Recent Awards and Accomplishments
Hani Goodarzi, PhD received the 2017 AAAS Martin and Rose Wachtel Cancer Research Award.
Amit Sabnis, MD received the 2017 AACR-Aflac, Inc. Career Development Award for Pediatric Cancer Research.
- Laura van 't Veer, PhD received the 2017 European Cancer Organization (ECCO) Clinical Research Award
- Michael Rabow, MD received the 2017 AAHPM Project on Death in America (PDIA) Palliative Medicine National Leadership Award
- Rushika Perera, PhD was awarded the Damon Runyon-Rachleff Innovation Award.
- Zev Gartner, PhD, Hiten Madhani, MD, PhD, James Wells, PhD, Martin Kampmann, PhD, Alex Marson, MD, PhD, and Kole Roybal, PhD were among the researchers selected as Chan Zuckerberg Biohub Investigators.
- The American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) named Eric J. Small, MD, to its Board of Directors
- Lawrence Green, MPH, DrPH received the Sedgwick Memorial Medal for Distinguished Service in Public Health, the oldest and most prestigious award bestowed by the American Public Health Association (APHA).
- Markus Muschen, MD, PhD was named a 2016 Faculty Scholar by the Howard Hughes Medical Institute (HHMI), the Simons Foundation, and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Alan Ashworth, PhD, FRS received the 2016 Drexel Prize in Cancer Biology and gave a corresponding lecture at the 4th International Symposium on Molecular Medicine & Infectious Disease.
- Dean Schillinger, MD was awarded a 2016 Harold S. Luft Award for Mentoring in Health Services and Health Policy Research.
- Rahul Aggarwal, MD was a recipient of the 2016 NCI Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award, which supports clinical investigators with an outstanding record of developing and promoting a culture of successful clinical research
- Alexander Marson, MD, PhD and Bruce Wang, MD received the Career Award for Medical Scientists from Burroughs Wellcome.
- Dan Bikle, MD, PhD received the American Society for Bone and Mineral Research's 2016 Louis V. Avioli Founders Award
- Laura Esserman MD, MBA was included in the 2016 TIME 100, the magazine's annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world.
- Alan Ashworth, PhD, FRS was elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association for Cancer Research Board of Directors.
- Jennifer Grandis, MD was elected to the Nominating Committee for the American Association of Cancer Research (AACR).
- Gabriele Bergers, PhD received the 2016 Judah Folkman Award in Vascular Biology.
- Lydia Zablotska, MD, MPA, PhD received the 2016 Stephen B. Hulley Award for Excellence In Teaching, UCSF.
- Alan P. Venook, MD was named a 2016 Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (FASCO).
- Mitchel Berger, MD, and Jeff Bluestone, PhD, werenamed to a Blue Ribbon Panel that will help to guide the National Cancer Moonshot Initiative.
- Anna M. Nápoles, MPH, PhD became a member of the Komen Scholars international advisory group.
- Thea D. Tlsty, PhD, Markus Muschen, MD, PhD, and Frank McCormick, PhD, FRS, DSc (Hon) each received a 2015 NCI Outstanding Investigator Award.
- Trever Bivona, MD, PhD and Pamela M. Ling, MD, MPH as well as UCSF faculty members Kamran Atabai, MD, Margaret Feeney, MD, MMSc, Rebecca L. Sudore, MD were elected into the American Society for Clinical Investigation.
- Eleni Linos, MD, MPH, DrPH and Stephen Francis, MS, PhD received the first UCSF Cancer Center Impact Grants
- Alan P. Venook, MD received the 2016 Blue Faery Award for Excellence in Liver Cancer.
- Mike McCune, MD, PhD received the 2016 Holly Smith Award for Exceptional Service to the School of Medicine.
- Thea D. Tlsty, PhD, Frank McCormick, PhD, FRS, DSc (Hon), and Markus Müschen, MD, PhD received the NCI Outstanding Investigator Award in 2015.
- Alan Ashworth, PhD, FRS received the 2015 Genetics Society Medal, an award given annually for outstanding research contributions to genetics.
- Eric J. Small, MD – and a team of collaborators which includes Jack Youngren, Rahul Aggarwal, and Li Zhang, as well as investigators at UCLA and UCSC – received a 2015 Impact Award from the Department of Defense Prostate Cancer Research Program.
- Atul Butte, MD, PhD was elected to the National Academy of Medicine.
- Alan Venook, MD was named HDFCCC's Shorenstein Associate Director for Program Development.
- Rebecca Smith-Bindman, MD, and Benjamin Yeh, MD, were named Distinguished Investigators of the Academy of Radiology Research.
- Seventy-four UCSF faculty members received the Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators 2015 Excellence in Teaching Award, including: Emily Finlayson, MD, MS; Hobart Harris, MD, MPH; Leah Karliner, MD; Kenneth McQuaid, MD; Mary C. Nakamura, MD; Joanna Phillips, MD, PhD; Elizabeth Robbins, MD; Peter Sayre, MD, PhD; Kevan Shokat, PhD.
