Adjunct Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF; Associate Professor of Medicine, Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford University
Duke University, Durham, NC, BA, 1992-1995, Psychology
San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, MS, 1996-1999, Clinical Psychology
San Diego State University, San Diego, CA, MPH, 1996-2001, Public Health
Joint Doctoral Program at San Diego State University & University of California, San Diego, PhD, 1996-2002 Clinical Psychology
University of California, San Francisco Fellowship, 2001-2004, Clinical Psychology
NIDA-Funded Postdoctoral Psychology Fellow, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
Program Member, Tobacco Control Program, UCSF Comprehensive Cancer Center
Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
Adjunct Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
Associate Professor of Medicine, Stanford Prevention Research Center, Stanford Univ
Honors & Awards
Human Development & Undergraduate Research Grants, Duke University
Graduated Summa Cum Laude, Duke University
Harry E. Hamber Academic Scholarship, SDSU
Student Oncology Grant, American Cancer Society, California Division
Statistical Methods in Psychology course rated #49 of 6,149 classes (<1st percentile) in a survey of the top classes at SDSU
Trowbridge Academic Scholarship, SDSU
Dissertation Research Grant, American College of Sports Medicine
Predoctoral Fellowship Awards, American Cancer Society, California Division
Health Promotion Student of the Year, Graduate School of Public Health, SDSU
Fellow Representative of the Clinical Psychology Training Program, UCSF
- 2002, 2003
San Francisco Treatment Research Center Pilot Study Grants
Postdoctoral Fellowship Award, Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program
- 2003, 2004
Paper Citation Awards, Society of Behavioral Medicine 24th and 25th Annual Meetings
Robert E. Harris Award, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
New Investigator Award, Tobacco-Related Disease Research Program
Patient-Centered (K23) Career Development Award, National Institute on Drug Abuse
Jarvik-Russell New Investigator Award, Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
UCSF Academy of Medical Educators Cooke Award, Scholarship of Teaching & Learning
NIDA's Division of Clinical Neuroscience & Behavioral Research Outstanding Early Career Investigator Award
- Sallis JF, Prochaska JJ, Taylor WC, Hill JO & Geraci HC (1999). Correlates of physical activity in a national sample of girls and boys in grades four through twelve. Health Psychology, 18, 410-415.
- Sallis JF, Prochaska JJ & Taylor WC (2000). A review of correlates of physical activity of children and adolescents. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 32, 963-975.
- Prochaska JJ, Zabinski MF, Calfas KJ, Sallis JF & Patrick K (2000). PACE+: Interactive communication technology for behavior change in clinical settings. American Journal Preventive Medicine, 19, 127-31.
- Prochaska JJ, Sallis JF, Sarkin JA & Calfas KJ (2000). Examination of the factor structure of physical activity behaviors. Journal of Clinical Epidemiology, 53, 866-874.
- Prochaska JJ, Sallis JF & Long B (2001). A physical activity screening measure for use with adolescents in primary care. Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, 155, 554-559.
- Acton GS, Prochaska JJ, Kaplan AS, Small T & Hall SM (2001). Depression and stages of change for smoking in psychiatric outpatients. Addictive Behaviors, 26, 621-631.
- Prochaska JJ, Sallis JF & Rupp J (2001). Screening measure for assessing dietary fat intake with adolescents. Preventive Medicine, 33, 699-706.
- Prochaska JJ, Watanabe M & Sallis JF (2002). Association of parent and peer support with adolescent physical activity. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport, 73, 206-210.
- Prochaska JJ, Sallis JF, Griffith B, & Douglas J (2002). Physical activity levels among Barbadian youth and comparison to a U.S. sample. International Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 9, 360-372.
- Prochaska JJ, Sallis JF, Slymen DJ & McKenzie TL (2003). A longitudinal study of children's enjoyment of physical education. Pediatric Exercise Science, 15, 170-178.
- Prochaska JJ & Sallis JF (2004). Reliability and validity of a fruit and vegetable screening measure for adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health, 34, 163-165.
- Prochaska JJ, & Sallis JF (2004). A randomized controlled trial of single versus multiple health behavior change: Promoting physical activity and nutrition among adolescents. Health Psychology, 23, 314-318.
- Prochaska JJ, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL, Eisendrath SJ, Meisner MR & Hall SM (2004). Depressed smokers and stage of change: Implications for treatment interventions. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 76, 143-151.
