Charles Ryan, MD
Professor of Clinical Medicine and Urology; Program Leader, Genitourinary Medical Oncology; Associate Director for Clinical Sciences, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
Thomas Perkins Distinguished Professor in Cancer Research, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsProstate Cancer
Research SummaryCharles J. Ryan, MD is Professor of Clinical Medicine and Urology and the Clinical Program Leader for Genitourinary Medical Oncology at the UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center. He received his MD from the University of Wisconsin in Madison and completed his residency in internal medicine at the University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, where he also served as Chief Resident. He completed a fellowship in medical oncology in the Department of Medicine at Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center and the Joan and Sanford I. Weill Medical College of Cornell University in New York.
His clinical practice focuses predominantly on advanced prostate cancer as well as germ cell (testicular) tumors and other malignancies of the genitourinary tract.
His clinical and research work centers on the design and conduct of clinical trials of novel therapies for advanced prostate cancer, specifically secondary hormonal therapies targeting adrenal androgen signaling, insulin growth factor inhibitors, androgen receptor targeted therapy and chemotherapy. In addition to clinical trials Dr Ryan collaborates with many laboratories researching the role of the androgen receptor and other signaling mechanisms in prostate cancer patients.
Dr Ryan is a member of several honor societies and is the recipient of a Leadership and Service Award and the John Kimberly Curtis Award from the University of Wisconsin Medical School. He received the American College of Physicians/ American Society of Internal Medicine Evergreen Award in 2000 and the American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award and Cancer And Leukemia Group B: Young Investigator Award, both in 2003. He was awarded the Donald Coffey Career Development Award from the Prostate Cancer Foundation in 2006, a California Coalition to Cure Prostate Cancer Award in 2007 and received the Mentor Award from the Division of Hematology/Oncology in 2011.
Marquette University, BA, 1991, Philosophy
University of Wisconsin - Madison, MD, 1996, Medicine
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1996-97, Intern, Medicine
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1997-99, Resident, Medicine
University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, 1999-00, Chief Resident, Medicine
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, 2000-03, Fellow, Medical Oncology
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, UC San Francisco
Associate Clinical Professor of Medicine, UC San Francisco
Professor of Clinical Medicine and Urology, UC San Francisco
Honors & Awards
Alpha Sigma Nu, National Jesuit University Academic Honor Society
Phi Beta Kappa, Marquette University
Leadership and Service Award, University of Wisconsin Medical School
John Kimberly Curtis Award, University of Wisconsin Medical School
Evergreen Award, American College of Physicians-American Society of Internal Medicine
ASCO Merit Award
Cancer And Leukemia Group B Young Investigator Award
Prostate Cancer Foundation: Donald Coffey Career Development Award
California Coalition to Cure Prostate Cancer Award
- Ryan CJ, Madalon M, Wortham D, Graziano FM. Sulfa hypersensitivity in patients with HIV infection: Onset, treatment and critical review of the literature. Wisconsin Medical Journal May 1998.
- Ryan CJ, Wilding G. Angiogenesis inhibitors: New agents in solid tumor chemotherapy. Drugs & Aging 4: 249-55, 2000.
- Ryan CJ and Small EJ. Role of secondary hormonal therapy in the management of recurrent prostate cancer. Urology. 62: 87-94, 2003.
- Holzbeierlein J, Lal P, LaTulippe E, Smith A, Satagopan J, Zhang L, Ryan C, Smith S, Scher H, Scardino P, Reuter P, Gerald WL. Gene expression analysis of human prostate carcinoma during hormonal therapy identifies androgen-responsive genes and mechanisms of therapy resistance. Am J Pathol 164:217, 2004.
- Ryan CJ, Zelefsky MJ, Heller G, Regan K, Leibel SA, Scher HI, Kelly WK. Five-year outcomes after neoadjuvant chemotherapy and conformal radiotherapy in patients with high-risk localized prostate cancer. Urology 64:90-4, 2004.
- Ryan CJ, Small EJ. Advances in prostate cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 16:242-246, 2004.
- Ryan CJ, Small EJ. The selection of hormonal therapy in prostate cancer: Who, when and for how Long? Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network 2:3, May 2004.
- Ryan CJ, Small EJ. Long-term response to ketoconazole as secondary hormonal therapy in prostate cancer. Amer. J. Oncol Rev 3: 471-474, 2004.
- Ryan CJ, Small EJ. Progress in detection and treatment of prostate cancer. Curr Opin Oncol 17:257-60, 2005
- Ryan, CJ, Eisenberger, M. Chemotherapy for hormone-refractory prostate cancer: Now it's a question of "when?" J Clin Oncol, 23: 8242, 2005.
- Ryan, CJ, Small, EJ. Early versus delayed androgen deprivation for prostate cancer: New fuel for an old debate. J Clin Oncol 23: 8225, 2005.
- Beekman KW, Colevas, AD, Cooney K, DiPaola,R Dunn RL, Gross M. Keller ET Pienta K Ryan CJ Smith, DM Hussain M. Phase II evaluation of EMD121974 (NSC 707544, Cilengitide) in asymptomatic patients with androgen independent prostate cancer: Scientific rationale and study design. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2006 Mar;4(4):299-302.
- Ryan CJ and Small EJ Prostate cancer update: 2005. Curr Opin Oncol 18:284-88, 2006.
- Ryan, CJ. Secondary hormonal manipulations in prostate cancer, Hematol Oncol Clin North Am. 2006 Aug;20(4):925-34.
