Assistant Clinical Professor, Departments of Medicine and Epidemiology/Biostatistics, UCSF
Brown University, Rhode Island, BA, 1980, Human Biology
University of California San Francisco, California, MD, 1985, Medicine
Tufts University, 1990, Epidemiology Program
Medical Resident, Primary Care Internal Medicine, San Francisco General Hospital, University of California San Francisco
Chief, Clinical Studies Section, Research Branch, AIDS Office, San Francisco
Director, HIV Research Section, AIDS Office, San Francisco
Clinical Instructor of Medicine, Dept. of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
Assistant Clinical Professor, Departments of Medicine & Epidemiology, University of California San Francisco
Associate Clinical Professor, Departments of Medicine & Epidemiology, University of California San Francisco
- (selected from 2001-present)
- Marmor M, Sheppard HW, Donnell D, Bozeman S, Celum C, Buchbinder S, Koblin B, Seague III GR. Homozygous and heterozygous CCR5-32 genotypes are associated with resistance to HIV infection. JAIDS 2001; 27:472-81
- Seage III GR, Holte SE, Metzger D, Koblin BA, Gross M, Celum C, Marmor M, Woody G, Mayer KH, Stevens C, Judson FN, McKirnan D, Sheon A, Self S, Buchbinder S. Are US populations appropriate for trials of human immunodeficiency virus vaccine. Amer J Epidemiol 2001; 153:619-27
- Xiaojiang G, Nelson GW, Karacki P, Martin MP, Phair J, Kaslow R, Goedert JJ, Buchbinder S, Hoots K, Vlahov D, O'Brien SJ, Carrington M. Effect of a single amino acid change in MHC class I molecules on the rate of progression to AIDS. N Engl J Med 2001; 344:1668-75
- Islam SA, Hay CM, Hartman KE, He S, Shea AK, Trocha AK, Dynan MJ, Reshamwala N, Buchbinder SP, Basgoz NO, Kalams SA. Persistence of human immunodeficiency virus type 1-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte clones in a subject with rapid disease progression. J Virol. 2001 May;75(10):4907-11
- Ionannidis JPA, Rosenberg P, Goedert J, Ashton L, Benfield T, Buchbinder S, Coutinho R, Eugen-Olsen J, Gallart T, Katzenstein T, Kostrikis L, Kuipers H, Louie L, Mallal S, Margolick J, Martinez O, Meyer L, Michael N, Operskalski E, Pantaleo G, Rizzardi P, Schuitemaker H, Sheppard H, Stewart G, Theodorou I, Ullum H, Vicenzi E, Vlahov D, Wilkinson D, Workman C, Zagury JF, O'Brien T. Effects of CCR5-32, CCR2-64I, and SDF-1 3' A alleles on HIV-1 disease progression: an international meta-analysis of individual-patient data. Ann Intern Med 2001; 135:782-95
- Day CL, Shea AK, Altfeld MA, Olson DP, Buchbinder SP, Hecht FM, Rosenberg ES, Walker BD, Kalams SA. Relative dominance of epitope-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte responses in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infected persons with shared HLA alleles. J Virol. 2001 Jul;75(14):6279-91
- Vittinghoff E, Hessol NA, Bacchetti P, Fusaro RE, Holmberg SD, Buchbinder SP. Cofactors for HIV disease progression in a cohort of homosexual and bisexual men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2001 Jul 1;27(3):308-14
- Colfax GN, Mansergh G, Guzman R, Vittinghoff E, Marks G, Rader M, Buchbinder S. Drug use and sexual risk behavior among gay and bisexual men who attend circuit parties: a venue-based comparison. JAIDS. 2001 Dec 1;28(4):373-9