- Prochaska JJ, Gill P, & Hall SM (2004). Treatment of tobacco use in an inpatient psychiatric setting. Psychiatric Services, 55, 1265-1270.
- Prochaska JJ, Delucchi K & Hall SM (2004). A meta-analysis of smoking cessation interventions with individ-uals in substance abuse treatment or recovery. Journal of Consulting & Clinical Psychology, 72, 1144-56.
- Prochaska JJ, Gill P, & Hall SM (2005). Identification and treatment of substance misuse on an inpatient psychiatry unit. Psychiatric Services, 56, 347-349.
- Prochaska JJ, Sorensen JL, Hall SM, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Eisendrath SJ & Meisner MR (2005). Predictors of health functioning in two high-risk samples of smokers. Drug & Alcohol Dependence, 78, 169-175.
- Humfleet GL, Prochaska JJ, Mengis M, Cullen J, Munoz R, Reus V & Hall SM (2005). Preliminary evidence of the association between the history of childhood attention-deficit / hyperactivity disorder and smoking treatment failure. Nicotine & Tobacco Research, 7, 453-460.
- Prochaska JJ, & Sallis JF (2005). Channels for delivering behavioral programs. In L.A. Kaminsky (Ed.), ACSM Resource Manual for Exercise Testing and Prescription (5th edition). pp 558-564. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins: Philadelphia.
- Prochaska JJ, Fromont S & Hall SM (2005). How prepared are psychiatry residents for treating nicotine dependence? Academic Psychiatry, 29, 256-261.
- Prochaska JJ, Fletcher L, Hall SE & Hall SM (2006). Return to smoking following a smoke-free psychiatric hospitalization. American Journal on Addictions, 15(1), 15-22. PMID: 16449089
- Prochaska JJ, Velicer WF, Prochaska JO, Delucchi K & Hall SM (2006). Comparing intervention outcomes in smokers treated for single versus multiple behavioral risks. Health Psychology, 25(3), 380-8. PMID: 16719610
- Hall SM, Tsoh JY, Prochaska JJ, Eisendrath S, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Meisner M, Humfleet GL, Gorecki JA (2006). Treatment for cigarette smoking among depressed mental health outpatients: A randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Public Health. 96(10), 1808-14. PMCID: PMC1586139
- Prochaska JJ, Fromont SC, Louie AK, Jacobs MH & Hall SM (2006). Training in tobacco treatments in psychiatry: A national survey of psychiatry residency training directors. Acad Psychiatry, 30(5), 372-78. PMID: 17021144.
- Prochaska JJ, Leek DN, Hall SE & Hall SM (2007). Cognitive interviews for measurement evaluation of the Fagerstrom Test for Nicotine Dependence (FTND) in smokers with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. Addictive Behaviors, 32(4), 793-802. PMID: 16839695.
- Prochaska JJ, Fromont SC, Banys P, Eisendrath SJ, Horowitz MJ, Jacobs MH, Hall SM (2007). Addressing nicotine dependence in psychodynamic psychotherapy: Perspectives from residency training. Academic Psychiatry. 31(1), 8-14. PMID: 17242046.
- Prochaska JJ, Teherani A & Hauer KE (2007). Medical students' use of the stages of change model in tobacco cessation counseling. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 22(2), 223-7. PMC1824739.
- Prochaska JJ, Hall SM, Tsoh JY, Eisendrath S, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Meisner M, Humfleet GL, Gorecki JA (2008). Treating tobacco dependence in clinically depressed smokers: effect of smoking cessation on mental health functioning. Am J Public Health; 98(3), 446-8. PMC2253568
- Prochaska JJ, Spring B, Nigg CR (2008). Multiple health behavior change research: An introduction and overview. Preventive Medicine; 46(3), 181-8. PMCID: PMC2288583.
- Prochaska JJ, Velicer WF, Nigg CR & Prochaska JO (2008). Methods of quantifying change in multiple risk factor interventions. Preventive Medicine, 46(3), 260-5. PMCID: PMC2288581
- Hall SM, Humfleet GL, Gorecki JA, Munoz RF, Reus VI, Prochaska JJ (2008). Older versus younger treatment-seeking smokers: Differences in smoking behavior, drug and alcohol use, and psychosocial and physical functioning. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 10(3), 463-70. PMID: 18324565.
