Professor, Department of Physiological Nursing; Adjunct Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, UCSF
Queen Mary's Hospital, London, England, RN, 1967, Nursing Diploma
University of Washington, Seattle, WABS, MA, 1973, 1975, Nsg, Nsg & Bus Admin
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, MPH, 1985, Public Health (PH)
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, PhD, 1989, PH: Epidemiol & Biostat
Director, Cardiac Rehabilitation, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA
Epidemiologist and Project Director, CDC, LA County, Dept. Health Services, AIDS Epidemiology Program, Los Angeles, CA
Chair, Department of Physiological Nursing, School of Nursing
Professor, Department of Physiological Nursing, School of Nursing,
Adjunct Professor, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, CA
Honors & Awards
American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, Kay Lembright Award for Nursing Research
Fellow, American Association of Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation
Book of the Year Award for Cardiac Nursing, American Nurses' Association
Fellow, American Heart Association, Council on Cardiovascular Nursing
Fellow, American Academy of Nursing
Award of Meritorious Achievement, American Heart Association
- 1981 Sivarajan ES, Bruce RA, Almes MJ, Green B, et al. In-hospital exercise after myocardial infarction does not improve treadmill performance. New England Journal of Medicine, 305, 357-62.
- 1982 Sivarajan ES, Bruce RA, Lindskog BD, Almes MJ, Belanger L, et al. Treadmill test responses to an early exercise program after myocardial infarction: a randomized study. Circulation, 65, 1420-1428.
- 1994 Larson PJ, Carrieri-Kohlman V, Dodd MJ, Douglas M, Faucett J, Froelicher ES, et al. A model for symptom management. Image, 26(4), 272-276.
- 1995 Wenger NK, Froelicher ES, Smith LK et al. Cardiac rehabilitation clinical practice guidelines No. 17. Rockville, MD: AHCPR Pub. No. 96-0673
- 1996 Fletcher GF, Balady G, Blair SN, Blumenthal J, Caspersen C, Chartman B, Epstein S, Sivarajan Froelicher E, Froelicher VF, et al. Statement on Exercise: Benefits and Recommendations for Physical Activity Programs for Americans. Circulation; 96:857.
- 1996 Sivarajan Froelicher E. Tracing myocardial infarction patients for a ten-year follow-up study. Nursing Research; 45:(6) Nov/Dec.
- 1996 Selby JV, Fireman BH, Lundstrom RJ, Swain BE, Truman AF, Wong CC, Froelicher ES et al. Variation among hospitals in coronary-angiography practices and outcomes of acute myocardial infarction in a large health maintenance organization. The NEJM, 335:1888-96.
- 1997 Wong CC, Froelicher ES, Selby JV, Lundstrom RJ, et al. Influence of gender on one year cardiovascular mortality in acute myocardial infarction patients with high indication for coronary angiography. Circulation,96(Suppl II):II-51 - II-57.
- 1998 Wong CC, Froelicher ES, Bacchetti P, Gee L. In a managed care setting, are there gender differences in the use of coronary angioplasty after myocardial infarction? Am Heart J, 135:435-442.
- 1998 Balady G, Chaitman B, Foster C, Froelicher ES, et al.. Recommendations for cardiovascular screening, staffing & emergency policies at health/fitness facilities. Circulation, 97:2283-93.
- 1999 Wenger NK, Smith LK, Sivarajan Froelicher E, McCall Comoss. Cardiac Rehabilitation. A Guide to Practice in the 21st Century. New York: Marcel Dekker.
- 2000 Caldwell Ma, Sivarajan Froelicher E, Drew BJ. Prehospital delay time in acute myocardial infarction: An exploratory study on relation to hospital outcomes and cost. Am Heart J 2000 139:788-798.
- 2000 The ENRICHD investigators. Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease Patients (ENRICHD): Study design and methods. Am Heart J 2000; 139:1-9.
- 2001 The ENRICHD investigators. Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease Patients (ENRICHD): Baseline Characteristics. Am J Cardiol, 88:316-322.
- 2001 The ENRICHD investigators. Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease Patients (ENRICHD) Study Intervention: Rationale and Design. Psychosomatic Medicine 63:747:755.
- 2001 Mendes de Leon C, DiLillo V, Czajkowski S, Norten J, Schaefer J, Catellier D, Blumenthal for The ENRICHD investigators. Psychosocial characteristics after acute myocardial infarction: The ENRICHD Pilot Study. Journal of Cardiac Rehabilitation, 21:353-362.