- Dr. Margaret Tempero, Director of the UCSF Pancreas Center, and Dr. Stephen K. Van Den Eeden at the Kaiser Foundation Research Institute -- in collaboration with investigators in the Diabetes Center, Dr. Mark Anderson, Dr. Michael German and Dr. Scott A. Oakes -- were awarded an NIH U01 grant.
- David Solomon, MD, PhD received the NIH Early Independence Award.
- Eric Small, MD was recognized as Fellow of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (FASCO)
- Andrew Leavitt, MD received the Essential Core Teaching Award for Commitment to Teaching, selected by UCSF medical students.
- Sophie Dumont received the 2015-2020 NIH New Innovator Award as well as the 2016 Margaret Oakley Dayhoff Award of the Biophysical Society.
- Kevin M. Shannon, MD and colleagues received a $10 million DHART (Developmental and HyperActive Ras Tumor) SPORE Award.
- Daniel Bikle, MD, PhD, received the HDFCCC T3 Award for his project, "Vitamin D Signaling Protects the Skin from Cancer Development" (Co-Investigators Sarah Arron, Dennis Oh, Alma Burlingame).
- Michael Korn, MD, received the HDFCCC T3 Award for his project, "Targeting BRCAness in Gastroesophageal Cancers" (Co-Investigators Eric Collisson, Lawrence Fong).
- Eliseo Perez-Stable and Zena Werb were honored with UCSF Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Awards.
- Elizabeth Blackburn awarded 2015 Royal Medal from The Royal Society for her work on the prediction and discovery of telomerase and the role of telomeres in protecting and maintaining the genome.
- Charalambos (Babis) Andreadis announced by The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society (LLS) as their 2015 Bay Area Man of the Year.
- Matthew Cooperberg was honored with AUA Gold Cystoscope Award.
- Laura van 't Veer, PhD received the European Inventor Award 2015 in SMEs category.
- Alan Ashworth: FORCE: Spirit of Empowerment Award.
- Trever Bivona: selected by The Pew Charitable Trusts and the Stewart Trusts as a 2015 Pew-Stewart Scholar for Cancer Research.
- Sabine Mueller: received HDFCCC-Kure It Cancer Research Grant for Underfunded Cancer Research.
- Allan Balmain: Elected as a Fellow of the Royal Society.
- Eric Collisson, Top 10 Clinical Research Achievement Awards for 2015 for contribution to Multiplatform analysis of 12 cancer types reveals molecular classification within and across tissues of origin..
- Christine Miaskowski Inducted into International Nurse Researcher Hall of Fame.
- Frank McCormick, named to Stand Up To Cancer (SU2C) Lung Cancer Dream Team.
- Frank McCormick, Robert Nussbaum and James Wells elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Arun Wiite, Damon Runyon-Dale F. Frey Award for Breakthrough Scientists.
- Peter Walter, Vilcek Prize in Biomedical Sciences.
Rena Pasick,UCSF Chancellor's Martin Luther King Faculty Award for Diversity.
Rena Pasick,Women Health Care Executives Woman of the Year.
Rena Pasick, Susan G. Komen 2014 Joanne Horning You Can Make a Difference Award.
- Katie Kelley, NCI 2014 Cancer Clinical Investigator Team Leadership Award.
- Sabine Mueller, 2014 V Foundation Designated Grant.
- Steven DuBois, 2014 V Foundation Designated Grant.
- Trever Bivona, 2014 Young Innovators Team Award for Lung Cancer Research (Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation and Van Auken Private Foundation).
- Dan Vigneron, John Kurhanewicz, Sarah Nelson received the World Molecular Imaging Society Gold Medal 2014.
- Peter Carroll, MD, PhD awarded Jim Lafferty Memorial Research Grant.
- Peter Walter, MD received the Lasker Award for Basic Research.
- Jessica Erickson received The Isadora Rosenbaum Champion of Service Award.
- Hope Rugo, MD, and Chloe Atreya, MD received the Ernest H. Rosenbaum, MD, Commitment to Patient Care Award.
- Peter Carroll, MD, PhD received the Barringer Medal.
- Frank McCormick, PhD, FRS and Jason G. Cyster, PhD were elected into the National Academy of Sciences.
- Laura van 't Veer, PhD received the 2014 European Union Prize for Women Innovators in March 2014.The honor celebrates women who have combined their scientific excellence with a head for business to set up innovative enterprises.
- Elizabeth Blackburn, PhD, Yuet Wai Kan, MD, and Frank McCormick, PhD, FRS were inducted as inaugural Fellows of the American Association of Cancer Research Academy.
- Margaret Tempero, MD was named Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network.
- Jeffrey Bluestone, PhD was elected to the Institute of Medicine.
- Steven Schroeder, MD received the prestigious Institute of Medicine Gustav O. Lienhard award, which recognizes individuals for outstanding achievement in improving health care services in the United States in October 2013.
- Arturo Alvarez-Buylla, PhD was elected to the American Academy of Arts and Sciences.
- Nancy Adler, PhD was appointed co-chair of the Institute of Medicine¹s Committee on Recommended Social and Behavioral Domains and Measures for Electronic Health Records.
