Assistant Adjunct Professor, Departments of Psychiatry and Urology, UCSF
University of Maryland, College Park, MD, BA, 1974, Psychology
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, MA, 1978, Counseling Psychology
Rush Presbyterian St Luke's Med Center, Chicago, IL, 1981, Health Psychology
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, PhD, 1985, Clinical Psychology
Research Assistant, Rush-Presbyterian-St. Luke's Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Coordinator, Diagnostic and Research Services, Ingalls Memorial Hospital, Harvey, IL
Assistant Professor of Clinical Psychiatry, The University of Chicago, Chicago, IL
Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
Research Scientist, VA Chicago Health Care System, Chicago, IL
Assistant Adjunct Professor, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA
Research Health Science Specialist, SFVAMC, San Francisco, CA
Assoc Dir, HSR&D Research Enhancement Award Program, SFVAMC, San Francisco, CA
Honors & Awards
VA Health Services Research and Development Research Career Development Award
VA Health Services Research and Development Advanced Research Career Development Award
C. Tracy Orleans Distinguished Service Award, Society of Behavioral Medicine
- (Selected from 30)
- Bennett CL, Chapman G, Elstein AS, Knight SJ, Nadler RB, Sharifi R, Kuzel TA. Comparison of perspectives on prostate cancer: Analyses of utility assessments of patients and physicians. European Urology 1997, 32(suppl 3): 86-88.
- Crawford ED, Bennett CL, Stone NN, Knight SJ, DeAntoni E, Sharp L, Garnick MB, Porterfield HA. A Comparison of patient and physician perspectives on prostate cancer: analyses of survey data. Urology 1997, 50, 366-372.
- Knight S, Chmiel JS, Bennett CL, Sharp L, Albers M, Fine R, Moran E, Nadler R, Sharifi R, Kuzel T. Quality of Life in Metastatic Prostate Cancer. The Journal of Urology 1998, 160, 1765-1769.
- Sharp LK, Knight SJ, Fine R, Kuzel T, Moran E, Nadler R, Sharifi R, Bennett CL. A comparison of three quality of life instruments in low-income patients with metastatic prostate cancer. Quality of Life Research 1999, 8, 461-470.
- Mytko JJ, Knight SJ. Body, mind and spirit: Towards the integration of religiosity and spirituality in cancer quality of life research. Psycho-Oncology 1999, 8, 439-451.
- Knight SJ, Chmiel JS, Sharp LK, Kuzel T, Nadler RB, Fine R, Moran EM, Sharifi R, Bennett, CL. Spouse assessment of quality of life of metastatic prostate cancer patients of lower socioeconomic status: Feasibility, reliability, and validity of telephone interviews. Urology 2001, 57, 275-280.
- Kim SP, Knight SJ, Tomari C, Schoor RA, Colella KM, Tennant A, Shih L, Kuzel T, Bennett CL. Health literacy and treatment decision making in prostate cancer. Cancer Investigation 2001, 19, 684-691.
- Knight SJ, Nathan DP, Siston AK, Kattan MW, Elstein AS, Collela KM, Wolf MS, Slimack NS, Bennett CL, Golub RM. Pilot study of a utilities-based treatment decision intervention for prostate cancer patients. Clinical Prostate Cancer 2002 1, 105-114.
- Siston AL, Knight SJ, Chmiel JS, Slimack N, Nadler R, Bennett CL. Quality of life following a diagnosis of prostate cancer in men of lower socioeconomic status: Results from the VA cancer of the prostate study. Urology 2003, 61, 172-178.
- Fitzgibbon ML, Gapstur SM, Knight SJ. Mujeres Felices por ser Saludables: A breast cancer risk reduction program for Latino women. Design and baseline descriptions. Preventive Medicine 2003, 36, 536-546.
- Kane CJ, Lubeck DP, Knight SJ, Spitalny M, Downs TM, Grossfeld GD, Pasta DJ, Mehta SS, Carroll PR. Impact of patient education level on selection of treatment. Urology 2003, 62, 1035-1039.
- Elstein AS, Chapman GB, Chmiel J, Knight SJ, Chan C, Nadler RB, Kuzel TM, Siston AK, Bennett CL. Who is the judge? Agreement between prostate cancer patients and their clinicians about utilities and attribute importance. Health Expectations 2004, 7, 115-125.
- Knight SJ, Siston AK, Chmiel JS, Slimack N, Elstein A, Chapman G, Nadler R, Bennett CL. Ethnic variation in localized prostate cancer: Preferences, optimism, and quality of life among black and white Veterans. Clinical Prostate Cancer 2004, 3, 31-37.
- Fitzgibbon ML, Gapstur SM, Knight SJ. Results of Mujeres Felices por ser Saludables: A dietary/breast health intervention program for Latino Women. Annals of Behavioral Medicine 2004, 28, 95-104.
- Pickard AS, Knight SJ. Proxy evaluation of health-related quality of life: A Conceptual framework for understanding multiple proxy perspectives. Medical Care, in press.
- Elstein AE, Chapman G, Knight SJ. Patients' values and clinical substituted judgments: The case of localized prostate cancer. Health Psychology, in press.
- Kramer K, Bennett CL, Pickard, SA, Lyons EA, Golub RM, Wolf MS, Knight SJ. Health utilities in prostate cancer: A Practical user's guide to understanding patient preference elicitations. Clinical Prostate Cancer, in press.
- Pickard, A.S., Hung, S., McKoy, J.M., Witt, W.P., Arseven, A., Sharifi, R., Wu, Z., Knight, S.J., McWilliams, N., Utukari, S., Shumock, G.T., Bennett, C.L. (2005 in press). A Disease state management program framework for prostate cancer. Disease Management.
- Wolf, M.S., Knight, S.J., Bennett, C.L., Golub, R.M., Lyons, A.E., Arseven, A., Kramer, K., Durazo-Arvizu, R. Relation between literacy, race, and PSA level among low-income men with newly diagnosed prostate cancer. Urology., 2006, 68, 89-93.