Program Director, Genitourinary Cancer Epidemiology and Population Sciences, Department of Urology, UCSF
Steven and Christine Burd-Safeway Distinguished Professor, UCSF
Research SummaryMy main research interests are in understanding how diet, exercise, hormones, and genetics contribute to prostate cancer incidence, progression, and death. I am particularly interested in identifying modifiable lifestyle risk factors for prostate cancer progression and using this information to help us better understand prostate cancer biology, as well as inform public health guidelines. I have worked in this area for 17+ years and was awarded the Steven & Christine Burd-Safeway Distinguished Professorship at UCSF in 2009 in recognition of my teaching, research, and service activities in the field of prostate cancer.
My work is highly collaborative, and the goals of our clinical and translational research studies are to identify risk-reduction strategies for men with or at high risk for prostate cancer; evaluate novel molecular markers of prostate cancer aggressiveness that may improve screening, diagnosis, or prognosis of clinically relevant disease; and improving cancer survivorship for the millions of men living with prostate cancer worldwide. I initiated the prospective Diet and Lifestyle Study within the Cancer of the Prostate Strategic Urologic Research Endeavor (CaPSURE) in 2004. I also collaborate with colleagues at the Harvard School of Public Health on the Health Professionals Follow-up Study to examine diet and lifestyle risk factors for prostate cancer progression, metastases, and death. I am PI on a randomized clinical trial examining an exercise intervention among men pursuing active surveillance for prostate cancer; co-PI on a large Dept. of Defense Translational Impact Award focused on improving risk stratification and decision support for men considering active surveillance for low risk prostate cancer; co-leader for a True NTH USA project focused on lifestyle; and Steering Committee member for GAP 4 (RCT on exercise in men with advanced prostate cancer).
Harvard College, Cambridge, MA , B.A., 1994, Applied Math in Biology
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, ScD, 11/98, Epidemiology (Cancer)
Harvard School of Public Health, Boston, MA, 11/98-11/00, Postdoctoral Fellow-Epidemiology
Research Assistant, Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health
Fulbright Scholar, Uppsala University, Sweden, Dept. of Medical Epidemiology
National Research Service Award Fellowship, National Cancer Institute (NCI), Training Program in Cancer Epidemiology - pre-doctoral
Teaching Fellow, Harvard School of Public Health
Project Director, Prostate Cancer Survivors Follow-up, Harvard Sch. of Public Health
Postdoctoral Fellow, Depts of Epidemiology/Nutrition, Harvard Sch. Public Health; National Research Service Award Fellowship, NCI, Training Program in Cancer Epidemiology - post-doctoral
Visiting Researcher, Dept. of Nutrition, National Public Health Institute, Helsinki, Finland
Instructor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
Assistant Professor, In Residence, Departments of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and Urology, University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
Program Director, Genitourinary Cancer Epid. and Pop. Sci., Dept. of Urology, UCSF
Associate Professor, In Residence, Departments of Epidemiology & Biostatistics and Urology, University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
Honors & Awards
Fulbright Scholar, Uppsala University, Sweden, Dept. of Medical Epidemiology
- 1996 & 1997
Pforzheimer Public Service Fellowship, Harvard University
Society for Epidemiologic Research Abraham Lilienfeld Student Prize
Association for the Cure of Cancer of the Prostate ("CaPCURE") - Young Investigator Award
AACR-AFLAC Young Investigator Scholars in Cancer Research Award
REAC Intramural award, UCSF
AACR-California Department of Health Services Early Career Development Award in Gender-Related Cancer Research (prostate)
Prostate Cancer Foundation ("CaPCURE") - Competitive Award (6/03 & 12/03)
- UCSF Equal Opportunity Faculty Development Award
- Chan, J.M., E.B. Rimm, G.A. Colditz, M.J. Stampfer, and W.C. Willett, Obesity, fat distribution, and weight gain as risk factors for clinical diabetes in men. Diabetes Care, 1994. 17(9): p. 961-9, 7988316.