- Jayanta Debnath, MD one of 3 award recipients of the 2013-2014 Samuel Waxman Cancer Research Foundation (SWCRF).
- Peter Carroll, MD, PhD, June Chan, ScD, Matthew Cooperberg, MD, PhD: DOD Prostate Cancer Research Program Impact Award.
- Ari Firestone, PhD with his sponsor Kevin Shannon, MD: Damon Runyon Cancer Research Foundation Award.
- Lawrence Fong, MD: National Cancer Institute R01 Award.
- Jay Levy, MD: NIH National Institute Allergy & Infectious Disease R56 Award.
- Mark Moasser, MD: American Association for Cancer Research Award.
- Michael Rabow, MD: 2012 Hastings Center Cunniff-Dixon Physician Award.
- Hope Rugo, MD: Breast Cancer Research Foundation Award.
- Markus Müschen, MD, PhD: National Cancer Institute R01 Award.
- Eric Collisson, MD: Pancreatic Cancer Action Network-AACR Career Development Award.
- John Greenspan, BDS, PhD: ADA Gold Medal Award for Excellence in Dental Research.
- Neil Shah, MD, PhD, Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Translational Research Program Award.
- Eric Small, MD and Phil Febbo, MD, AACR/SU2C Dream Team Award.
- Anthony Wynshaw-Boris, MD, PhD, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Diane L. Barber, PhD, Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS).
- Matthew Cooperberg, MD, MPH, initiated into the Fellowship of the American College of Surgeons.
- Pamela M. Ling, MD, Robert H. Crede Award for Excellence in Clinical Research, UCSF.
- Jennifer Puck, MD, elected to Institute of Medicine (IOM).
Jeffrey Venstrom, MD:
- one of 17 national scholars to receive a 2012 V Foundation for Cancer Research Award
- American Cancer Society Research Scholar Award
- Laura Dunn, MD in collaboration with Psycho Oncology, Symptom Management Services and Spiritual Care: grant recipient of John Templeton Foundation HealthCare Chaplaincy project grant.
- Jiali Li, MD, PhD: Conquer Cancer Foundation of the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) 2012 Breast Cancer Symposium Merit Awards.
- A. James Barkovich, MD: 2012 ASNR Gold Medal Award.
- Arthur Weiss, MD, PhD: 2012 Lifetime Achievement in Mentoring Award (UCSF Faculty Mentoring Program).
Trever Bivona, MD:
- 2012 Young Investigator Research Grant from the National Lung Cancer Partnership
- American Lung Association Cancer Discovery Award
- Doris Duke Foundation Clinical Scientist Development Award
- Kimmel Foundation Scholar Award
- Howard Hughes Collaborative Innovation Award
- NIH Director’s New Innovator Award
- Ruth E. Malone: Harold S. Luft Award for Mentoring in Health Services and Health Policy Research, April 5 2012
- Dr. Nancy Burke, PhD: 2012 Community Breast Cancer Research honoree
- Dr. Frank McCormick: president, American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Dr. Dejana Braithwaite: 2012 American Cancer Society, Mentored Research Scholar Award
- Dr. Elizabeth Blackburn: California Hall of Fame; elected to Board of Directors, American Association of Cancer Research (AACR)
- Dr. Andrei Goga: American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
- Dr. Allan Balmain: 2011 American Skin Association Achievement Award
- Dr. Tung T. Nguyen: appointed, 2011 Presidential’s Advisory Commission on Asian American Pacific Islanders
- Dr. Rena Pasick: 2011 Susan G. Komen for the Cure Scholar - renewed for a 3rd year ($250,000)
- Dr. Zena Werb: Zero Breast Cancer 2011 Community Breast Cancer Research Award
- Dr. Yuet Wai Kan, MD: Institute Of Medicine (IOM); received 2011 Karl Landsteiner Memorial Award and Lectureship
- Dr. Paul Blanc, MD, MSPH: Fellow, Collegium Ramazzini, Nov 2011
- Dr. Art Weiss: 2012 AAI Lifetime Achievement Award for outstanding research and career achievements.
- Debby Hamolsky, RN, MS, AOCMS: Breast Care Center, 2012 Milton and Helen Pearl Award for Outstanding Service (Mount Zion)
- Dr. John Witte: 2011 Stephen B. Hulley Award for Excellence In Teaching, UCSF
- Dr. Susan Fisher: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Dr. Jayanta Debnath: DOD Breast Cancer Era of Hope Scholar Award, 2011-2016
- Dr. Adil Daud: Best Doctors in America Award, Castle Connolly
- Dr. Jason Cyster: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Dr. Charles Craik: Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS)
- Karen Butter, AB, ML: Fellow, Medical Library Association
- Dr. Dejana Braithwaite: Career Catalyst Award, Susan G. Komen for the Cure; 2012 American Cancer Society, Mentored Research Scholar Award
- Dr. Mitchel Berger: President Elect, American Association of Neurological Surgeons
- Dr. Boris Bastian: German National Academy of Science (Leopoldina)
- Dr. Jody Lynn Baron: UCSF Program in Breakthrough Biomedical Research Award, 2011-2013