UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
of interest to the UCSF cancer community
view online | corrections | unsubscribe | follow us on Twitter
Welcome to new HDFCCC Members
- Aditi Bhargava, PhD - Associate Member, Cancer, Immunity, and Microenvironment
- Steven Hetts, MD - Member, Neurologic Oncology, Pediatric Malignancies
- Lily Jan, PhD - Member, Non-programmatically aligned
- Mark Looney, MD - Associate Member, Cancer, Immunity, and Microenvironment
- Dieter Gruenert, PhD, long-time UCSF Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery faculty member, and associate member of the HDFCCC Breast Oncology Program, passed away on April 9, 2016.
Awards & Distinctions
- Anna Napoles, MPH, PhD became a member of the Komen Scholars, an international advisory group which helps to guide Susan G. Komen's research and scientific programs, education and advocacy work, and public health efforts in the U.S. and abroad. Learn more.
- Martin Kampmann, PhD received a $750,000 Innovative Research Grant from Stand Up To Cancer for his project, "'Weak links' in cancer proteostasis networks as new therapeutic targets." Learn more.
- Laura Esserman MD, MBA was included in the 2016 TIME 100, the magazine's annual list of the 100 most influential people in the world. Learn more.
- Mitch Berger, MD and Jeff Bluestone, PhD were named to a Blue Ribbon Panel of scientific experts, cancer leaders, and patient advocates that will help to guide the National Cancer Moonshot Initiative. Learn more.
- Trever Bivona, MD, PhD and Pamela Ling, MD, PhD were elected to the American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI). Learn more.
- Alan Ashworth, PhD, FRS was elected to the Board of Directors for the American Association of Cancer Research (AACR). Learn more.
- Jennifer Grandis, MD was elected to the Nominating Committee for the American Association of Cancer Research (AACR). Learn more.
- Gabriele Bergers, PhD received the 2016 Judah Folkman Award in Vascular Biology. Learn more.
- Zena Werb, PhD received a Cancer League award for her project, "Triple Negative Metastatic Breast Cancer."
- Dejana Braithwaite, PhD received a Cancer League award for her project, "Blueprint for Evaluating Lung Cancer Screening."
- Congratulations and thank you to HDFCCC staff who have served 10+ years at the University of California! View full list of Service Awards for 2016.
HDFCCC In the MEDIA
Price of Cancer Drugs Has Skyrocketed Since 2000 [Venook]
April 28, 2016, source: Healthline
The 100 Most Influential People: Breast-Cancer Doctors Who Dare to Do Less [Esserman]
April 21, 2016, source: Time
Many Breast Cancer Patients May Not Need Chemo: Study [van 't Veer]
April 18, 2016, source: US News & World Report
Sean Parker, a Facebook and Napster Pioneer, to Start Cancer Immunotherapy Effort [Bluestone, Lanier]
April 13, 2016: New York Times
Chemo May Prolong Lives of Some Brain Cancer Patients: Study [Chang]
April 6, 2016, source: US News & World Report
Blue-ribbon panel named to advise administration on cancer 'moonshot' [Bluestone, Berger]
April 4, 2016, source: Washington Post
- May 13: Friday Cancer Center Seminar Series
Aaron Diaz, PhD, Brain Tumor Research Center, UCSF
- May 15: Intersections First Annual Gala and Silent Auction
Intersections is a UCSF Adolescent and Young Adult (AYA) Oncology Community that began as a way to fill an unmet need for social support and community building within the AYA oncology patient population.
- May 16: Cancer Genetics Program Lunch Talk Series
Trever Bivona, MD, PhD, Eric Collisson, MD, UCSF
- May 20-21: Cancer Center Conference 2016
This internal event aims to bring the entire HDFCCC community together, involving substantial participation and input across three areas of research: Basic Science, Clinical Science, and Population Science.
- May 24: Precision Imaging of Cancer and Therapy (PICT) Inaugural Symposium - [REGISTER]
Integrating cutting edge discovery with translational and
clinical research for improved patient care.
- May 24: Tobacco Control Program Seminar
Justin White, PhD, UCSF
- May 25: Prostate Cancer Program Research-in-Progress Seminar
Won Kim, MD, UCSF
- May 25: Breast Oncology Program Seminar
W Fraser Symmans, MD, The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center
Conferences, Symposia, Retreats
Have news to share with HDFCCC Members or the larger cancer community at UCSF? Send us the details.
Erin Hayes, Communications
415.476.5445 (voice) | email@example.com