- Rimm, E.B., J. Chan, M.J. Stampfer, G.A. Colditz, and W.C. Willett, Prospective study of cigarette smoking, alcohol use, and the risk of diabetes in men. BMJ, 1995. 310(6979): p. 555-9, 7888928.
- Chan, J.M., E. Giovannucci, S.O. Andersson, J. Yuen, H.O. Adami, and A. Wolk, Dairy products, calcium, phosphorous, vitamin D, and risk of prostate cancer (Sweden). Cancer Causes Control, 1998. 9(6): p. 559-66, 10189041.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, E. Giovannucci, P.H. Gann, J. Ma, P. Wilkinson, et al., Plasma insulin-like growth factor-I and prostate cancer risk: a prospective study. Science, 1998. 279(5350): p. 563-6, 9438850.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, and E.L. Giovannucci, What causes prostate cancer? A brief summary of the epidemiology. Semin Cancer Biol, 1998. 8(4): p. 263-73, 9870033.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, J. Ma, E.B. Rimm, W.C. Willett, and E.L. Giovannucci, Supplemental vitamin E intake and prostate cancer risk in a large cohort of men in the United States. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 1999. 8(10): p. 893-9, 10548318.
- Ma, J., M.N. Pollak, E. Giovannucci, J.M. Chan, Y. Tao, C.H. Hennekens, et al., Prospective study of colorectal cancer risk in men and plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor (IGF)-I and IGF-binding protein-3. J Natl Cancer Inst, 1999. 91(7): p. 620-5, 10203281.
- Chan, J.M., P. Pietinen, M. Virtanen, N. Malila, J. Tangrea, D. Albanes, et al., Diet and prostate cancer risk in a cohort of smokers, with a specific focus on calcium and phosphorus (Finland). Cancer Causes Control, 2000. 11(9): p. 859-67, 11075876.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, E. Giovannucci, J. Ma, and M. Pollak, Insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I), IGF-binding protein-3 and prostate cancer risk: epidemiological studies. Growth Horm IGF Res, 2000. 10 Suppl A: p. S32-3, 10984284.
- Ma, J., M. Pollak, E. Giovannucci, J.M. Chan, Y. Tao, C. Hennekens, et al., A prospective study of plasma levels of insulin-like growth factor I (IGF-I) and IGF-binding protein-3, and colorectal cancer risk among men. Growth Horm IGF Res, 2000. 10 Suppl A: p. S28-9, 10984282.
- Chan, J.M. and E.L. Giovannucci, Dairy products, calcium, and vitamin D and risk of prostate cancer. Epidemiol Rev, 2001. 23(1): p. 87-92, 11588859.
- Chan, J.M. and E.L. Giovannucci, Vegetables, fruits, associated micronutrients, and risk of prostate cancer. Epidemiol Rev, 2001. 23(1): p. 82-6, 11588858.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, J. Ma, P.H. Gann, J.M. Gaziano, and E.L. Giovannucci, Dairy products, calcium, and prostate cancer risk in the Physicians' Health Study. Am J Clin Nutr, 2001. 74(4): p. 549-54, 11566656.
- Ma, J., E. Giovannucci, M. Pollak, J.M. Chan, J.M. Gaziano, W. Willett, et al., Milk intake, circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I, and risk of colorectal cancer in men. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2001. 93(17): p. 1330-6, 11535708.
- Chan, J.M., M.J. Stampfer, J. Ma, P. Gann, J.M. Gaziano, M. Pollak, et al., Insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) and IGF binding protein-3 as predictors of advanced-stage prostate cancer. J Natl Cancer Inst, 2002. 94(14): p. 1099-106, 12122101.
- Leitzmann, M.F., M.J. Stampfer, J. Ma, J.M. Chan, G.A. Colditz, W.C. Willett, et al., Aspirin use in relation to risk of prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2002. 11(10 Pt 1): p. 1108-11, 12376516.
- Wu, K., W.C. Willett, J.M. Chan, C.S. Fuchs, G.A. Colditz, E.B. Rimm, et al., A prospective study on supplemental vitamin e intake and risk of colon cancer in women and men. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2002. 11(11): p. 1298-304, 12433706.
