Professor Emeritus, Departments of Dermatology and Pharmaceutical Chemistry, UCSF
St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, England, BA (part I), 1960, Natural Sciences
St. Catharine's College, Cambridge, England, BA (part II), 1961, Natural Sciences
Dept. of Radiotherapeutics, Cambridge, England, PhD, 1964, Medicine
Research Fellow in Neurosurgery, Massachusetts General Hospital, Research Fellow in Surgery at Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA,.
Assistant Research Biophysicist (Radiobiology), Laboratory of Radiobiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA,.
Assistant Professor of Radiology (Radiobiology) In Residence, Laboratory of Radiobiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA.
Associate Professor of Radiology, Laboratory of Radiobiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA,.
Associate Professor of Radiology, Imperial Cancer Research Fund, Lincoln's Inn Field, London, England (sabbatical leave from Laboratory of Radiobiology).
Professor of Radiology, Lab. of Radiobiology, University of California, San Francisco, CA.
1995 - present
Professor of Dermatology, University of California, San Francisco, CA.
Honors & Awards
Gold Merit Award, Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Dermatology, December
Annual Award for Outstanding Research from the Radiation Research Society
Lila Gruber Cancer Award from American Academy of Dermatology
Citation Classic Status of Paper "Defective repair replication of DNA in xeroderma pigmentosum." Cleaver J.E. Nature, 218:652-656, 1968. Curr. Cont., Vol. 24, p. 22
Citation Classic Status of Paper: "Repair replication of mammalian DNA: Effects of compounds that inhibit DNA synthesis or dark repair." Cleaver J.E. Radiat. Res. 37:334-348, 1969. Listed in Current Contents, Vol. 24, p. 22
Alexander Hollaender Distinguished Postdoctoral Fellowship for D.L. Mitchell
Luigi Provasoli Award from American Society of Phycology
Research award for poster on "Trichothiodystrophy: Biochemical and molecular characterization and central nervous system imaging of two siblings." Society for Pediatric Dermatology, Snowmass, Colorado
Senior Investigator award, American Society for Photobiology
Roll of Honor, International Union for Research on Cancer, Geneva, Switzerland
Elected, National Academy of Sciences USA
John B. Little Award for Radiation Sciences, Harvard School of Medicine
47th Faculty Lecturer at the University of California, San Francisco
American Skin Association, New York, lifetime achievement award
- (selected from 2001-present, from a career total of over 370)
- Thakur M, Wernick M, Collins C, Limoli CL, Crowley E, Cleaver JE. DNA olymerase eta undergoes alternative splicing, protects against UV sensitivity and apoptosis, and suppresses Mre11-dependent recombination. Genes Chromosomes Cancer.32:222-35, 2001. PMID: 11579462.
- Limoli CL, Giedzinski E, Bonner WM, Cleaver JE. UV-induced replication arrest in the xeroderma pigmentosum variant leads to DNA double-strand breaks, gamma -H2AX formation, and Mre11 relocalization. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 99:233-238, 2002. Epub 2001. PMID: 11756691.
- Emmert S, Slor H, Busch DB, Batko S, Albert RB, Coleman D, Khan SG, Abu-Libdeh B, DiGiovanna JJ, Cunningham BB, Lee MM, Crollick J, Inui H, Ueda T, Hedayati M, Grossman L, Shahlavi T, Cleaver JE, Kraemer KH. Relationship of neurologic degeneration to genotype in three xeroderma pigmentosum group G patients. J Invest Dermatol.118:972-82, 2002. Erratum in: J Invest Dermatol;120:173, 2003. PMID: 12060391.
- Limoli CL, Laposa R, Cleaver JE. DNA replication arrest in XP variant cells after UV exposure is diverted into an Mre11-dependent recombination pathway by the kinase inhibitor wortmannin. Mutat Res. 510:121-129, 2002. PMID: 12459448.
- Cleaver JE, Bartholomew J, Char D, Crowley E, Feeney L, Limoli CL. Polymerase eta and p53 jointly regulate cell survival, apoptosis and Mre11 recombination during S phase checkpoint arrest after UV irradiation. DNA Repair (Amst). 2002;1:41-57. PMID: 12509296.
- Laposa RR, Feeney L, Cleaver JE. Recapitulation of the cellular xeroderma pigmentosum-variant phenotypes using short interfering RNA for DNA polymerase H. Cancer Res. 63:3909-1392, 2003. PMID: 12873983.
- Tebbs RS, Thompson LH, Cleaver JE. Rescue of Xrcc1 knockout mouse embryo lethality by transgene-complementation. DNA Repair (Amst).2:1405-1417, 2003. PMID: 14642568.
- Schneider TE, Barland C, Alex AM, Mancianti ML, Lu Y, Cleaver JE, Lawrence HJ, Ghadially R. Measuring stem cell frequency in epidermis: a quantitative in vivo functional assay for long-term repopulating cells. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.100:11412-11417, 2003. PMID: 13679571.
- Cleaver JE, Collins C, Ellis J, Volik S. Genome sequence and splice site analysis of low-fidelity DNA polymerases H and I involved in replication of damaged DNA. Genomics. 82:561-5670, 2003. PMID: 14559213.
- Wechsler T, Chen BP, Harper R, Morotomi-Yano K, Huang BC, Meek K, Cleaver JE, Chen DJ, Wabl M. DNA-PKcs function regulated specifically by protein phosphatase 5. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A.101:1247-1252, 2004. PMID: 14734805.
- Limoli CL, Giedzinski E, Cleaver JE. Alternative pathways for intrastrand recombination after UV irradiation involve Rad51 and the Mre11 complex in polymerase -defective XP Variant cells. Oncogene, 24:3708-3714, 2005. PMID: 15750628.
- Cleaver JE. Splitting hairs-discovery of a new DNA repair and transcription factor for the human disease trichothiodystrophy. DNA repair (Amst) ;4:285-287, 2005. PMID 15687864.
- Safar JG, Kellings K, Serban A, Groth D, Cleaver JE, Prusiner SB, Riesner D. Search for a prion-specific nucleic acid. J.Virol. 79:10796-10806, 2005. PMID: 16051871.
- Cleaver JE. Cancer in Xeroderma pigmentosum and related disorders of DNA repair. Nature Reviews on Cancer 5:564-573, 2005. PMID: 16069818.
- Chen Y-w, Cleaver J.E., Hanaoka F., Chang C-f, Chou K-m. A Novel Role of DNA Polymerase in Modulating Cellular Sensitivity to Chemotherapeutic Agents. Mol Cancer Res 4:257-265, 2006. PMID: 16603639.
- Bagheri,S., Li,S., Nosrati,M., Fong,S., Moore,D., Laposa, R.R., Cleaver, J.E., Debs,R.J., Blackburn, E.H., Kashani-Sabet,M. Direct Role for Telomerase in the Invasiveness and Metastatic Progression of Melanoma. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 103: 11306-11311, 2006. PMID 16847266
- Marti T.M., Hefner E., Feeney L., Natale V. Cleaver J.E. H2AX phosphorylation within the G1 phase after UV irradiation depends on nucleotide excision repair and not DNA double strand breaks. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA. 103: 9891-9896, 2006. PMID: 16788066.
- Cleaver, J.E., Feeney, L., Tang, J.Y., Tuttle, P. Xeroderma pigmentosum group C in an isolated region of Guatemala. J Invest Dermaotol. 2006 Epub. PMID 16990803.