Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Medicine (Diabetes Center), UCSF
University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada, B.Sc. Honours, 1978-1992, Zoology
University of Zurich, Zurich, Switzerland, Ph.D., 1982-1987, Molecular Biology
University of California, San Francisco, Post-Doc, 1987-1990, Molecular Endocrinology
Post-graduate Researcher, University of California, San Francisco
Assistant Adjunct Professor, University of California, San Francisco
Associate Adjunct Professor, University of California, San Francisco
- Schaufele F, Gilmartin GM, Bannwarth W, Birnstiel ML 1986 Compensatory mutations suggest that base-pairing with a small nuclear RNA is required to form the 3' end of H3 messenger RNA. Nature 323: 777-781.
- Schaufele F, Birnstiel ML 1987 The inability of the Psammechinus miliaris H3 RNA to be processed in the Xenopus oocyte is associated with sequences distinct from those highly conserved amongst sea urchin histone RNAs. Nucl Acids Res 15: 8305-8317.
- Gilmartin GM, Schaufele F, Schaffner G, Birnstiel ML 1988 Functional analysis of the sea urchin U7 small nuclear RNA. Mol Cell Biol 8: 1076-84.
- Vasserot AP, Schaufele F, Birnstiel ML 1989 Conserved terminal hairpin sequences of histone mRNA precursors are not involved in duplex formation with the U7 RNA but act as a target site for a distinct processing factor. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 86: 4345-4349.
- Schaufele F, Cassill JA, West BL, Reudelhuber TL 1990 Resolution by diagonal gel mobility shift assays of multisubunit complexes binding to a functionally important element of the rat growth hormone gene promoter. J Biol Chem 265: 14592-14598.
- Schaufele F, West BL, Reudelhuber TL 1990 Overlapping Pit-1 and Sp1 binding sites are both essential to full rat growth hormone gene promoter activity despite mutually exclusive Pit-1 and Sp1 binding. J Biol Chem 265: 17189-17196.
- Schaufele F, West BL, Reudelhuber TL 1990 Somatotroph- and lactotroph-specific interactions with the homeobox protein binding sites in the rat growth hormone gene promoter. Nucl Acids Res 18: 5235-5243.
- Schaufele F, West BL, Baxter JD 1992 Synergistic activation of the rat growth hormone promoter by Pit-1 and the thyroid hormone receptor. Mol Endo 6: 656-665.
- Chang W, Zhou W, Baxter JD, Theill L, Schaufele F 1996 An activation function in Pit-1 required selectively for synergistic transcription. J Biol Chem 271: 17733-17738.
- Schaufele F 1996 C/EBPalpha activation of the rat growth hormone promoter in pituitary progenitor GHFT1-cells. J Biol Chem 271: 21484-21489.
- Chuang FM, West BL, Baxter JD, Schaufele F 1997 Activities in Pit-1 determine whether Receptor Interacting Protein 140 activates or inhibits Pit-1/nuclear receptor transcriptional synergy. Mol Endocrinol 11: 1332-1341.
- Schaufele F 1999 Regulation of estrogen receptor activation of the prolactin enhancer/promoter by antagonistic AF-2-interacting proteins. Mol Endocrinol 13: 935-945.
- Schaufele F, Chang CY, Liu W, Baxter JD, Wan Y, Nordeen S, Day RN, McDonnell DP 2000 Temporally distinct and ligand-specific recruitment of nuclear receptor interacting peptides and co-factors to subnuclear domains containing the estrogen receptor. Mol Endocrinol 14: 2024-2039.
- Schaufele F, Enwright JF, Wang X, Teoh C, Srihari R, Erickson R, MacDougald OA, Day RN 2001 CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha assembles essential cooperating factors in common subnuclear domains. Mol Endocrinol 15: 1665-1676.
- Zhang W-H, Srihari R, Day RN, Schaufele F 2001 CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha alters histone acetylation ar large subnuclear domains. J Biol Chem 276: 40373-40376.
- Liang F, Schaufele F, Gardner, DG. 2001 Functional interaction of NF-Y and Sp1 is required for type a natriuretic peptide receptor gene transcription. J Biol Chem 276: 1516-1522.
- Lopez GN, Turck CW, Schaufele F, Stallcup MR, Kushner PJ 2001 Growth factors signal to steroid receptors through MAP kinase regulation of p160 coactivator activity. J Biol Chem 276: 22177-22182.
- Liu W, Enwright JF, Hyun W, Day RN, Schaufele F 2002 CCAAT/Enhancer Binding Protein alpha uses distinct domains to prolong pituitary cells in the Growth 1 and DNA Synthesis phases of the cell cycle. BMC Cell Biology 3: 6, pp. 1-11. online journal, http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2121/3/6
- Weatherman RV, Chang C-Y, Clegg NC, Carroll DC, Day RN, Baxter JD, McDonnell DP, Scanlan T, Schaufele F 2002 Ligand-dependent interactions of estrogen receptor detected in vivo by Fluorescence Resonance Energy Transfer. Mol Endocrinol 16: 487-496.
- Peer-reviewed manuscripts published the previous three years (since 2003):
- Enwright III JF, Kawecki-Crook MA, Voss TC, Schaufele F, Day RN 2003 A Pit-1 homeodomain mutant blocks the intranuclear recruitment of the CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha required for prolactin gene transcription. Mol Endocrinol 17: 209-222.
- Day RN, Voss TC, Enwright III JF, Booker CF, Periasamy A, Schaufele F 2003 Imaging the localized protein interactions between Pit-1 and the CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha in the living pituitary cell nucleus. Mol Endocrinol 17: 333-345.
- Schaufele F, Wang X, Liu X, Day RN 2003 Conformation of CCAAT/enhancer binding protein alpha dimers varies with intranuclear location in living cells. J Biol Chem: 278: 10578-10587.
- Ross SE, Radomska HS, Wu B, Zhang P, Winnay N, Bajnok L, Wright WS, Schaufele F, Tenen DG, MacDougald OA 2004 Phosphorylation of C/EBPalpha inhibits granulopoiesis. Mol Cell Biol 24: 675-686
- Schaufele F, Day RN 2005 Imaging molecular interactions in living cells. Mol Endocrinol 19: 1675-1686
- Schaufele F, Carbonell X, Guerbadot M, Borngraeber S, Chapman M, Ma AAK, Miner JN, Diamond MI 2005 The structural basis of AR activation: intra and intermolecular amino-carboxy interactions. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA USA 102: 9802-9807