- Ryan CJ, Lin AM, Small EJ. Angiogenesis inhibition plus chemotherapy for metastatic hormone refractory prostate cancer: History and rationale. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations. 2006 May-Jun; 24 (3):250-3
- Lin AM, Rini BI, Weinberg V, Fong K, Ryan CJ, Rosenberg JE, Fong L, Small EJ. A phase II trial of imatinib mesylate in prostate cancer patients with biochemical relapse following definitive local therapy. Cancer. BJU Int. 2006 Jun 26.
- Ryan CJ, In reply. J Clin Oncol 2006 24: 2965-2965.
- Ryan CJ, Elkin EP, Small EJ, DuChane J, Carroll P Reduced Incidence of Bony Metastasis at the time of Initial Prostate Cancer Diagnosis: Data from CaPSURE Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations 24: 5 pp. 396-402, 2006.
- Ryan CJ. and Small, E. J. Androgen deprivation therapy in locally advanced and metastatic prostate cancer. Minerva Urol Nefrol, 58: 119-126, 2006.
- Ryan CJ Comments on EORTC 30891 : Early versus Deferred Androgen Deprivation in Patients with Localized Prostate Cancer not Suitable for Definitive Local Therapy. The American Journal of Hematology/Oncology Vol 5, No 10 pp.2-4, 2006.
- Ryan CJ, Smith A, Lal P, Satagopan J, Reuter V, Scardino P, Gerald W, Scher HI. Persistent prostate-specific antigen expression after neoadjuvant androgen depletion: An early predictor of relapse or incomplete androgen suppression Urology 68, (4) Pages 834-839, 2006
- Small, EJ, Ryan, CJ. The case for secondary hormonal therapies in the chemotherapy age. J Urol. 2006 Dec;176(6 Suppl):S66-71.
- Ryan, CJ, Small, EJ. High-risk biochemical relapse and the timing of androgen deprivation therapy. High risk biochemical relapse and the timing of androgen deprivation therapy. J Urol. 2006 Dec;176(6 Suppl):S61-5.
- Lin AM, Ryan CJ, Small EJ: Intermittent chemotherapy for metastatic hormone refractory prostate cancer. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2007 Mar;61(3):243-54. Epub 2006 Dec 11
- Ryan CJ, Haqq CM, Simko J, Chan JM, Small EJ Goldfine ID. Expression of insulin-like growth factor 1 receptor in local and metastatic prostate cancer. Urologic Oncology: Seminars and Original Investigations. 2007 Mar-Apr;25(2):134-40.
- Ryan CJ, Halabi S, Kaplan E, Vogelzang NJ, Kantoff P, Small EJ. Adrenal androgen levels as predictors of outcome in prostate cancer patients treated with ketoconazole plus antiandrogen withdrawal: Results from a Cancer and Leukemia B study. Clin Cancer Res 2007;13 (7) April 1, 2007
- Ryan CJ, Stadler W, Roth B, Hutcheon D, Conry S, Puchalski M, Small E. Phase I Dose Escalation and Pharmacokinetic Study of AZD2171, a highly potent VEGFR tyrosine kinase inhibitor, in patients with Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer (HRPC). Investigational New Drugs 2007 Apr 26
- Lin, AM, Rini BI, Kakefuda M, Weinberg V, Randall M, Ryan CJ, Rosenberg JE, Bubley G, Small EJ. A phase I trial of estramustine, docetaxel, and imatinib mesylate in hormone refractory prostate cancer patients. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2007 Jun;5(5):323-8.
- Ryan, CJ, Elkin E, Carroll P Initial Treatment Patterns and Outcome of Contemporary Patients with Metastatic Prostate Cancer at Diagnosis: Data from CaPSURE. Cancer. 2007 Jul 1;110(1):81-6
- Ryan CJ, Beer TM. Prostate Specific Antigen Only Androgen Independent Prostate Cancer: Natural History, Challenges in Management and Clinical Trial Design. J Urol. 2007 Jul 16.
- Kantoff PW, Beer TM, D'Amico AV, Dipaola RS, Eisenberger MA, Hussain MH, Kelly WK, Mathew P, Morris MJ, Ryan CJ, Sandler HM, Thompson IM, Carroll PR. Innovations and Challenges in Prostate Cancer: Summary Statement for the 6th Cambridge Conference. J Urol. 2007 Jul 16.
- Ryan CJ, Weinberg V, Rosenberg JE, Lin AM, Fong L, Kim J, Small EJ. Phase II Study of Ketoconazole Plus Granulocyte Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor in Prostate Cancer: Effect of Extent of Disease on Outcome. J Urol. 2007 Dec;178(6):2372-6
- Hsieh A, Small E, Ryan CJ. Functional Significance of Androgen Response Elements in Prostate Cancer: Implications for Therapy Development. Lancet Oncol 2007 Oct;8(10):933-9
- Morris MJ, Kelly WK, Slovin S, Ryan C, Eicher C, Heller G, Scher HI. A Phase II trial of Bortezomib and prednisone for Castration Resistant Metastatic Prostate Cancer. J Urol. 2007 Dec;178(6):2378-83
- Ryan CJ, Harzstark AH, Rosenberg JE, Lin AM, Claros C, Goldfine ID, Kerner J,, Small EJ. A Pilot Dose Escalation Study of the Effects of Nordihydroguareacetic acid (NDGA) on Hormone Levels and Prostate Specific Antigen in Patients with Relapsed Prostate Cancer. BJU Int. 2008 Feb;101(4):436-9.
- Lin AM, Rini BI, Derynck MK, Weinberg V, Park M, Ryan CJ, Rosenberg JE, Bubley G,Small EJ. A phase I trial of docetaxel/estramustine/imatinib in patients with hormone-refractory prostate cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2007 Jun;5(5):323-8.