Professor, Department of Medicine, UCSF
Stanford University, Stanford, CA, A.B., 1956, Biology
Cornell University Medical College, New York, NY, M.D., 1960, Medicine
Stanford University, Stanford, CA (Graduate-at-Large), 1965-66, Biochemistry
Internship and Residency in Medicine, Kings County - Down State Medical Center
Residency in Medicine, Cornell Division of Bellevue Hospital & Memorial Hospital-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
NIH Clinical traineeship in Gastroenterology, Cornell Division of Bellevue Hospital & Memorial Hospital-Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Instructor in Medicine, Cornell Univ Medical College
Research Associate, Dept of Pathology, Stanford University School of Medicine
Assistant Professor of Biochemistry, New York Medical College
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Director, Gastrointestinal Research Laboratory, VA Medical Center, SF
Associate Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Member, Cancer Research Institute, University of Calif, San Francisco
Professor of Pathology, University of California, San Francisco, School of Medicine
Medical Investigator of the Veterans Administration
Senior Research Scientist, Northern California Institute for Research & Education
Member, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
Honors & Awards
Am Cancer Soc Scholar Award
Western Gastro Research Award
VA Medical Investigator Award
William S. Middleton Award, Dept. of Veterans Affairs
NIH MERIT Award
Ho-Am Prize in Medical Science
Am Gastro Assoc Distinguished Achievement Award
- Fellow, Am College of Physicians, Assoc of Am Physicians, Am Soc for Clinical Investigation, Am Soc Biol Chem
- Assoc Editor, Gastroenterology (1981-1986), Cancer Res (1987-1995, 1997-2003), and Pancreas (1988-1999)
- Editorial Board, Dig Dis Sci (1974-1976), Gastro (1975-1980), Int J Pancreatology (1986-), Tumor Biology (1993-), Int J Oncology (1997-), Int. J. Gastrointestinal Oncology, 2001-
NIH General Medicine A Study Section
NCI Natl Large Bowel Cancer Project Working Cadre
NCI Organ Systems Program, Large Bowel Cancer Working Group
NIH Clinical Science Study Section
NCI Pancreas Cancer Think Tank Working Groups (Biology)
NCI Colorectal Cancer Think Tank Working Group
- Deng G, Nguyen A, Tanaka H, Matsuzaki K, Bell I, Mehta KR, Terdiman JP, Waldman FM, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Distinct epigenetic events, regional hypermethylation and global hypomethylation, cause distinct genotypes in colorectal cancers. Int. J. Cancer, in press, 2006.
- Tanaka H, Deng G, Matsuzaki K, Kakar S, Kim G, Miura S, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. BRAF mutation, CpG island methylator phenotype and microsatellite instability in mucinous and non-mucinous colorectal cancer. Int. J. Cancer, in press, 2006.
- Matsuzaki K, Deng G, Tanaka H, Kakar S, Miura S, Kim YS. The relationship between global methylation level, loss of heterozygosity and microsatellite instability in sporadic colorectal cancer. Clin. Cancer Res., 11:8564-8569, 2005.
- Hokari R, Lee H-Y, Crawley SC, Yang SC, GumJR, Erickson RH, Miura S, Kim YS. Vasoactive intestinal peptide up-regulates MUC2 intestinal mucin via CREB/ATF1. Am. J. Physiol., Gastrointestinal Liver Physiol., 289:G949-959, 2005.
- Truta B, Allen BA, Conrad PG, Weinberg V, Miller GA, Pomponio R, Lipton LR, Guerra G, Tomlinson IPM, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS, Terdiman JP. A comparison of clinical and genetic characteristics in familial adenomatous polyposis patients with and without a family history. Fam. Cancer, 4:127-133, 2005.
- Kim DH, Kim JW, Cho JH, Baek SH, Kakar S, Kim GE, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Expression of mucin core proteins trefoil factors, APC and p21 in subsets of colorectal polyps and cancers suggests a distinct pathway of pathogenesis of mucinous carcinoma of the colorectum. Int. J. Oncol., 27:957-964, 2005.
- Velayos FS, Allen BA, Conrad PG, Gum J, Kakar S, Chung DC, Truta B, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS, Terdiman JP. Low rate of microsatellite instability in young patients with adenomas: reassessing the Bethesda guidelines. Am. J. Gastroenterol., 100:1143-1149, 2005.
