Research Chemist, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
University of California, Davis, B.A., 1969, Chemistry
Purdue University, Lafayette, IN, Ph.D., 1975, Organic Chemistry
University of California, San Francisco, Postdoc, 1975-78, Pharmaceutical Chemistry
Teaching and Research Assistant, Department of Chemistry, Purdue University, W. Lafayette, Indiana
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, University of California, San Francisco, California
Assistant Research Chemist, Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, and Division of Clinical Pharma-cology, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center
Associate Research Chemist, Departments of Medicine and Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, and Division of Clinical Pharmacology, San Francisco General Hospital
Research Chemist, Depts. of Medicine and Psychiatry, University of California, San Francisco, and Div. of Clinical Pharmacology, San Francisco General Hospital Medical Center
Honors & Awards
NIH Postdoctoral Fellow
Allied Chemical Corporation Fellow
- (From a Total of 152)
- Haller CA, P Jacob III, and NL Benowitz. Enhanced stimulant and metabolic effects of combined ephedrine and caffeine. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 75:259-273, 2004.
- Jacob P, III, CA Haller, M Duan, L Yu, M Peng, and NL Benowitz. Determination of ephedra alkaloid and caffeine concentrations in dietary supplements and biological fluids. J Anal Toxicol, 28:152-159, 2004.
- Haas JS, CP Kaplan, D Barenboim, P Jacob, III, and NL Benowitz. Bupropion in breast milk: An exposure assessment for potential treatment to prevent post-partum tobacco use. Tobacco Control, 13:52-56, 2004.
- Benowitz NL, OF Pomerleau, CS Pomerleau, and P Jacob, III. Nicotine metabolite ratio as a predictor of cigarette consumption. Nicotine Tob Res, 5:621-624, 2003.
- Dietrich M, G Block, NL Benowitz, JD Morrow, M Hudes, P Jacob, III, EP Norkus, and L Packer. Vitamin C supplementation decreases oxidative stress biomarker F2-isoprostane in plasma of nonsmokers exposed to environmental tobacco smoke. Nutrition and Cancer, 45:176-184, 2003.
- Benowitz NL, Peng M, Jacob P III. Effects of cigarette smoking and carbon monoxide on chlorzoxazone and caffeine metabolism. Clin Pharmacol Ther, 74:468-474, 2003.
- Benowitz NL, A Hannson, P Jacob III: Cardiovascular effects of nasal and transdermal nicotine and cigarette smoking. Hypertension 39:1107-1112, 2002.
- Benowitz NL, EJ Perez-Stable, B Herrera, and P. Jacob, III: Slower metabolism and reduced intake of nicotine from cigarette smoking in Chinese-Americans. J Natl Cancer Inst 94:108-115, 2002.
- Campbell BJ, Rowbotham M, Davies PS, Jacob P, III, Benowitz NL. Systemic absorption of topical lidocaine in normal volunteers, patients with post-herpetic neuralgia, and patients with acute herpes zoster. J Pharm Sci 91(5): 1343-50, 2002.
- Dempsey D, P Jacob III, NL Benowitz: Accelerated metabolism of nicotine and cotinine in pregnant smokers. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 301:594-598, 2002.
- Haller CA, P Jacob III, NL Benowitz: Pharmacology of ephedra alkaloids and caffeine after single-dose dietary supplement use. Clin Pharmacol Ther 71:421-432, 2002.
- Jacob P, III, D Hatsukami, H Severson, S Hall, L Yu, NL Benowitz: Anabasine and anatabine as biomarkers for tobacco use during nicotine replacement therapy. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev, 11:1668-1673, 2002.
- Jacob P, III, M Wilson, L Yu, J Mendelson, RT Jones: Determina-tion of 4-hydroxy-3-methoxyphenyl-ethylene glycol-4 sulfate in human urine using liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Anal Chem 74:5290-5296, 2002.
- Benowitz NL, P Jacob, III: Trans-3'-hydroxycotinine: Disposition kinetics, effects, and plasma levels during cigarette smoking. Br J Clin Pharmacol 51:53-59, 2001.
- Zevin S, S Saunders, SG Gourlay, P Jacob, III, NL Benowitz: Cardiovascular effects of carbon monoxide and cigarette smoking. J Am Coll Cardiol, 38:1633-1638, 2001.
