Kaplan, Alexandra M. Levine, Juan, Carlos Ramos,Richard F. Ambinder, William Wachsman, David Aboulafia, Ariela Noy, David H. Henry, Jamie Von Roenn, Bruce J. Dezube, Scot C. Remick, Manisha H. Shah, Lawrence Leichman1, Lee Ratner, Ethel Cesarman, Amy Chadburn, and Ronald Mitsuyasu. "Rituximab plus concurrent infusional EPOCH chemotherapy is highly effective in HIV-associated, B-cell non-Hodgkin's lymphoma" Blood 2010;115:3008- 3016
- Barta SK, Lee JY, Kaplan, LD, Noy A, Sparano JA. Pooled analysis of AIDS malignancy consortium trials evaluating rituximab plus CHOP or infusional EPOCH chemotherapy in HIV-associated non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Cancer 2012, In Press