Benjamin J. Huang, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, UCSF
Attending Pediatric Hematologist/Oncologist, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsPediatric Malignancies
Research SummaryI am a physician-scientist whose research program focuses on mouse cancer modeling, molecular therapeutics, functional genomics, and biomarker discovery in hematologic cancers. My recent data indicate that targeting downstream Ras effector pathways and bromodomain and extraterminal (BET) proteins is highly synergistic in vivo and represents a novel approach for the treatment of pediatric acute myeloid leukemia (AML). Additional contributions to science include collaborations that have involved RAS/NF1-driven cancers and the implementation of computational pipelines for analyzing integrated (epi)genomic preclinical and clinical data. These collaborations include recent projects that incorporate primary samples from patients enrolled on North American Children's Oncology Group clinical trials, as well as early phase clinical trials. My overall goal is to develop new therapeutic strategies in AML to inform biology-driven, genetically stratified trials of innovative drug combinations.
University of California, Berkeley, BS, 06/2005, Electrical Engineering and Computer Sciences
University of California, San Francisco, MD, 06/2010, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Residency, 06/2013, Pediatrics
University of California, San Francisco, Fellowship, 06/2016, Pediatric Hematology/Oncology
Honors & Awards
UC Berkeley Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Award
Alpha Omega Alpha, Medical Honor Society
UCSF School of Medicine Essential Core Teaching Award
UCSF Pediatric Residency Ahmad Ghanea Bassiri Award Finalist
UCSF Pediatric Residency Rudolph Award Finalist
UCSF School of Medicine Core Clerkship Teaching Award
St. Baldrick’s Foundation Fellowship Award
Bleecher Junior Faculty Research Award
Hyundai Hope on Wheels Scholar Award
St. Baldrick's Foundation Scholar Award
Rally Foundation Career Development Award
- Pucciarelli D, Angus SP, Huang B, Zhang C, Nakaoka HJ, Krishnamurthi G, Bandyopadhyay S, Clapp DW, Shannon K, Johnson GL, Nakamura JL. Nf1-Mutant Tumors Undergo Transcriptome and Kinome Remodeling after Inhibition of either mTOR or MEK. Mol Cancer Ther. 2020 Aug 26.
- Zambetti NA, Firestone AJ, Remsberg JR, Huang B, Wong JC, Long AM, Predovic M, Suciu RM, Inguva A, Kogan SC, Haigis KM, Cravatt BF, Shannon K. Genetic disruption of N-RasG12D palmitoylation perturbs hematopoiesis and prevents myeloid transformation in mice. Blood. 2020 May 14;135(20):1772-1782.
- Wandler AM, Huang B, Craig J, Hayes K, Yan H, Meyer LK, Scacchetti A, Monsalve G, Dail M, Li Q, Wong JC, Weinberg O, Hasserjian RP, Kogan SC, Yamamoto K, Sampath D, Nakitandwe J, Downing JR, Zhang J, Aster JC, Taylor BS, and Shannon K. Loss of glucocorticoid receptor expression mediates in vivo dexamethasone resistance in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Leukemia. 2020 Feb 17.
- Meyer LK, Huang B, Delgado-Martin C, Roy R, Hechmer A, Wandler AM, Vincent TL, Olshen A, Wood BL, Horton TM, Shannon KM, Teachey DT, Hermiston ML. Glucocorticoids paradoxically facilitate steroid resistance in T-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemias. J Clin Invest. 2020 Jan 13. pii: 130189.
- Huang B, Wandler A, Meyer L, Dail M, Daemen A, Sampath D, Li Q, Wang X, Wong JC, Nakitandwe J, Downing JR, Zhang J, Taylor B, Shannon K. Convergent genetic aberrations in murine and human T lineage acute lymphoblastic leukemias. PLoS Genet. 2019 Jun 14;15(6):e1008168.
- Huang B, Hwang E, Wandler A, Powell B, Bollag G, Shannon K. Response and Resistance to Bromodomain Inhibition in AML Driven by Hyperactive Ras Signaling. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), 2017 616:1654.
- Burgess MR, Hwang E, Mroue R, Bielski CM, Wandler AM, Huang B, Firestone AJ, Young A, LaCap J, Crocker L, Asthana S, Davis EM, Xu J, Akagi K, Le Beau MM, Li Q, Stokoe D, Sampath D, Taylor BS, Evangelista M, Shannon K. KRAS Allelic Imbalance Enhances Fitness and Modulates MAP Kinase Dependence in Cancer. Cell. 2017 Feb 23;168(5):817-829.e15.
- Delgado-Martin C, Meyer LK, Huang B, Shimano KA, Zinter MS, Nguyen JV, Smith GA, Taunton J, Winter SS, Roderick JR, Kelliher MA, Horton TM, Wood BL, Teachey D, Hermiston ML. JAK/STAT Pathway Inhibition Overcomes IL7-induced Glucocorticoid Resistance in a Subset of Human T-cell AcuteLymphoblastic Leukemias. Leukemia. 2017 Dec;31(12):2568-2576.
- Dail M, Li Q, McDaniel A, Wong J, Akagi K, Huang B, Kang HC, Kogan SC, Shokat K, Wolff L, Braun BS, Shannon K. Mutant Ikzf1, KrasG12D, and Notch1 Cooperate in T-lineage Leukemogenesis and Modulate Responses to Targeted Agents. Proc Natl Acad Sci. 2010 Mar 16;107(11):5106-11.
- Li Q, Haigis K, McDaniel A, Huang B, Miller M, Shieh A, Kogan SC, Wolff L, Jacks T, Shannon K. Expressing NrasG12D from the endogenous promoter induces myeloproliferative disease and cooperateswith retroviral insertional mutagenesis to generate acute myeloid leukemia. Blood (ASH Annual Meeting Abstracts), 2007 110:1616.