- Carroll, P.R., J.M. Chan, A.V. D'Amico, E.P. Gelmann, P. Iversen, L. Klotz, et al., Fourth International Conference on Innovations and Challenges in Prostate Cancer: Prevention, Detection and Treatment. J Urol, 2004. 172(5 Pt 2): p. S3-5, 15535434.
- Chan, J.M., R.M. Jou, and P.R. Carroll, The relative impact and future burden of prostate cancer in the United States. J Urol, 2004. 172(5 Pt 2): p. S13-6; discussion S17, 15535436.
- Ewart-Toland, A., J.M. Chan, J. Yuan, A. Balmain, and J. Ma, A gain of function TGFB1 polymorphism may be associated with late stage prostate cancer. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2004. 13(5): p. 759-64, 15159307.
- Anast JW, Sadetsky N, Pasta DJ, Bassett WW, Latini D, DuChane J, Chan JM, Cooperberg MR, Carroll PR, Kane CJ. The impact of obesity on health related quality of life before and after radical prostatectomy (data from CaPSURE). J Urol. 2005 Apr;173(4):1132-8. 15758721.
- Bassett, W.W., M.R. Cooperberg, N. Sadetsky, S. Silva, J. DuChane, D.J. Pasta, et al., Impact of obesity on prostate cancer recurrence after radical prostatectomy: data from CaPSURE. Urology, 2005. 66(5): p. 1060-5, 16286124.
- Chan, J.M., E.P. Elkin, S.J. Silva, J.M. Broering, D.M. Latini, and P.R. Carroll, Total and specific complementary and alternative medicine use in a large cohort of men with prostate cancer. Urology, 2005. 66(6): p. 1223-8, 16360447.
- Chan, J.M., P.H. Gann, and E.L. Giovannucci, Role of diet in prostate cancer development and progression. J Clin Oncol, 2005. 23(32): p. 8152-60, 16278466.
- Chan, J.M., D.M. Latini, J. Cowan, J. Duchane, and P.R. Carroll, History of diabetes, clinical features of prostate cancer, and prostate cancer recurrence-data from CaPSURE (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 2005. 16(7): p. 789-97, 16132789.
- Chan, J.M., F. Wang, and E.A. Holly, Vegetable and fruit intake and pancreatic cancer in a population-based case-control study in the San Francisco bay area. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 2005. 14(9): p. 2093-7, 16172215.
- Ewart-Toland A, Dai Q, Gao Y-T, Nagase H, Dunlop MG, Farrington SM, Barnetson RA, Anton-Culver H, Peel D, Ziogas A, Lin D, Miao X, Sun T, Ostrander EA, Stanford JL, Langlois M, Chan JM, Yuan J, Harris C, Bowman E, Clayman GL, Lippman SM, Lee JJ, Zheng W, Balmain A. Aurora-A/STK15 T+91A is a general low penetrance cancer susceptibility gene: a meta-analysis of multiple cancer types Aug;26:1368-73, 2005. 15802297.
- Kane CJ, Bassett WW, Sadetsky N, Silva S. Wallace K, Pasta DJ, Cooperberg MR, Chan JM, Carroll P. Obesity and Prostate Cancer Clinical Risk Factors at Presentation: Data From CaPSURETM . J Urol. 2005 Mar;173(3):732-6. 15711258.
- Sheriff, S.K., R.A. Shohara, S.B. Dumican, E.J. Small, P.R. Carroll, and J.M. Chan, Lifestyle correlates of health perception and treatment satisfaction in a clinical cohort of men with prostate cancer. Clin Prostate Cancer, 2005. 3(4): p. 239-45, 15882480.
- Chan, J.M., A. Feraco, M. Shuman, and S. Hernandez-Diaz, The epidemiology of prostate cancer--with a focus on nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am, 2006. 20(4): p. 797-809, 16861115.
- Chan, J.M., C.N. Holick, M.F. Leitzmann, E.B. Rimm, W.C. Willett, M.J. Stampfer, et al., Diet after diagnosis and the risk of prostate cancer progression, recurrence, and death (United States). Cancer Causes Control, 2006. 17(2): p. 199-208, 16425098.
