Duke University, Durham, NC, B.S., 1988, Chemistry
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, M.D., 1993
University of California, Davis, Internship, 1994, Internal Medicine
University of California, Davis, Residency, 1994, Internal Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Clinical Research Fellowship, 1996, Clinical Epidemiology
University of California, San Francisco, MAS (Masters in Clinical Research), 2004, Clinical Research
Honors & Awards
Phi Eta Sigma (Freshman Honor Society), Duke University
Honors, Senior Research Thesis, Duke University
Third Place Poster, Landacre Research Day, Ohio State University
Elected to Landacre Research Society, Ohio State University
Sarnoff Research Scholarship (National award to ten medical students annually)
Nominated, Crede Award for Excellence in Teaching, DGIM, UCSF
STAR award (x2) for clinical excellence, UCSF Women's Health
- Stanley ML, Wells RL, Purdy AP, Holley WK, Pitt CG. Kinetic Study of the Reaction of (Me3SiCH)2AsH with Ph3Ga via 1H NMR Spectroscopy. Duke University Archives, Senior Research Thesis.
- Nelson SD, Stanley ML, Love CJ, Coyne KS, Schaal SF. The Autonomic and Hemodynamic Effects of Oral Theophylline in Patients with Vasodepressor Syncope. Arch Intern Med 1991; 151: 2425-2429.
- Grogin HR, Stanley ML, Eisenberg SJ, Horacek BM, Lesh MD. Improved Body Surface Mapping Criteria for Localization of Accessory Pathways in WPW Syndrome. Computers in Cardiology 1992, 255-258.
- Beattie MS, Redberg R. Coronary Heart Disease in Women: Hormone Replacement Therapy. Current Treatment Options in Cardiovascular Medicine 2002:129-136.
- Beattie MS, Shlipak MG, Liu H, Browner WB, Schiller NB, Whooley MA. CRP and Ischemia in Users and Nonusers of Beta Blockers and Statins: Data from The Heart and Soul Study. Circulation 2003; 107:245-250.
- Beattie MS. Current Status of Postmenopausal Hormone Replacement, Advanced Studies in Medicine 2003; 3: 205-213.
- Beattie MS, Costantino JP, Wickerhan DL, Wolmark N, Dowsett M, Folkerd EJ, Willett W, Vogel V, Cummings SR, Hankinson SE. Endogenous Sex Hormones, Risk of Breast Cancer, and Response to Tamoxifen: An Ancillary Study in the Breast Cancer Prevention Trial (P-1), Breast Cancer Research and Treatment 2004; 88 (1): S14.
- Beattie MS, Lane NE, Nevitt M, Jung YY. The Association of Statin Use with the Development and Progression of Radiographic Hip Osteoarthritis, Journal of Rheumatology 2005; 32:106-110.
- Powell BA, Kenley E, Chen LM, Crawford B, McLennan J, Zaloudek C, Komoromy M, Beattie MS, Ziegler J. Risk Reducing Salpingo Oophrectomy in BRCA Mutation Carriers: Role of Serial Sectioning in the Detection of Occult Malignancy, Journal of Clinical Oncology 2005; 23:127-132..
- Beattie MS. Breast Cancer Risk Reduction: Which Strategies are Effective? The Female Patient 2005; 30 (10): 16-20.
- Beattie MS, Kerlikowske K. Commentary on "The addition of MRI greatly improved the sensitivity of screening for early breast cancer in mutation carriers" and "MRI was more sensitive than mammography for detection of early breast cancer in women at high risk". Evidence-based Obstetrics and Gynecology 2005; 7(2):100-102.
- Lee RF, Beattie MS, Crawford B, Mak J, Stewart N, Komaromy M, Esserman L, Shaw L, McLennan J, Strachowski L, Luce J, Ziegler J. Recruitment, Genetic Counseling, and BRCA Testing for Underserved Women at a Public Hospital. Genetic Testing 2005; 9 (4): 306-311.
- Beattie MS, Costantino JP, Cummings SR, Wickerham DL, Wolmark N, Dowsett M, Folkerd EJ, Willett W, Vogel V, Hankinson SE. Endogenous Sex Hormones, Risk of Breast Cancer, and Response to Tamoxifen: An Ancillary Study in the Breast Cancer Prevention Trial (P-1), Journal of the National Cancer Institute. 2006; 98: 110-115.
- Varma MG, Brown JS, Creasman J, Thom DH, Van Den Eeden SK, Beattie MS, Subak LL. Fecal Incontinence in Women over 40: Who is at Risk? Diseases of the Colon and Rectum 2006; 49: 1-11.
- Lee JS, Ettinger B, Stanczyk FZ, Vittinghoff E, Hanes V, Cauley JA, Chandler W, Settlage J, Beattie MS, Folkerd E, Dowsett M, Grady D, Cummings SR. Comparison of Methods to Measure Low Serum Estradiol Levels in Postmenopausal Women. J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 10:3791-3797.
- Metz LD, Beattie MS, Hom R, Grady DG, Redberg RF, Fleischmann KE. The Prognostic Utility of Exercise Myocardial Perfusion Imaging and Exercise Echocardiography: A Meta-analysis. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. 2007; 49: 222
- Lubitz RJ, Komaromy M, Crawford B, Beattie MS, Lee R, Luce J, Ziegler J. Development and Pilot Evaluation of Novel Genetic Educational Materials Designated for an Underserved Patient Population. Genetic Testing. 2007: 11: 276-290.
- Karchin R, Agarwal M, Sali A, Couch F, Beattie MS. Classifying Variants of Undetermined Significance in BRCA2 with Protein Likelihood Ratios. Cancer Informatics. 2008; 4: 203-216.
- Beattie, MS. Commentary on "Effect of Raloxifene on the Incidence of Invasive Breast Cancer in Postmenopausal Women with Osteoporosis Categorized by Breast Cancer Risk". Breast Disease Quarterly. In Press.