Professor, Department of Anthropology, History, and Social Medicine, UCSF
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, B.Sc., 1972, Chemistry
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, B.A. (Hons) 1st, 1974, Anthropology
Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, M.A., 1977, Anthropology
Bedford College, University of London, United Kingdom, M.Sc., 1977, Medical Sociology
University of CA, San Francisco & University of CA, Berkeley, Ph.D., 1985, Medical Anthropology
Junior Lecturer [Equivalent to Assistant Professor] in Anthropology, Dept. Anthropology & Maori, Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand
1977-1982 and 1984-1982
Staff Research Associate, Medical Anthropology Program, University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
Assistant Research Anthropologist, Medical Anthropology Program, Department of Epidemiology & Biostatistics, UCSF
Associate Adjunct Professor, Medical Anthropology Program, UCSF
Associate Professor in Residence, Dept Anthropology, History & Social Medicine, UCSF
Professor in Residence, Dept Anthropology, History & Social Medicine, UCSF
Appointed, Petersen Distinguished Visiting Scholar in Gerontology and Family Studies, Dept. of Human Development & Family Sciences, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR
Appointed, Visiting Professor, Human Sexuality Program, San Francisco State University, San Francisco, CA
- B.J. Kramer & J. C. Barker, editors. Special issue: Ethnic diversity in aging and aging services in the U.S. Journal of Cross -Cultural Gerontology 6 (2): 127-258, 1992
- L.S. Mitteness & J. C. Barker. Managing large projects. In Jaber F. Gubrium and Andrea Sankar, eds. Qualitative Methods In Aging Research. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage. Pp 82-104, 1992
- J. C. Barker. Recognizing cultural differences: Health care providers and elderly patients. In Darryl Wieland, Donna Benton, B. Josea Kramer and Grace Dawson, eds. Cultural Diversity and Geriatric Care: Challenges to the Health Professions. New York: Haworth Press. Pp 9-21, 1994.
- B. J. Kramer & J. C. Barker Review Essay: Ethnicity in the Elderly. Journal of Cross- Cultural Gerontology 9: 403-417, 1992
- L. S. Mitteness & J. C. Barker. Stigmatizing a "normal" condition: Urinary incontinence in late life. Medical Anthropology Quarterly 9: 189-211, 1995 (Reprinted In Jaber F. Gubrium & James A. Holstein, eds. Aging and Everyday Life. Malden, MA: Blackwell. Chapter 21: Pp 306-327, 2000.)
- R. S. Battle, G. L. Cummings, J. C. Barker & F. M. Krasnovsky. Accessing an understudied population in behavioral HIV/AIDS research: Low income African-American women. Journal of Health and Social Policy 7 (2): 1-18, 1995. [Reprinted in In M. Holosko and M. Feit, eds. Health and Poverty. New York: Haworth Press, Chapter 10, Pp 167-187, 1997.]
- J. C. Barker & B. J. Kramer. Alcohol consumption among older urban American Indians. Journal of Studies on Alcohol 57: 119-124, 1996.
- B.J. Kramer & J.C. Barker. Homelessness among older American Indians, Los Angeles, 1987-1989. Human Organization 55: 396-408, 1996.
- J. C. Barker, J. Morrow & L. S. Mitteness. Gender, informal social support networks, and elderly urban African-Americans. Journal of Aging Studies 12: 199-222, 1992
- J. C. Barker, L.S. Mitteness & H.B. Muller. Older home health care patients and their physicians: Assessment of functional ability. Home Health Care Services Quarterly 17:21-39, 1992
- J. C. Barker, R. S. Battle, G. L. Cummings & K. N. Bancroft. Condoms and consequences: HIV/AIDS education and African-American women. Human Organization. 57: 273-283, 1992
- G. L. Cummings, R. S. Battle, J. C. Barker & F. M. Krasnovsky. Are African-American women worried about getting AIDS? A qualitative analysis. AIDS Education and Prevention 11(4): 331-342, 1992
- G. Hunt & J.C. Barker Socio-cultural anthropology and alcohol and drug research: Towards a unified model. Social Science and Medicine 53(2): 165-188, 2002
- J. C. Barker & G. Hunt. "Natural recovery in cross-cultural perspective." In Harald Klingemann, Linda Sobell, J. C. Barker, et al. Promoting Self-Change From Problem Substance Use: Practical Implications For Prevention, Policy And Treatment Dordrecht: Kluwer. Pp 167-190, 2001.
- C. R. Wolfsen, J. C. Barker & L. S. Mittemess. Smoking and health : Views of elderly nursing home residents. Journal of Gerontological Nursing 27(8): 6-9, August 2002
- J. C. Barker Neighbors, friends and other non-kin caregivers of community-living dependent elders. Journal of Gerontology: Social Sciences 57B: S158-S167, 2002
- J. C. Barker & J. Wood "Module 3: Socio-Cultural and Psychological Aspects of Aging" In J.B. Wood (Ed.), UCSF Academic Geriatric Resource Center Online Curriculum.. San Francisco, CA: University of California, San Francisco. http://ucsfagrc.org/ June 2002
- J. C. Barker Lesbian aging: An agenda for social research. In Gil Herdt & Brian De Vries (Eds). Gay And Lesbian Aging: Research And Future Directions. New York: Springer. Chapter 2, Pp 29-72, 2004.
- Mitteness, L. S. & J. C. Barker. Team and collaborative research In Clive Seale, Giampietro Gobo, Jay Gubrium & David Silverman, (Eds.), Qualitative Research Practice. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Chapter 18, pp 276-294. 2002
- J. C. Barker & G. Hunt. Representations of family: A review of the alcohol and other drug literature. International Journal Of Drug Policy. 15 (5-6): 347-356, 2004.
- J. C. Barker Review of Aging In Today's World: Conversations Between an Anthropologist and a Physician, Renee Rose Shield and Stanley M. Aronson. (Public Issues in Anthropological Perspective: Volume 4). New York: Berghahn Books. 2003. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute. 11(1): 155-156, 2002
- G. Herdt, J. C. Barker & B. de Vries. Social support in the lives of lesbians and gay men at midlife and beyond (in press, Journal of Sexuality and Social Policy)
- C.E .Franz, W. L. Hinton, R. L. Kravitz, Y. Flores-Ortiz, J. C. Barker & S. Krishnan Prescribing hope or grasping at straws? Primary care physicians' attitudes toward the use of cholinesterase inhibitors for the treatment of dementia (submitted, under review)
- Y. Flores-Ortiz, W. L. Hinton, C.E. Franz, J.C. Barker, M. I. Hernandez & A. Velasquez. Between love and obligation: Caregiving by Latino daughters of elderly with dementia. (submitted, under review)