Associate Professor, Departments of Medicine and Epidemiology/Biostatistics, UCSF
University of California, San Diego, B.A., 1983, Biology and Psychology
University of California, Los Angeles, M.D., 1987, Medicine
University of California, Los Angeles, M.P.H., 1987, Public Health
University of California San Francisco, 1987-1990, Residency, Internal Medicine
Veterans Affairs Medical Center, San Francisco, 1991-1993, Fellowship, General Internal Medicine and Clinical Epidemiology
Director, Ambulatory Education, UCSF Mount Zion Outpatient Department
Assistant Clinical Professor of Medicine, Department of Medicine, University of California San Francisco
Assistant Clinical Professor Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California San Francisco
Associate Professor of Clinical Medicine and Epidemiology and Biostatistics, University of California, San Francisco
Honors & Awards
Provost's Honor List, Revelle College
Phi Beta Kappa
Magna Cum Laude
Lange Medical Publishers Book Award
Lewis Eldridge Memorial Scholarship
Hortense Fishbaugh Memorial Scholarship
Honors in the Department of Medicine
Hewlett-Packard Award (highest academic ranking)
William N. Valentine Award in Medicine (highest distinction as a scholar in internal medicine)
Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Award (woman who graduates number one in her class)
Stafford L. Warren Medal (outstanding academic achievement during four years)
Alpha Omega Alpha
UCSF/Mount Zion Department of Medicine Housestaff Teaching Award
- Hulley SB, Walsh JME, Newman TB. Health policy on blood cholesterol: time to change directions. Circulation 1992; 86: 1026-1029.
- Walsh JME. Cancer screening in older adults. West J Med 1992; 156: 495-500.
- Walsh JME, McPhee SJ, A systems model of clinical preventive care: an analysis of factors influencing patient and physician. Health Educ Quart 1992; 19: 157-175.
- Walsh JME, Baron RB, Browner WS. Screening for hypercholesterolemia in a general internal medicine practice.West J Med, 1993; 158: 359-363.
- Walsh JME, Newman TS. Cholesterol screening in young adults (letter). JAMA 1993;270:1546.
- Walsh JME, Papadakis MA. Prevention training and medical residency. Am J Prev Med 1994; 10:168-171.
- Walsh JME, Grady D. Treatment of hyperlipidemia in women. JAMA 1995:274:1152-1158.
- Walsh, JME, Brown J et al. Hormone replacement therapy: factors influencing women's decision-making. Menopause 1997:4: 1-6.
- Walsh JME. Lipids: Natural History and Pharmacologic Management. In Women and Heart Disease. P Charney editor. American College of Physicians 1998; Philadelphia.
- Walsh, JME. Cervical Cancer. New developments in screening and evaluation of the abnormal Pap smear. Western Journal of Medicine 1998; 169: 304-310.
- Charney P, Walsh, JME, Nattinger A. Update in women's health. Ann Intern Med 1998;129:551-8.
- Walsh, JME. Cholesterol lowering for primary prevention (letter) JAMA 1999;281: 416-7.
- Walsh, JME. Swangard, D, Davis T, McPhee S. Exercise counseling by primary care physicians in the era of managed care. Amer J Prev Med 1999; 16:307-313.
- Charney P, Walsh JME, Nattinger AB. Update in women's health. Ann Intern Med 1999;131:952-8.
- Walsh JME, Wheat M, Freund K. Detection and evaluation of eating Disorders: the role of the primary care physician. J Gen Int Med 2000:15: 577-590.
- Atkins D, Walsh JME, Pignone M. Lipid screening in women. Journal of the Women's Medical Association, 2000.
- Walsh JME, Dolan N, Charney C. Update in women's health. Ann Intern Med 2000;133: 808-814.
- Walsh JME, Pressman A, Cauley J, Browner WS. Predictors of physical activity in community dwelling elderly white women Journal of General Internal Medicine 2001: 16: 721-7.