- Ahn D-H, Crawley S, Hokari R, Kato S, Li J-D, Kim YS. TNF_ activates MUC2 transcription via NF-_B but inhibits via JNK activation. Cell Physiol. Biochem., 15:29-40, 2005.
- Song GA, Deng G, Bell I, Kakar S, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Mucinous carcinomas of the colorectum have distinct molecular genetic characteristics. Int. J. Oncol., 26:745-750, 2005.
- Gum JR, Hicks JW, Crawley SC, Yang SC, Borowsky AD, Dahl CM, Kakar S, Kim DH, Cardiff RD, Kim YS. Mice expressing SV40 T antigen directed by the intestinal trefoil factor promoter develop tumors resembling human small cell carcinoma of the colon. Molec. Cancer Res., 9:504-513, 2004.
- Yoon W-H, Jung Y-J, Kim T-D, Li G, Lee Y-C, Kim J-M, Park J-I, Park H-D, No Z-S, Lim K, Hwang B-D, Kim YS. Gabexate mesilate inhibits colon cancer growth, invasion, and metastasis by reducing matrix metalloproteinases and angiogenesis. Clin. Cancer Res., 10:4517-4526, 2004.
- Deng G, Song G-A, Pong E, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Promoter methylation inhibits APC gene expression by interfering with the binding of transcription factor CBF and causing changes in chromatin conformation. Cancer Res., 64:2692-2698, 2004.
- Rousseau K, Byrne C, Kim YS, Gum JR, Swallow DM, Toribara NW. The complete genomic organisation of the human MUC6 and MUC2 mucin genes. Genomics, 83:936-939, 2004.
- Deng G, Bell I, Crawley S, Gum J, Terdiman JR, Allen B, Truta B, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. BRAF mutations is frequently present in sporadic colorectal cancer with methylated hMLH1, but not in hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer. Clinical Cancer Res., 10:191-195, 2004.
- Gum JR, Hicks JW, Crawley SC, Dahl CM, Yang SC, Roberton AM, Kim YS. Initiation of transcription of the MUC3A human intestinal mucin from a TATA-less promoter and comparison with the MUC3B amino terminus. J. Biol. Chem., 278:49600-49609, 2003.
- Park HU, Kim JW, Kim GE, Bae H-I, Crawley SC, Yang SC, Gum JR, Batra S, Roussean K, Swallow DM, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Aberrant expression of MUC3 and MUC4 membrane associated mucins and sialyl LeX antigen in pancreatic intraepithelial neoplasia. Pancreas, 26:e48-e54, 2003.
- Jono H, Xu H, Kai H, Lim DJ, Kim YS, Feng XH, Li JD. Transforming growth factor-beta-Smad signaling pathway negatively regulates nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae-induced MUC5AC mucin transcription via mitogen-activated protein kinase (MAPK) phosphatase-1 dependent inhibition of p38 MAPK. J. Biol. Chem., 278:27811-27819, 2003.
- Burdick MM, McCaffery JM, Kim YS, Bochner BS, Konstantopoulos K. Colon carcinoma cell glycolipids, integrins, and other glycoproteins mediate adhesion to HUVECs under flow. Amer. J. Cell Physiol., 284:C977-C987, 2003.
- Ho JJL, Han SW, Pan PL, Deng G, Kuan S, Kim YS. Methylation status of promoters and expression of MUC2 and MUC5AC mucins in pancreatic cancer cells. Int. J. Oncol., 22:273-279, 2003.
- Kim GE, Bae HI, Park HU, Kuan S-F, Crawley SC, Ho JJL, Kim YS. Aberrant expression of MUC5AC and MUC6 gastric mucins and sialyl-Tn antigen in intraepithelial neoplasms of the pancreas. Gastroenterology, 123:1052-1060, 2002.
- Lee H-W, Ahn D-H, Crawley SC, Li J-D, Gum JR, Basbaum CB, Fan NQ, Szymkowski DE, Han S-Y, Lee BH, Sleisenger, Kim YS. Phorbol 12-myristate 13-acetate up-regulates the transcription of MUC2 intestinal mucin via Ras, ERK, and NF-_B. J. Biol. Chem., 277:32624-32631, 2002.
- Terdiman JP, Levin TR, Allen B, Gum JR, Fisbach A, Conrad PG, Miller GA, Weinberg V, Bachman R, Bergoffen J, Stembridge A, Toribara N, Sleisenger MH, Kim YS. Hereditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer in young colorectal cancer patients: high-risk clinic versus population-based registry. Gastroenterology, 122:940-947, 2002.