- 2003 The ENRICHD Investigators. Effects of treating depression and low perceived social support on clinical events after myocardial infarction. Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease Patients (ENRICHD) Randomized Trial. JAMA. 289 (23) 3106-3116.
- 2003 Sivarajan Froelicher ES, Houston Miller N, Buzaitis A, et al., for the ENRICHD Investigators. The Enhancing Recovery in Coronary Heart Disease (ENRICHD) Trial: Strategies and Techniques to Enhance Retention of Patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction and Depression and/or Social Isolation in the ENRICHD Trial. Journal of Cardiac Rehabilitation; Jul-Aug;23(4):269-80.
- 2000 Sivarajan Froelicher ES, Christopherson DJ. Womens initiative for non-smoking (WINS) I: Design and methods. Heart & Lung, 29(6): 429-37.
- 2000 Martin K, Froelicher ES, Miller HN. Womens initiative for non-smoking (WINS) II: The intervention. Heart & Lung, 29(6): 438-45.
- 2002 Sivarajan Froelicher ES, Kozuki Y. Theoretical Applications of Smoking Cessation Interventions to Individuals with Medical Conditions: Womens initiative for nonsmoking (WINS). International Journal of Nursing Studies. 39:1-5.
- 2002 Froelicher ES, Christopherson DJ, and Miller HN. Womens initiative for nonsmoking (WINS) IV: Baseline results of 278 women smokers with cardiovascular disease. Heart Lung. 2002; 31(1):3-14
- 2002 Mahrer-Imhof R, Li WW, Froelicher ES. Under use of nicotine replacement therapy (NRT): Womens Initiative for non-smoking (WINS) V. Heart & Lung. 2002; 31 (5): 368-373.
- 2002 Froelicher ES, Lorig K. Who cares about recruitment anyway? Patient Educ Couns. Oct -Nov;48(2):97.Editorial.
- 2003 Sohn M, Hartley C, Sivarajan Froelicher E, Benowitz NL. Tobacco use and dependence. Seminars in Oncology Nursing; 19;(4): 250-260.
- 2003 Hutchinson KM, Froelicher EA. Populations at risk for tobacco-related diseases. Semin Oncol Nurs. Nov;19(4):276-83.
- 2003 Sarna L, Bialous SA, Hutchinson KM, Williams BS, Froelicher ES, et al. Views of African-American nurses about tobacco cessation and prevention. J Natl Black Nurses Assoc. Dec;14(2):1-8.
- 2003 Norton DE, Froelicher ES, Waters CM, Carrieri-Kohlman V. Parental influence on models of primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in children. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. Dec; 2(4): 311-22.
- 2003 Mitchell PH, Powell L, Blumenthal J, Norten J, Ironson G, Pitula CR, Froelicher ES, Czajkowski S, et al. A short social support measure for patients recovering from myocardial infarction: the ENRICHD Social Support Inventory Cardiopulm Rehabil Nov-Dec;23 (6):398-403.
- 2003 De Geest S, Dunbar S, Froelicher E, Grady K, et al. AHA-European Society of Cardiology's International Nursing Collaboration. Building bridges: the American Heart Association-European Society of Cardiology's International Nursing Collaboration. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. Dec;2(4):251-3.
- 2004 Sivarajan Froelicher ES, Houston Miller N, Christopherson DJ, Martin K, et al. High Rates of Sustained Smoking Cessation in Women Hospitalized with Cardiovascular Disease: The Womens Initiative for Nonsmoking (WINS VI). Circulation. 109:578-593
- 2004 Sivarajan Froelicher E, Li WW, Mahrer-Imhof R, Christopherson R, Stewart AL. Womens Initiative for Nonsmoking (WINS) VIII: Reliability and Validity of Health and Psychosocial Measures in Women Smokers with Cardiovascular Disease. Heart & Lung, 2004; 33:162-175.
- 2004 Taylor-Piliae RE, Froelicher ES. Effectiveness of Tai Chi exercise in improving aerobic capacity: a meta-analysis. Journal of Cardiovascular Nursing. Jan-Feb;19(1):48-57.
- 2004 Froelicher ES, Li WW, Mahrer-Imhof R, Christopherson D, Stewart AL.Women's Initiative for Non- Smoking (WINS) VI: Reliability and validity of health and psychosocial measures in women smokers with cardiovascular disease. Heart Lung. May-Jun;33(3):162-75.
- 2004 Fukuoka Y, Dracup K, Kobayashi F, Ohno M, Froelicher ES, Hirayama H. Illness attribution among Japanese patients with acute myocardial infarction. Heart Lung. May-Jun; 33(3):146-53.