- Benowitz NL, P Jacob III: Effects of cigarette smoking and carbon monoxide on nicotine and cotinine metabolism Clin Pharmacol Ther 67:653-659, 2000.
- Dempsey D , P Jacob III, NL Benowitz Nicotine metabolism and elimination kinetics in the newborn. Clin Pharmacol Ther 67:458-465, 2000.
- Jacob P III, W Yu, L Yu, NL Benowitz: Simultaneous determination of mecamylamine, nicotine, and cotinine in plasma by gas chromatography-mass spectrometry. J Pharm Biomed Anal 23:653-661, 2000.
- Zevin S, P Jacob III, P Geppetti, NL Benowitz: Nicotine-mecamylamine interactions. Clin Pharmacol Ther 68:58-66, 2000.
- Zevin S, P Jacob III, P Geppetti, NL Benowitz: Clinical pharmacology of oral cotinine. Drug Alcohol Depend 60:13-18, 2000.
- Jacob P III, AT Shulgin, NL Benowitz: Minor tobacco alkaloids as biomarkers for tobacco use: Comparison of cigarettes, smokeless tobacco, cigar and pipe users. Am J Public Health 89:731-736, 1999.
- Panganiban K, P Jacob III, ET Everhart, EC Tisdale, SL Batki, JE Mendelson, RT Jones: Sulfon-ium salts as deri-vatizing agents. 3. Quantitation of the cocaine metabolite benzoylecgonine in urine using gas chromatography with ion-pair extraction/on-column alkylation. J Anal Toxicol 23:581-585, 1999.
- Gelal A, P Jacob III, L Yu, NL Benowitz: Disposition kinetics and effects of menthol. Clin Pharmacol Ther 66:128-135, 1999.
- Dempsey, DA, P Jacob III, JC Partridge, RT Jones, MC Rowbotham: The elimination half-life of cocaine and benzoylecgonine in neonates. J Anal Toxicol 23:24-28, 1999.
- Jacob P III, GD Byrd: Use of gas chromatographic and mass spectrometric techniques for the determination of nicotine and its metabolites In: Analytical Determination of Nicotine and Related Compounds and Their Metabolites, edited by J W Gorrod and P Jacob, III. Elsevier, Amsterdam, pp 191-224.
- Benowitz NL, S Zevin, P Jacob, III: Suppression of nicotine intake during ad libitum cigarette smoking by high dose transdermal nicotine. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 287:958-962, 1998.
- Zevin, S, P Jacob III, N Benowitz: Dose-related cardiovascular and endocrine effects of transdermal nicotine. Clin Pharmacol Ther 64:87-95, 1998.
- Perez-Stable EJ, B Herrera, P Jacob III, NL Benowitz: Nicotine metabolism and intake in black and white smokers. J Am Med Assn 280:152-156, 1998.
- Denaro CP, P Jacob III, NL Benowitz: Evaluation of pharmacokinetic methods used to estimate caffeine clear-ance and comparison with a bayesian forecasting method. Ther Drug Monit 20:78-87, 1998.
- Henderson, GL, MR Harkey, C Zhou, RT Jones, P Jacob III: Incorporation of isotopically labeled cocaine into human hair: Race as a factor. J Anal Toxicol 22:156-165, 1998.
- Benowitz NL, P Jacob III, J Slade, L Yu: Nicotine content of the Eclipse nicotine delivery device (Ltr). Am J Public Health 87:1865-1866, 1997.
- Jacob, P, M Ulgen, JW Gorrod: Metabolism of (S)-(-)-nicotine by guinea pig and rat brain: Identi-fication of cotinine. Eur J Drug Metabol Pharmacokin 22:391-394, 1997.
- Everhart ET, P Cheung, P Shwonek, K Zabel, EC Tisdale, P Jacob, III, J Mendelson, RT Jones: Subnanogram level measurement of buprenorphine in human plasma by electron-capture, capil-lary gas chromatography: Application to pharmacokinetics of sub-lingual bupre-norphine. Clin Chem 43:2292-2302, 1997.
- Zevin S, P Jacob III, N Benowitz: Cotinine effects on nicotine metabolism. Clin Pharma-col Ther 61:649-654, 1997.
- Eldirdiri, N, M Ulgen, P Jacob, JW Gorrod: The in vitro metabolism of norcotinine and related bio-trans-formation products by microsomal preparations. Eur J Drug Metabol Pharma-co-kin 22:385-390, 1997.