- Osmond DH, Buchbinder S, Cheng A, Graves A, Vittinghoff E, Cossen CK, Forghani B, Martin JN. Prevalence of Kaposi sarcoma-associated herpesvirus infection in homosexual men at beginning of and during the HIV epidemic. JAMA. 2002 Jan 9;287(2):221-5
- Mansergh G, Marks G, Colfax GN, Guzman R, Rader M, Buchbinder S. "Barebacking" in a diverse sample of men who have sex with men. AIDS. 2002 Mar 8;16(4):653-9
- Sheppard HW, Celum C, Michael NL, O'Brien S, Dean M, Carrington M, Dondero D, Buchbinder SP. HIV-1 infection in individuals with the CCR5-Delta32/Delta32 genotype: acquisition of syncytium-inducing virus at seroconversion. JAIDS. 2002 Mar 1;29(3):307-13
- Colfax GN, Buchbinder SP, Cornelisse PGA, Vittinghoff E, Mayer K, Celum C. Sexual risk behaviors and implications for secondary HIV transmission during and after HIV seroconversion. AIDS 2002 16: 1529-1535
- Renzi C, Douglas Jr JM, Foster M, Critchlow CW, Ashley-Morrow R, Buchbinder SP, Koblin BA, McKirnan DA, Mayer KH, Celum CL. Herpes simplex virus type 2 infection as a risk factor for human immunodeficiency virus acquisition in men who have sex with men. JID 2003; 187: 19-25
- Mulherin SA, O'Brien TR, Ioannidis JP, Goedert JJ, Buchbinder SP, Coutinho RA, Jamieson BD, Meyer L, Michael NL, Pantaleo G, Rizzardi GP, Schuitemaker H, Sheppard HW, Theodorou ID, Vlahov D, Rosenberg PS; International Meta-Analysis of HIV Host Genetics. Effects of CCR5-Delta32 and CCR2-64I alleles on HIV-1 disease progression: the protection varies with duration of infection. AIDS. 2003 Feb 14;17(3):377-87.
- Mansergh G, Marks G, Rader M, Colfax GN, Buchbinder S. Rectal use of nonoxynol-9 among men who have sex with men. AIDS. 2003 Apr 11;16(6):905-9.
- Modi WS, O'Brien TR, Vlahov D, Buchbinder S, Gomperts E, Phair J, O'Brien SJ, Winkler C. Haplotype diversity in the interleukin-4 gene is not associated with HIV-1 transmission and AIDS progression. Immunogenetics. 2003 Jun;55(3):157-64.
- Koblin BA, Chesney MA, Husnik MJ, Bozeman S, Celum CL, Buchbinder SP, Mayer KH, McKirnan DJ, Judson FN, Huang Y, Coates TJ. High risk behaviors among men who have sex with men in six cities in the United States; baseline data from the EXPLORE study. Am J Public Health, 2003 Jun; 93(6):926-32
- Delgado JC, Leung JY, Baena A, Clavijo OP, Vittinghoff E, Buchbinder S, Wolinsky S, Addo M, Walker BD, Yunis EJ, Goldfeld AE. The -1030/-862-linked TNF promoter single-nucleotide polymorphisms are associated with inability to control HIV-1 viremia. Immunogenetics. 2003 Oct;55(7):497-501.
- Modi WS, Goedert JJ, Strathdee S, Buchbinder S, Detels R, Donfield S, O'Brien SJ, Winkler C. MCP-1-MCP-3-Eotaxin gene cluster influences HIV-1 transmission. AIDS 2003 Nov 7;17(16):2357-2365.
- Buchbinder SP, Metch B, Holte, SE, Scheer S, Coletti A, Vittinghoff E. Determinants of enrollment in preventive HIV vaccine trial: hypothetical versus actual willingness and barriers to participation. JAIDS. 2004 May 1:36(1):604-12.
- Vanable P, McKirnan D, Buchbinder S, Bartholow B, Douglas J, Judson F, MacQueen K. Alcohol use and high-risk sexual behavior among men who have sex with men: The effects of consumption level and partner type. Health Psychol. 2004 Sep;23(5):525-32.
