Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine
Northwestern University; Evanston, IL, B.A., 09/96-06/99, Sociology
Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University; Chicago, IL, M.D., 08/99-05/03
Medicine, McGaw Medical Center, Northwestern Memorial Hospital; Chicago, IL, 06/03-06/06, Residency, Internal Medicine
Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center; Los Angeles, CA, 07/06-09/11
Fellowship, Hematology-Oncology, Pardee RAND Graduate School; Santa Monica, CA, M.Phil., 09/07-09/11, Policy Analysis, Ph.D. expected 2012
Internal Medicine Residency, Northwestern Memorial Hospital; Chicago, IL
Clinical Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, UCLA Medical Center; Los Angeles, CA
Graduate Student, Pardee RAND Graduate School; Santa Monica, CA
Postdoctoral Hematology-Oncology Fellowship, UCLA Medical Center; Los Angeles, CA
Adjunct Staff Researcher, RAND; Santa Monica, CA
Assistant Professor of Clinical Medicine, UCSF School of Medicine; San Francisco, CA
Honors & Awards
John A. Hartford/AFAR Medical Student Scholarship, American Federation of Aging Research
- 2003, 2004, 2006
Goldberg Family Charitable Trust Travel Award, Northwestern Memorial Foundation
- 2004, 2005
Excellence in Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University
James R. Webster, Jr. Award, Department of Medicine, Northwestern University
ATVB Merit Award for Young Investigators, American Heart Association
Specialty Training & Advanced Research Program, UCLA School of Medicine
Chief Fellow, Division of Hematology-Oncology, UCLA School of Medicine
NIH Loan Repayment Program, NHLBI
Mount Zion Health Fund Educational Travel Award
Hematology Teaching Award, Department of Medicine, UCSF
- 1. Angelos P, DaRosa DA, Derossis AM, Kim B. Medical ethics curriculum for surgical residents: results of a pilot project. Surgery. 1999;126:701-705; discussion 705-707.
- 2. Kim B, Lyons TM, Parada JP, et al. HIV-related Pneumocystis carinii pneumonia in older patients hospitalized in the early HAART era. JGIM. 2001;16:583-589; discussion 639-641.
- 3. Zakarija A, Bandarenko N, Pandey DK, Auerbach A, Raisch DW, Kim B, Kwaan HC, McKoy JM, Schmitt BP, Davidson CJ, Yarnold PR, Gorelick PB, Bennett CL. Clopidogrel-associated TTP: an update of pharmacovigilance efforts conducted by independent researchers, pharmaceutical suppliers, and the Food and Drug Administration. Stroke. 2004;35:533-537; discussion 537-538.
- 4. Bennett CL, Luminari S, Nissenson A, Tallman MS, Klinge SA, McWilliams N, McKoy JM, Kim B, Lyons EA, Trifilio S, Raisch DW, Evens AM, Kuzel TM, Schumock GT, Belknap SM, Locatelli F, Rossert J, Casadevall N. Pure red-cell aplasia and recombinant epoetin therapy—a follow-up report from the Research on Adverse Drug Events and Reports project. New Engl J Med. 2004;351:1403-1408; discussion 1385-1387.
- 5. Chadha P, Rademaker AW, Mendiratta P, Kim B, Evanchuk DM, Hakimian D, Peterson LC, Tallman MS. Treatment of hairy cell leukemia with 2-chlorodeoxyadenosine (2-CdA): long-term follow-up of the Northwestern University experience. Blood. 2005;106:241-246.
- 6. Bennett CL, Cournoyer D, Carson KR, Rossert J, Luminari S, Evens AM, Locatelli F, Belknap SM, McKoy JM, Lyons EA, Kim B, Sharma R, Costello S, Toffelmire EB, Wells GA, Messner HA, Yarnold PR, Trifilio SM, Raisch DW, Kuzel TM, Nissenson A, Lim LC, Tallman MS, Casadevall N. Long-term outcome of individuals with pure red cell aplasia and antierythropoietin antibodies in patients treated with recombinant epoetin: a follow-up report from the Research on Adverse Drug Events and Reports (RADAR) Project. Blood. 2005;106:3343-3347.
- 7. Swisher KK, Doan JT, Vesely SK, Kwaan HC, Kim B, Laemmle B, Kremer Hovinga JA, George JN. Pancreatitis preceding acute episodes of thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura-hemolytic uremic syndrome: report of five patients with a systematic review of published reports. Haematologica. 2007;92:936-43.
- 8. Bennett CL, Kim B, Kwaan HC, Zakarija A, Bandarenko N, Pandey DK, Sarode R, McKoy JM, Tevar AD, Cursio JF, Raife TJ, Kiss JE, Raisch DW, Davidson C, Sadler JE, Ortel TL, Zheng XL, Kato S, Matsumoto M, Uemura M, Fujimura Y. Thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura associated with ticlopidine and clopidogrel: an update from the Surveillance, Epidemiology, and Risk Factors for Thrombotic Thrombocytopenic Purpura (SERF-TTP) Research Group. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2007;50:1138-43. Epub 2007 Sep 4.
- 9. Scheuner M, de Vries H, Kim B, Meili RC, Olmstead SH, Teleki S. Are electronic health records ready for genomic medicine? Genet Med. 2009;11:510-7.
- 10. Oratz R, Kim B, Chao C, Skrzypczak S, Ory C, Bugarini R, Broder M. Impact of a 21-gene recurrence score assay results on treatment recommendations for patients with lymph node-positive and estrogen receptor-positive breast cancer. J Oncol Pract. 2011;7:94-99.
- 11. Kim B, Roth C, Chung KC, Young VL, van Busum K, Schnyer C, Mattke S. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma and breast implants: a systematic review. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;127:2141-50.
- 12. Kim B, Roth C, Young VL, Chung KC, van Busum K, Schnyer C, Mattke S. Anaplastic large cell lymphoma and breast implants: results from a structured expert consultation process. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2011;128:629-39.
- 13. Potosky AL, Malin JL, Kim B, Chrischilles EA, Makgoeng S, Howlader N, Weeks JC. Use of colony-stimulating growth factors with chemotherapy: opportunities for cost savings and improved outcomes. J Natl Caner Inst. 2011;103:979-82.
- 14. Potosky AL, Malin JL, Kim B, Chrischilles EA, Weeks JC. Re: personalized medicine and cancer supportive care: appropriate use of colony-stimulating factor support of chemotherapy. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2011;103:1899-901.
- 15. Wang G, Kuppermann M, Kim B, Phillips KA, Ladabaum U. Influence of patient preferences on the cost-effectiveness of screening for Lynch syndrome. Am J Manag Care. 2012;18:e179-85.
- 16. Sauna ZE, Ameri A, Kim B, Yanover C, Viel KR, Rajalingam R, Cole SA, Howard TE. Observations regarding the immunogenicity of BDD-rFVIII derived from a mechanistic personalized medicine perspective. J Thromb Haemost. In press.
- 17. Houchens N, Dhaliwal G, Askari F, Kim B, Saint S. The essential element. New Engl J Med. In press.