Professor Emeritus, Department of Medicine (General Internal Medicine), UCSF
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, B.A., 1969, Psychology
Union Theological Seminary, N.Y., N.Y., (no degree), 1970, Ethics
University of California San Francisco, M.D., 1976, Medicine
Internship: San Francisco General Hospital (Internal Medicine)
Residency: University of California San Francisco, (Internal Medicine)
Fellowship: University of California San Francisco (Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine)
Professor and Chief, Division of General Internal Medicine, UCSF
Associate Chair for Clinical Research, Department of Medicine, UCSF; Professor of Medicine, Epidemiology & Biostatistics; Director of Coordinating Center
Assistant Dean for Clinical Research
Honors & Awards
Henry J. Kaiser Faculty Fellowship Award in General Internal Medicine
Board of Directors, National Osteoporosis Foundation
Advisory Panel on Osteoporosis, US Congress, Office of Technology Assessment
Elected Faculty AOA
Member, Scientific Advisory Board, National Osteoporosis Foundation
Consultant, World Health Organization (assigned to China)
National Osteoporosis Foundation Clinical Guidelines Core Committee
Elected, American Association of Physicians (AAP)
Elected, Council of American Society for Bone & Mineral Research (ASBMR)
- Cummings SR. Are patients with hip fractures more osteoporotic? A review of the evidence. Am J Med 1985; 78:487-494.
- Cummings SR, Kelsey JL, Nevitt M, O'Dowd K: Epidemiology of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures. Epidemiol Rev 1985; 7:178-208.
- Cummings SR, Black D. Should perimenopausal women be screened for osteoporosis? Ann Int Med 1986; 104:817-823.
- Nevitt MC, Cummings SR, Kidd S, Black D. Risk factors for recurrent nonsyncopal falls in older persons. JAMA 1989;261:2663-2668.
- Cummings SR, Nevitt MC. The causes of hip fractures: a hypothesis. J Gerontol Med Sci 1989;44: M107-111.
- Cummings SR, Rubin S, Black D. The lifetime risk of hip and Colles' fractures and coronary heart disease among postmenopausal women. Arch Int Med 1989;149:2445-2448.
- Cummings SR, Black D, Nevitt MC, Arnaud CA, Browner WB, Cauley J, Genant HK, Mascioli S, Scott J, Seeley D, Sherwin R, Steiger P, Vogt TM and the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Appendicular bone density and age predict hip fractures in women. JAMA 1990;263:665-668.
- Browner WS, Seeley D, Vogt T, Cummings SR, and the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Increased mortality from non-traumatic causes in elderly women with osteopenia. Lancet 1991;338:355-358.
- Seeley D, Browner WS, Nevitt MC, Genant HK, Scott, J, Cummings SR, and the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Which fractures are associated with reduced bone mass? Ann Intern Med 1991;115:837-842.
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Melton LJ. Appendicular bone mineral and a womans lifetime risk of hip fracture. J Bone Miner Res 1992;7:639-646.
- Grady D, Rubin S, Petitti D, Fox C, Black D, Ettinger B, Ernster V, Cummings SR. Hormone therapy in Postmenopausal women. Ann Intern Med 1992;112:1016-1041.
- Cummings SR, Black DM, Nevitt MC, Browner W, Cauley J, Ensrud K, Genant HK, Palermo L, Scott J, Vogt TM for the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Bone density at various sites for prediction of hip fractures. Lancet 1993;341:72-75.
- Cummings SR, Cauley J, Palermo L, Ross PD, Wasnich RD, Black D, Faulkner KG. Racial differences in hip axis lengths might explain racial differences in rates of hip fracture. Osteop Int 1994;4:226-229.
- Cauley JA, Seeley, DG, Ensrud K, Ettinger B, Black D, Cummings SR and the Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Estrogen replacement therapy and fractures in older women: A prospective study. Ann Intern Med 1995;122:9-16
- Cummings SR, Nevitt MC, Browner W, et. al. Risk factors for hip fracture in white women: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. N Engl J Med 1995;332:767-773.
- Cauley JA, Lucas FL, Kuller LH, Vogt MT, Browner WS, Cummings SR. BMD predicts the risk of breast cancer in older women. The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. JAMA 1996;276:1404-1408
- Black DM, Cummings SR, Karpf DB, Cauley JA, Thompson DE, Nevitt MC, et al. Randomized trial of effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with existing vertebral fractures. Lancet 1996;348:1535-1541.
- Xu L, Lu A, Zhao X, Chen X, Cummings SR. Very low rates of hip fractures in Beijing, China: The Beijing Osteoporosis roject. Am J Epidemiol 1996; 144:901-907.
- Cummings SR, Ling X, Stone K. Consequences of foot binding among older women in Beijing, China. Am J Public Health, 1997; 87:1677-1679.
- Cummings SR, Browner WS, Bauer D, Stone K, Ensrud K, Jamal S, Ettinger, B. Endogenous sex and calciotropic hormones and the risk of hip and vertebral fractures in older women: The Study of Osteoporotic Fractures. N Engl J Med 1998;339:733-738.
- Cummings SR, Black DM, Thompson DE, Applegate WB, Barrett-Connor E, Musliner TA, Palermo L, Prineas R, Rubin SM, Scott JC, Vogt T, Wallace R, Yates AJ, LaCroix AZ; for the Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. Effect of alendronate on risk of fracture in women with low bone density but without vertebral fractures. Results from the Fracture Intervention Trial. JAMA 1998;280:2077-2082.
- Black DM, Arden NK, Palermo L, Pearson J, Cummings SR. Prevalent vertebral deformities predict hip fractures and new vertebral deformities but not wrist fractures. J Bone Miner Res. 1999;14(5):821-828.
- Cauley JA, Lucas FL, Kuller LH, Stone K, Browner W, Cummings SR. Elevated serum estradiol and testosterone concentrations are associated with high risk of breast cancer. Ann Intern Med. 1999;130:270-277.
- Cummings SR, Eckert S, Krueger, KA, Grady D, Powles TJ, Cauley JA, Norton L, Nickelsen T, Bjarnason NH, Morrow M, Lippman ME, Black D, Glusman JE, Costa A, Jordan VC. The effect of raloxifene on risk of breast cancer in postmenopausal women: Results from the MORE randomized trial. JAMA 1999; 281(23):2189-2197
- Book: Hulley SB, Cummings SR (eds). Designing Clinical Research: An Epidemiologic Approach. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, Second Edition, 2000.
- Ettinger B, Black DM, Mitlak BH, et al. and Cummings SR. Reduction of vertebral fracture risk in postmenopausal women with osteoporosis treated with raloxifene: results from a 3-year randomized clinical trial. Multiple Outcomes of Raloxifene Evaluation (MORE) Investigators. JAMA 1999;383:637-45.
- Ling X, Cummings SR, Mingwei Q, Xihe Z, Xioashu C, Nevitt M, Stone K. Vertebral fractures in Beijing, China: The Beijing Osteoporosis Project. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research 2000; 15: 2019-2025
- Cummings SR, Palermo L, Browner W, Marcus R, Wallace R, Pearson J, Blackwell T, Eckert S, Black DM. Monitoring osteoporosis therapy with bone densitometry: misleading changes and regression to the mean. Fracture Intervention Trial Research Group. JAMA 2000;283:1318-21.
- Book: Hulley SB, Cummings SR (eds). Designing Clinical Research: An Epidemiologic Approach. Baltimore: Williams and Wilkins, 1988.