- Dolan N, Freund K. Walsh JME, Update in women's health. Ann Intern Med., 2002: 136: 453-462.
- Walsh, JME, Posner SF, Perez-Stable EJ. Colon Cancer Screening in the Ambulatory Setting. Preventive Medicine 2002: 35: 209-218.
- Walsh JME, McPhee S. Prevention in the Year 2002. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice 2002: 29: 727-749.
- Walsh JME, Terdiman J. Colorectal cancer screening: clinical applications. JAMA 2003: 289: 1297-1302.
- Walsh JME, Terdiman J. Colorectal cancer screening: scientific review. JAMA 2003: 289: 1288-1296.
- Grady D, Chaput L, Kristof M, Walsh JME et al. Diagnosis and Treatment of Coronary Heart Disease in Women. Systematic Reviews of Evidence on Selected Topics. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 81 (Prepared by the University of California, San Francisco-Stanford Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No 290-97-0013.) AHRQ Publication No. 03-0036. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. May 2003
- Grady D, Chaput L, Kristof M, Walsh JME et al.. Results of Systematic Review of Research on Diagnosis and Treatment of Coronary Heart Disease in Women. Evidence Report/Technology Assessment No. 80. (Prepared by the University of California, San Francisco-Stanford Evidence-based Practice Center under Contract No 290-97-0013.) AHRQ Publication No. 03-0035. Rockville, MD: Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. May 2003
- Walsh JME. Controversies in cancer prevention and screening Johns Hopkins Univ School of Medicine Advanced Studies in Medicine. June 2003 Vol.3, (6):316-325.
- Mitchell J, Walsh JME, Wang-Cheng R. Management of Perimenopausal hormone replacement therapy- a rapidly shifting story. Primary Care: Clinics in Office Practice, in press.
- Walsh, JME. Lipids in women: screening and treatment. JAMWA, 2003: 58:240-7.
- Walsh JME, McDonald KM, Shojaria KG et al. Quality improvement strategies for hypertention. In technical report No. (prepared by UCSF-Stanford Evidence Board Practice center under contract number 290-02-0017). AHRG Publication No. Rockville, MD. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. December, 2003.
- Walsh JME, Kaplan CP, Nguyen B, Gildengorin G, McPhee SJ, Perez Stable EJ. Barriers to colorectal cancer screening in Latino and Vietnamese Americans compared with non-Latino white Americans. JGIM. 2004 Feb;19(2):156-66
- Walsh JME, Pignone M. Drug Therapy of hyperlipidemia in women:scientific. JAMA. 2004 May12;291(18):2243-52. Review.
- Salpeter SR, Walsh JME, Greyber E, Ormiston TM, Salpeter EE. Mortality associated with hormone replacement therapy in younger and older women: a meta-analysis. JGIM. 2004 Jul;19(7):791-804.
- Walsh JME, McDonald KM, Shojaria KG et al. Quality improvement strategies for hypertention. In technical report No. 9 (prepared by UCSF-Stanford Evidence Board Practice center under contract number 290-02-0017). AHRQ Publication No. 04-0051-03. Rockville, MD. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. January, 2005.
- Walsh JME, Cheung AM, Yang D, Litwack S, Grady D. Raloxifene and colorectal cancer. Journal of Women's Health 2005 May;14 (4) 299-305.
- Velayos F, Terdiman J, Walsh JME. Use of aminosalicylates for the prevention of colorectal cancer in ulcerative colitis: meta-analysis and systematic review. American Journal of Gastroenterology. 2005: 100: 1345-53.
- Walsh JME. Colorectal cancer screening. The time is now! JGIM. 2005 Nov;20(11):1068-70.
- Walsh JME, Salazar R, Terdiman JP, Gildengorin G, Perez-Stable EJ. Promoting use of colorectal screening tests: can we change physician behavior? JGIM. 2005: 20: 1097-101.