The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center benefits from the expertise of external advisors who are leaders in the scientific, business, government and lay communities. Together, these teams are charged with advising the Cancer Center on matters of research, patient care, outreach and advocacy, and fundraising.
The External Advisory Board (EAB) serves a key role in the Cancer Center’s planning and evaluation of its research programs and supporting research infrastructure. The EAB includes national leaders in laboratory, population, and clinical sciences in areas of cancer research that match the Cancer Center’s research programs. The board reviews the overall strategy and progress and makes specific recommendations to the President relating to recruitment, programmatic structure, shared resources, institutional commitment, and other relevant issues.
- Chi Dang, MD, PhD Scientific Director, Ludwig Cancer Research; and EAB Chair
- Michael Berens, PhD Deputy Director, Research Resources, Translational Genomics Research Institute
- James R. Downing, MD President and Chief Executive Officer, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital
- Stephen M. Hahn, MD, FASTRO, Deputy President and Chief Operating Officer Division Head, Radiation Oncology, The University of Texas, MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Anita Harrison Higher Ed Consulting Director, Huron
- Terry Hyslop, PhD Director, Biostatistics, Duke Cancer Institute
- William “Bill” Nelson, MD, PhD Director, Sydney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
- Electra D. Paskett, PhD, Director, Division of Cancer Prevention and Control, College of Medicine, The Ohio State University Cancer Center
- Elizabeth A. Platz, ScD Deputy Chair, Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins, Bloomberg School of Public Health
- Patrick Y. Wen, MD Director, Center for Neuro-Oncology, Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Eric P. Winer, MD, Chief, Division of Women’s Cancers; Director, Breast Oncology Center, Dana Farber Cancer Institute
- Jedd D. Wolchok, MD, PhD, Chief, Melanoma & Immunotherapeutics Service; Associate Director, Ludwig Center for Cancer Immunotherapy, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Patient and Family Advisory Council
The Patient and Family Advisory Council is comprised of UCSF patients and their caregivers who advise and engage UCSF staff and leadership.
The Cancer Center Patient and Family Advisory Council’s mission is to infuse the patient and family voice into the delivery of care, to bring about change that improves the patient and family experience, facilitates ease of navigation, and fosters healing and wellness throughout all stages of disease and recovery. The Council's goals and objectives can be viewed here.
The UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center Community Advisory Board (CAB), established in 2005, comprises representatives from the diverse geographic areas, ethnicities, and lifestyles of Northern California. Members include representatives of community-based organizations, state and local health departments, community hospitals and medical practices, clergy, and cancer survivors and advocates.
- Arnold Perkins, CAB Chair
- Angela Sun, PhD, MPH, CAB Co-Chair; Executive Director of the Chinese Community Health Resource Center (CCHRC)
- Wilma R. Batiste, CRC, NCPT, Faith Communities Committee Chair; Board Member, San Francisco Interfaith Council
- Roxanna Bautista, Founder and lead, Rise Up Solutions
- Jim Bouquin, CEO, Cancer Support Community San Francisco Bay Area (CSC)
- Gloria Brown, MPA, Founding Chair, Faith Communities Committee; Co-founder, African American Community Health Advisory of San Mateo
- Barbara Cicerelli, MPA, Director, Cancer Navigation Program, Zuckerberg San Francisco General
- Laura Coronado, MPH, Regional Language, Health Disparities and Olmstead Coordinator, US Dept of Health & Human Services, Office for Civil Rights, San Francisco
- Ysabel Duron, Founder, Latino Cancer Institute
- Olivia Fé, Chair, SF Women’s Cancer Network; Founder and Executive Director,of Latina Breast Cancer Agency
- Paula M. (Penni) Hudis, PhD, Board Treasurer, Women’s Cancer Resource Center
- Carol McGruder, Co-Chair, African American Tobacco Control Leadership Council (AATCLC)
- Christina Rios, MPH, MSW, Senior Hospital Systems Manager, American Cancer Society
- Michael Shaw, Men’s Health Committee Chair; Director, Urban Male Health Initiative (UMHI) of the Alameda County Department of Public Health
The Cancer Leadership Council (CLC) advises and assists Alan Ashworth, PhD, FRS, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center (HDFCCC) president, in enhancing program quality and strategically expanding the scope of UCSF’s cancer research, clinical, and community outreach initiatives.
- Dana Dornsife, CLC Chair
- Nancy Hellman Bechtle
- Brian Cayne
- Helmy Eltoukhy
- Dale Fishman
- Mark Garrett
- Sujay Jaswa (chair, Innovation Committee)
- Devyani "Devi" Kamdar (chair, Communications Committee)
- Arthur H. "Art" Kern
- Joe Lonsdale (chair, Data Committee)
- Joanne Stockman
- W.G. "Van" Van Auken
The council meets regularly, and members actively participate on HDFCCC projects through the CLC committees and ad hoc project teams.