Jennifer E. James, MSW, MS, PhD
Assistant Professor, Institute for Health & Aging, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsCancer Control
Yale University, New Haven, CT, BA, 05/2008, Political Science
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, MSW, 05/2010, Social Work
University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA, MS, 08/2010, Social Policy
University of California, San Francisco, PhD, 06/2016, Sociology
Honors & Awards
Yale University President's Public Service Fellowship
Yale University Morse College Fellows Award
UCSF National Institute for General Medical Sciences Fellowship
AACR Minority Scholar in Cancer Research Award ($1,800)
UCSF Graduate Research Mentorship Fellowship
UCSF Graduate Dean's Health Science Fellowship
Esther Ngan-Ling Chow and Mareyjoyce Green Scholarship ($15,000)
UCSF School of Pharmacy, Dean’s Recognition for Excellence in Teaching
UCSF Hartford Center of Gerontological Nursing Excellence Educational,
- Research & Leadership Development in Gerontological Nursing Award ($1,000)
University of California Dissertation-Year Fellowship
Olesen Dissertation Scholarship ($2,000)
Barbara Rosenblum Dissertation Scholarship ($2,500)
UCSF School of Nursing Alumni Association Scholarship ($6,000)
UC President's Postdoctoral Fellowship Finalist
International Institute for Qualitative Inquiry, Qualitative Dissertation Award
- James, J.E. (2020) "Collective Dialogue and the Ethics of Caring: A Black Feminist Methodology." In Z. Luna & W. Pirtle (Eds.), Black Feminist Sociology. New York: Routledge.
- James, J. (2018). Reinforcing Loss and Rendering Invisible: Adoptee Experience and the Structural Failings of Biomedicine. Narrative Inquiry in Bioethics 8(2), 151-156. Johns Hopkins University Press.
- James, J.E. (2016) "Black Women with Advanced Cancer and the Challenge of Biomedicine: A Black Feminist Methodological Exploration of the Lived Experience of Terminal Illness." PhD dissertation. Department of Social and Behavioral Sciences, University of California, San Francisco.
- Kestenbaum, A., James, J.E., Borovska, S., Shields, M., Hocker, W., Rabow, M. and Dunn, L.B. (2015) "'Taking Your Place at the Table': an autoethnograpic study of chaplains' participation on an interdisciplinary research team." BMC Palliative Care, 14(1).