- Latini, D.M., J.M. Chan, J.E. Cowan, S.A. Arredondo, C.J. Kane, D.F. Penson, et al., Health-related quality of life for men with prostate cancer and diabetes: a longitudinal analysis from CaPSURE. Urology, 2006. 68(6): p. 1242-7, 17141841.
- Bogen, K.T., G.A. Keating, 2nd, J.M. Chan, L.J. Paine, E.L. Simms, D.O. Nelson, et al., Highly elevated PSA and dietary PhIP intake in a prospective clinic-based study among African Americans. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis, 2007. 10(3): p. 261-9, 17224912.
- Chan, J.M., F. Wang, and E.A. Holly, Whole grains and risk of pancreatic cancer in a large population-based case-control study in the San Francisco Bay Area, California. Am J Epidemiol, 2007. 166(10): p. 1174-85, 17881383.
- Chan, J.M., F. Wang, and E.A. Holly, Pancreatic cancer, animal protein and dietary fat in a population-based study, San Francisco Bay Area, California. Cancer Causes Control, 2007. 18(10): p. 1153-67, 17805983.
- Keating, G.A., K.T. Bogen, and J.M. Chan, Development of a meat frequency questionnaire for use in diet and cancer studies. J Am Diet Assoc, 2007. 107(8): p. 1356-62, 17659903.
- Kenfield, S.A., S.T. Chang, and J.M. Chan, Diet and lifestyle interventions in active surveillance patients with favorable-risk prostate cancer. Curr Treat Options Oncol, 2007. 8(3): p. 173-96, 17763836.
- Penson, D.F. and J.M. Chan, Prostate cancer. J Urol, 2007. 177(6): p. 2020-9, 17509282.
- Ryan, C.J., C.M. Haqq, J. Simko, D.F. Nonaka, J.M. Chan, V. Weinberg, et al., Expression of insulin-like growth factor-1 receptor in local and metastatic prostate cancer. Urol Oncol, 2007. 25(2): p. 134-40, 17349528.
- Shannon, J., J.M. Shikany, E. Barrett-Connor, L.M. Marshall, C.H. Bunker, J.M. Chan, et al., Demographic factors associated with the diet quality of older US men: baseline data from the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) study. Public Health Nutr, 2007. 10(8): p. 810-8, 17381915.
- Dall'era, M.A., M.R. Cooperberg, J.M. Chan, B.J. Davies, P.C. Albertsen, L.H. Klotz, et al., Active surveillance for early-stage prostate cancer: review of the current literature. Cancer, 200818306379.
- Endogenous Hormones and Prostate Cancer Collaborative Group, Roddam AW, Allen NE, Appleby P, Key TJ. Endogenous sex hormones and prostate cancer: a collaborative analysis of 18 prospective studies. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2008 Feb 6;100(3):170-83. Epub 2008 Jan 29. 18230794
- Roddam AW, Allen NE, Appleby P, Key TJ, Ferrucci L, Carter HB, et al. Insulin-like growth factors, their binding proteins, and prostate cancer risk: analysis of individual patient data from 12 prospective studies. Ann Intern Med. 2008 Oct 7;149(7):461-71, W83-8. 18838726
- Farhat GN, Taioli E, Cauley JA, et al: The association of bone mineral density with prostate cancer risk in the Osteoporotic Fractures in Men (MrOS) Study. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 18:148-54, 2009. 19124492
- Fall K, Stark JR, Mucci LA, Chan JM, Stampfer MJ, Kurth T, Febbo PG, Kantoff P, Ma J. No association between a polymorphic variant of the IRS-1 gene and prostate cancer risk. Prostate 68:1416-20, 2008. 18615538
- Walsh TJ, Croughan MS, Schembri M, Chan JM, Turek PJ. Increased risk of testicular germ cell cancer among infertile men. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Feb 23;169(4):351-6. 19237718
- Chan JM, Wang F, Holly EA. Sweets, sweetened beverages, and risk of pancreatic cancer in a large population-based case-control study. Cancer Causes Control. 2009 Mar 11. 19277880