Assistant Professor, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, UCSF
University of Science & Technology of China, Hefei, China, B.S., 1986, Biology
University of Missouri, Columbia, MO, Ph.D., 1995, Molecular Biology
Duke University Medical Center, Nitric oxide biology
Research Associate, Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia
Research Associate, Department of Medicine, Division of Pulmonary Medicine, Duke University Medical Center
Research Associate, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Duke University Medical Center
Honors & Awards
Scholarship, Division of Biological Sciences, University of Missouri
Predoctoral Fellowship, Molecular Biology Program, University of Missouri
New Investigator Award (First Place), Society for the Study of Reproduction (Biology of Reproduction, Vol. 52, pp. 261)
- Wu WY, Zhao YG and Liu L (1989). Trophic effect of slow nerve on minced fast muscle from newly hatched chicks transplanted into three-week chicks. Chin J Physiol Sci 5:95-97.
- Wu WY, Zhao YG, Liu L, Lu DX and Tian, WH (1990). The second stage commitment of chick muscle satellite cells and its relation to the state of innervation. Chin J Physiol Sci 6:19-29.
- Liu L, Leaman DW, Bixby JA and Roberts RM (1996). A type 1 ovine interferon with limited similarity to IFN-alpha, IFN-omega, and IFN-tau: gene structure, biological properties and unusual species specificity. Biochem Biophys Acta 1294:55-62.
- Liu L and Roberts RM (1996). Silencing of the gene for the beta-subunit of human chorionic gonadotropin by the embryonic transcription factor Oct-3/4. J Biol Chem 271:16683-16689.
- Liu L, Leaman DW and Roberts RM (1996). The interferon-tau genes of the giraffe, a nonbovid species. J Interferon Cytokine Res 16:949-951.
- Roberts RM, Liu L and Alexenko A (1997). New and atypical families of type I interferons in mammals: comparative functions, structures and evolutionary relationships. Prog Nucleic Acid Res Mol Biol 56:287-325.
- Liu L, Leaman DW, Villalta M and Roberts RM (1997). Silencing of the gene for the alpha-subunit of human chorionic gonadotropin by the embryonic transcription factor Oct-3/4. Mol Endocrinol 11:1651-1658.
- Roberts RM, Liu L, Guo Q, Leaman D and Bixby J (1998) The evolution of type I interferons. J Interferon Cytokine Res 18:805-816.
- Liu L, Leaman DW and Roberts RM (1998). Possible role of the transcription factor Oct-3/4 in control of human chorionic gonadotropin expression. In: D. Carson, ed., Embryo Implantation: Molecular, Cellular and Clinical Aspects (Serono Symposium), pp.261-270.
- Mannick JB, Hausladen A, Liu L, Hess DT, Zeng M, Miao QX, Kane LS, Gow AJ, Stamler JS (1999). Fas-induced caspase denitrosylation. Science 284:651-654.
- Liu L, Stamler JS. (1999) NO: an inhibitor of cell death. Cell Death Differ 6:937-942
- Liu L, Zeng M, Stamler JS. (1999) Hemoglobin induction in mouse macrophages. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 96:6643-6647.
- Eu JP, Liu L, Zeng M and Stamler JS (2000). An apoptotic model for nitrosative stress. Biochemistry 39:1040-1047.
- Liu L, Zeng M, Hausladen A, Heitman J, Stamler JS (2000). Protection from nitrosative stress by yeast flavohemoglobin. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 97:4672-4676.
- Ealy AD*, Larson SF*, Liu L*, Winkelman GL, Kubisch HM, Alexnko AP, Bixby JA, Roberts RM. (2001) Polymorphic forms of expressed bovine interferon-tau genes: relative transcript abundance during early placental development, promoter sequences of genes and biological activity of protein products. Endocrinology 142:2906-2915. *These authors contributed equally.
- Liu L, Hausladen A, Zeng M, Loretta Que, Heitman J, Stamler JS (2001). A metabolic enzyme for S-nitrosothiol conserved from bacteria to humans. Nature 410:490-494.
- Matsumoto A, Comatas KE, Liu L, Stamler JS (2003). Screening for nitric oxide-dependent protein-protein interactions. Science 301:657-661.
- Jesus-Berrios MD, Liu L, Nussbaum JC, Cox GM, Stamler JS, Heitman J (2003). Enzymes that counteract nitrosative stress promote fungal virulence. Current Biology 13:1963-1968.
- Liu L, Yan Y, Zeng M, Zhang J, Hanes MA, Ahearn G, McMahon TJ, Dickfeld T, Marshall HE, Que LG, Stamler JS (2004). Essential roles of S-nitrosothiols in vascular homeostasis and endotoxic shock. Cell 116:617-628.