UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
of interest to the UCSF cancer community
view online | corrections | unsubscribe | follow us on Twitter
Save the Date: 2016 UCSF Cancer Center Symposium
Welcome to New Faculty
- The annual UCSF Cancer Center Symposium will take place on November 16-17, 2016, at UCSF Mission Bay. This year's topic is Therapeutic Resistance, and the program will feature keynote speaker Charles Sawyers, MD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center.
- Please welcome Mi-Ok Kim, PhD, the new Director of the Biostatistics Core for the UCSF Cancer Center.
Awards & Distinctions
- Once again, the UCSF Medical Center ranked among the nation's best hospitals in the U.S. News and World Report's 2016-2017 survey. UCSF received elite Honor Roll status for exceptional performance in 15 medical specialties, and it was the top-ranked cancer hospital in Northern California.
- Allison Drain, a PhD student in Bioengineering, has been selected to receive the first Predoctoral Fellowship in Cancer Research.
- Lydia B. Zablotska, MD, MPA, PhD received the 2016 Stephen B. Hulley Award for Excellence In Teaching, UCSF.
- Congratulations to the recent recipients of the HDFCCC Above and Beyond Awards: Ilaria Mastroserio, Kamran Abri-Lavasani, Greg Nalbandian, Danielle Rodriguez-Jaquez, Ovidio Velasquez, Christopher Wong, Erin Hayes, and Cecilia Enad. This award recognizes non-faculty staff who display excellence in their dedication and commitment level in their work at the Cancer Center.
HDFCCC In the MEDIA
- The NCI has launched Clinical Trials Ideas, a platform to gather ideas from patients, caregivers, advocates, health professionals, and technical partners on how to make cancer clinical trials information more accessible. Submit ideas by August 30.
- The Precision Cancer Medicine Building (PCMB), a state-of-the-art facility that will integrate research and world-class patient care on the UCSF Mission Bay campus, will be designed by international architecture firm Stantec Inc.
- Catalyst Awards cycle opens on August 22nd! This intramural funding mechanism is focused on development of therapeutics, diagnostics, devices, and digital health products. Applications due Sept 19.
- Many new health warning labels (238) have been added to the Truth Tobacco Industry Documents.
- Call for artists: The United States Mint has launched a public design competition (Aug 1 - Oct 17), for a limited edition, pink-gold Breast Cancer Commemorative Coin that will support breast cancer research. Submit your portfolio to enter the competition.
- Sept 2: Friday Cancer Center Seminar - Bakar Auditorium, HD-160, UCSF Mission Bay
The weekly seminar series kicks off with Mario Luca Suva, MD, PhD, Assistant Professor of Pathology, Massachusetts General Hospital, Associate Member, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard.
- Nov 16-17: 2016 UCSF Cancer Center Symposium - Genentech Hall Auditorium, UCSF Mission Bay
SAVE THE DATE! This year's symposium will be on Therapeutic Resistance and will feature keynote speaker Charles Sawyers, MD, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. More details TBA soon.
Conferences, Symposia, Retreats
- Aug 24: Prostate Cancer Program RIP Seminar
- Aug 26: 5th Annual Asian Health Symposium
- Sep 7: UCSC Genome Browser Workshop
- Sep 7: Breast Oncology Program Seminar
- Sep 12-14: Conference on Geospatial Approaches to Cancer Control and Population Sciences (Bethesda, MD)
- Sep 16: UCSF Pancreas Center Retreat
- Sep 17: 4th UCSF Gynecologic Cancer Symposium
- Sep 17: UCSF AYA Cancer Day
- Sep 20-23: 2016 Cancer Stem Cell Conference (Cleveland, OH)
- Sep 22-23: UC Davis Cancer Center 22nd Annual Cancer Research Symposium
- Oct 1: Taste for the Cure 2016
- Oct 6-8: Joining FORCEs Against Hereditary Cancer
- Oct 18: Prostate Cancer Program Annual Research Retreat
- Oct 21: 10th Annual Health Disparities Research Symposium
- Oct 29-Nov 2: APHA 2016 Annual Meeting & Expo (Denver, CO)
- Nov 4-5: 2016 Mayo Clinic Humanities in Medicine Symposium (Phoenix, AZ)
- Nov 18: UC Davis 3rd Annual Human Genomics Symposium (Sacramento, CA)
- Feb 2-3, 2017: Breast Oncology Program Retreat
- Mar 22-24, 2017: 2017 National Conference on Tobacco or Health (Austin, TX) - now accepting abstracts!
- Apr 20-22, 2017: Cancer Metastasis through the Lymphovascular System International Symposium
- May 13, 2017: Bras for the Cause Fundraiser
- View current funding opportunities. AACR NextGen Grants for Transformative Cancer Research, CIRM Clinical Trial grant program, Early Phase Clinical Research Support, and more!
Have news to share with HDFCCC Members or the larger cancer community at UCSF? Send us the details.
Erin Hayes, Communications
415.476.5445 (voice) | email@example.com