Professor, Department of Medicine, UCSF
Duke University, BA, 1972-1976, Chemistry
Duke University Medical Center, MD, 1976-1979
Duke University Medical Center, 1/1980-6/1980, Research Fellowship, Hematology
Duke University Medical Center, 1980-1983, Internal Medicine Residency
University of California, San Francisco, 1983-1984, Clinical Fellowship, GI
University of California, San Francisco, 1984-1987, Research Fellowship, GI
Research Fellow in Hematology, Duke University Med. Ctr. (W. F. Rosse, preceptor)
Resident in Internal Medicine, Duke University Medical Center
Clinical Fellow in Gastroenterology, University of California, San Francisco
Research Fellow in Gastroenterology, University of California, San Francisco (D. Montgomery Bissell and F. Joseph Roll, preceptors)
Assistant Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
Associate Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
Professor of Medicine, University of California, San Francisco
Director, Rice Liver Center Laboratory, San Francisco General Hospital
Jun 1998-Jan 2001
Interim Chief of Gastroenterology, San Francisco General Hospital
Honors & Awards
Phi Beta Kappa, Duke University
Assistant Chief Resident in Medicine, Duke University Medical Center
American Liver Foundation Postdoctoral Research Fellowship
American Gastroenterological Association Research Fellowship
Faculty Development Award, UCSF
Alcoholic Beverage Medical Research Foundation Award
Member of NIAAA Research Delegation on Alcoholic Liver Disease, Mexico
Research Scientist Development Award, NIAAA
Associate Editor, Hepatology
Editorial Board, American Journal of Physiology
Editorial Board, Hepatology
- Bissell DM, Arenson DM, Maher JJ, Roll FJ. Support of cultured hepatocytes by a laminin rich gel: Evidence for a functionally significant subendothelial matrix in normal liver. J Clin Invest 1987; 79:801 812.
- Maher JJ, Friedman SL, Roll FJ, Bissell DM. Immunolocalization of laminin in normal rat liver and biosynthesis of laminin by hepatic lipocytes in primary culture. Gastroenterology 1988; 82:450-459.
- Maher JJ, Bissell DM, Friedman SL, Roll FJ. Collagen measured in primary cultures of normal rat hepatocytes derives from lipocytes within the monolayer. J Clin Invest 1988; 82:450-459
- Maher JJ, McGuire RF. Extracellular matrix gene expression increases preferentially in rat lipocytes and sinusoidal endothelial cells during hepatic fibrosis in vivo. J Clin Invest 1990; 86:1641-1648.
- Friedman SL, Rockey DC, McGuire RF, Maher JJ, Boyles JK, Yamasaki G. Isolated hepatic lipocytes and Kupffer cells from normal human liver: morphologic and functional characteristics in primary culture. Hepatology 1992; 15:234-243.
- Maher JJ. Cell-specific expression of hepatocyte growth factor in liver: upregulation in sinusoidal endothelial cells after carbon tetrachloride. J Clin Invest 1993;91:2244-2252.
- Maher JJ, Friedman SL. Parenchymal and nonparenchymal cell interactions in liver. Semin Liver Dis 1993; 13:13-20.
- Maher JJ, Bissell DM. Cell-matrix interactions in liver. Semin Cell Biol 1993; 4:189-201
- Maher JJ, Tzagarakis C. Partial cloning of the laminin M subunit from adult rat lipocytes: expression of the M subunit by cells isolated from normal and injured liver. Hepatology 1994;19:764-770.
- Maher JJ, Zia S, Tzagarakis C. Acetaldehyde-induced stimulation of collagen synthesis and gene expression is dependent on conditions of cell culture: studies with rat lipocytes and fibroblasts. Alcohol: Clin Exp Res 1994;18:403-409.
- Maher JJ, Tzagarakis C, Gimenez A. Malondialdehyde enhances collagen synthesis by lipocytes only upon activation in primary culture. Alcohol Alcohol 1994;29:605-610.
- Maher JJ. Rat hepatocytes and Kupffer cells interact to produce interleukin-8 (CINC) in the setting of ethanol. Am J Physiol 1995;269:G518-G523.
- Maher JJ, Scott MK, Saito JM, Burton MC. Adenovirus-mediated expression of cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant (CINC) in rat liver induces a neutrophilic hepatitis. Hepatology 1997;25:624-630.
- Maher JJ, Saito JM, Neuschwander-Tetri BA. Glutathione regulation in rat hepatic stellate cells: comparative studies in primary culture and in liver injury in vivo. Biochem Pharmacol 1997;53;637-641.
- Maher JJ, Neuschwander-Tetri, BA. Manipulation of glutathione stores in rat hepatic stellate cells does not alter collagen synthesis Hepatology 1997; 26:618-623.
- Maher JJ, Lozier JS, Scott MK. Rat hepatic stellate cells produce cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant in culture and in vivo. Am J Physiol 1998; 275:G847-G853.
- Maher JJ. Leukocytes as modulators of stellate cell activity. Alcohol: Clin Exp Res 1999;23:917-21.
- Maher JJ. Cytokines and the liver . Semin Liver Dis 1999;19:109-116.
- Friedman SL, Maher JJ, Bissell DM. Mechanisms and therapy of hepatic fibrosis; report of the AASLD Single Topic Basic Research Conference. Hepatology 2000;32:1403-1408.
- Saito JM, Maher JJ. Bile duct ligation in rats induces biliary expression of cytokine-induced neutrophil chemoattractant. Gastroenterology 2000;118:1157-1168.
- Wang R, Ferrell LD, Faouzi S, Maher JJ, Bishop JM. Activation of the met receptor by cell attachment induces and sustains hepatocellular carcinomas in transgenic mice. J Cell Biol 2001;153:1023-1034.
- Sonda S, Ting L-M, Novak S, Kim K, Maher JJ, Farese RV Jr, Ernst JD. Cholesterol esterification by host and parasite is essential for optimal proliferation of Toxoplasma gondii. J Biol Chem 2001;276:34434-40.
- Maher JJ. Interactions between hepatic stellate cells and the immune system. Semin Liver Dis 2001; 21:417-426.
- Faouzi S, Burckhardt B, Campe C, Schrum L, Rippe R, Maher JJ. Anti-Fas induces hepatic chemokines and promotes inflammation by an NF-B-independent, caspase-3-dependent pathway. J Biol Chem 2001;276:49077-49082.
- Björkegren J, Beigneux A, Bergö M, Maher JJ, Young SG. Blocking the secretion of hepatic very low density lipoproteins renders the liver more susceptible to toxin-induced injury. J Biol Chem 2002;277:5476-5483.
- Saito JM, Bostick MK, Campe CB, Xu J, Maher JJ. Infiltrating neutrophils in bile duct-ligated livers do not promote hepatic fibrosis. Hepatol Res 2003;25:180-191.
- Xu J, Lee G, Wang H, Vierling JM, Maher JJ. Limited role of CXC chemokines in the pathogenesis of alpha-naphthylisothiocyanate (ANIT)-induced liver injury. Am J Physiol 2004;287:G734-G741.