- Prochaska JJ, Schane R, Leek D, Hall SE, Hall SM (2008). Investigation into the cause of death of a 56-year-old man with serious mental illness. Am J Psychiatry, 165(4), 453-6. PMCID: PMC2728455
- Shmueli D, Fletcher L, Hall SE, Hall SM, Prochaska JJ (2008). Changes in psychiatric patients' thoughts about quitting smoking during a smoke free hospitalization. Nic&Tob Res, 10(5), 875-81 PMID: 18569762; NIHMS131450
- Hendricks PS, Prochaska JJ, Humfleet G & Hall SM (2008). Evaluating the validities of different DSM-IV-based conceptual constructs of tobacco dependence. Addiction, 103(7), 1215-23. PMC2744341
- Prochaska JJ, Hall SM, Humfleet G, Munoz R, Reus V, Gorecki J & Hu D (2008). Physical activity as a strategy for maintaining tobacco abstinence: a randomized trial. Pre Med, 47(2), 215-20. PMC2536696
- Prochaska JJ, Hall SM & Bero L (2008). Tobacco use among individuals with schizophrenia: what role has the tobacco industry played? Schizophrenia Bulletin, 34(3), 555-67 PMCID: PMC2632440.
- Myers MG & Prochaska JJ (2008). Does smoking intervention influence adolescent substance use disorder treatment outcomes? Substance Abuse, 29(2), 81-88. PMCID: PMC2721717
- Prochaska JJ, Fromont SC, Leek D, Hudmon K, Louie AK, Jacobs MH & Hall SM (2008). Evaluation of an evidence-based tobacco treatment curriculum for psychiatry residency training programs. Academic Psychiatry. 32(6): 484-492. PMCID: PMC2705754
- Prochaska JJ, Hall SE & Hall SM (2009). Stage-tailored tobacco cessation treatment in inpatient psychiatry. Psychiatric Services. 60(6): 848 PMCID: PMC2705755
- Hall SM & Prochaska JJ (2009). Treatment of smokers with co-occurring disorders: emphasis on integration in mental health and addiction treatment settings. Annual Review of Clinical Psychology 5: 490-31. PMCID: PMC2718730
- Hall SM, Humfleet GL, Munoz RF, Reus VI, Robbins JA & Prochaska JJ (2009). Extended treatment of older cigarette smokers. Addiction 104(6):1043-52. PMCID: PMC2718733
- Shmueli D & Prochaska JJ (2009). Resisting tempting foods and smoking behavior: implications from a self-control theory perspective. Health Psychology. 28(3):300-6 PMCID: PMC2736876
- Prochaska JJ, Fromont SC, Hudmon K & Cataldo JK (2009). Designing for dissemination: development of an evidence-based tobacco treatment curriculum for psychiatry training programs. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nurses Association. 15(1):24-31 PMCID: PMC2706546
- Ramo D, Myers MG, Prochaska JJ (2009). Intentions to quit smoking among youth in substance abuse treatment. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. 106(1):48-51 PMCID: PMC2815104
- Prochaska, J.J. (2009). Ten critical reasons for treating tobacco dependence in inpatient psychiatry. Journal of the American Psychiatric Nursing Association, 15, 404-409. NIHMS184264.
- Cataldo JK, Prochaska JJ & Glantz SA (2010). Cigarette smoking is a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease: an analysis controlling for tobacco industry affiliation. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease. 19(2):465-80 PMID: 20110594
- Prochaska JJ, Nigg CR, Spring B, Velicer WF & Prochaska JO (2010). The benefits and challenges of multiple health behavior change in research and in practice. Preventive Medicine. 50(1-2):26-9 PMCID: PMC2813890
- Ramo, D., Hall, S.M., & Prochaska, J.J. (2010). Reaching young adult smokers through the internet: comparison of three recruitment mechanisms. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 12, 768-775.
- Shmueli, D., Prochaska, J.J., & Glantz, S.A. (2010). The effect of exposure to smoking scenes in films on immediate smoking: a controlled laboratory study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 38(4):351-358. PMID: 20307802
- Prochaska, J.J. (2010). Failure to treat tobacco use in mental health and addiction treatment settings: A form of harm reduction? Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 110, 177-182.
- Catlado, J.K., Dubey, S., Prochaska, J.J. (2010). Smoking cessation: an integral part of lung cancer treatment. Oncology, 78, 289-301.
- Hickman, N.J., Delucchi, K, & Prochaska, J.J. (in press). A population-based examination of cigarette smoking and mental illness for African Americans. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.