- Colfax G, Vittinghoff E, Husnik M, McKirnan D, Buchbinder S, Koblin B, Celum C, Chesney M, Huang Y, Mayer K, Bozeman S, Judson FN, Bryant K, Coates TJ. Substance use and sexual risk: A participant and episode-level analysis, among a cohort of men who have sex with men (MSM). Am J Epidemiol. 2004 May 15;159(10):1002-12.
- Colfax G, Guzman R, Wheeler S, Mansergh G, Marks G, Rader M, Buchbinder S. Beliefs about HIV re-infection (superinfection) and sexual behavior among a diverse sample of HIV-positive men who have sex with men (MSM). JAIDS. 2004 Aug 1;36(4):990-992.
- EXPLORE Study Team. Effects of a behaviroural intervention to reduce acquisition of HIV infection among men who have sex with me: the EXPLORE randomized controlled study. The Lancet. 2004 July 3;364:41-50.
- Sagar M, Kirkegard E, Long E.M, Celum C, Buchbinder S, Daar E.S., Overbaugh J. Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) diversity at the time of infection is not restricted to certain risk groupgs or specific HIV-1 subtypes. J Virol. 2004 Jul;78(13):7279-83.
- Lee D, Graham BS, Chiu YL, Gilbert PB, McElrath MJ, Belshe RB, Buchbinder S, Sheppard HW, Koblin BA, Mayer KH, Keefer MC, Mulligan MJ, Celum C. Breakthrough Infections during I-II Prime-Boost HIV-1 Vaccine Trials with Canarypox Vectors (ALVACTM) and Recombinant gp120 or gp160 Boost. JID. 2004 September 1;190:903-07.
- Ferrari G, Neal W, Ottinger J, Jones AM, Edwards BH, Goepfert P, Betts M, Koup RA, Buchbinder S, McElrath MJ, Weinhold KJ. Absence of Immunodominant Anti-Gag p17 (SL9) Responses among GAG CTL-Positive, HIV-Uninfected Vaccine Recipients Expressing the HLA-A *0201 Allele. J Immunol. 2004 Aug 1;173(3):2126-33.
- An P, Bleiber G, Duggal P, Nelson G, May M, Mangeat B, Alobwede I, Trono D, Donfield S, Goedert JJ, Phair J, Buchbinder S, Vlahov D, O'Brien SJ, Telenti A, Winkler C. APOBEC3G genetic variants and their influence on the progression to AIDS. J of Virology. 2004 Oct;78(20):11070-76.
- Chin-Hong PV, Vittinghoff E, Buchbinder S, Cohen D, Colfax G, Da Costa M, Darragh T, Hess E, Judson F, Koblin B, Madison M, Palefsky JM. Age-related prevalence of anal human papillomavirus infection among sexually active men who have sex with men. JID. 2004 Dec;190:2070-06.
- Bartholow BN, Buchbinder S, Connie C, Vamshidar G, Koblin B, Para M, Marmor M, Novak RM, Mayer K, Creticos C, Orozco-Cronin P, Popovic V, Mastro TD. HIV Sexual risk behavior over 36-months of follow-up in the world's first HIV vaccine efficacry trial. J Acquire Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 May 1;39(1):82-89.
- Buchbinder S, Vittinghoff E, Heagerty PJ, Celum C, Seage GR III, Judson FN, McKirnan D, Mayer KH, Koblin, BA. Sexual risk, nitrite inhalant use and lack of circumcision associated with HIV seroconversion in men who have sex with men in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 May 1;39(1):82-89.
- Guzman R, Colfax GN, Wheeler S, Mansergh G, Marks G, Rader M, Buchbinder S. Negotiated safety relationships and sexual behavior among a diverse sample of HIV-negative men who have sex with men. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 Jan 1;38(1):82-86.
- Peiperl L, Buchbinder S (2005) Challenges in Developing HIV Vaccines. In The AIDS Pandemic Impact on Science and Society. Mayer KH, Pizer HF eds., pp 162-189, London: Elsevier.