Andrew D. Leavitt, MD
Professor, Departments of Laboratory Medicine and Medicine (Div. of Hematology/Oncology), UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsAffiliate Member
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, B.S., 1979, Zoology
Harvard Medical School, M.D., 1984, Medicine
Honors & Awards
James B. Angell Scholar, University of Michigan
Phi Beta Kappa, University of Michigan
Karin Grunebaum Cancer Research Foundation Fellowship, Harvard Medical School
Cum Laude, Harvard Medical School
Outstanding House Officer Award, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan
Burroughs Wellcome Research Fellowship
Nomination for Small Group Teaching Award; UCSF Class of 2000
Nomination for Small Group Teaching and Outstanding Lecture Award; UCSF Class of 2002
Outstanding Lecture Award; UCSF Class of 2005
Nominated for Kaiser Award for Excellence in Teaching
Excellence in Teaching Award from the Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educator-UCSF
- Housley PR, Leavitt AD, Whitfield HJ. Genetic analysis of a temperature-sensitive Salmonella typhimurium rho mutant with an altered rho-associated polycytidylate-dependent adenosine triphosphatase activity. J Bacteriol 147:13-24, 1982.
- Leavitt AD, Roberts TM, Garcea RL. Polyoma virus major capsid protein, VP1: Purification after high level expression in Escherichia coli. J Biol Chem 260:12803-12809, 1985.
- Leavitt AD, Zweifler AJ. Nifedipine, hypotension, and myocardial injury. Ann Intern Med 108:305, 1988.
- Leavitt AD, Kauffman CA. Cryptococcal aortitis. Am J Med 85:108-110, 1988.
- Leavitt AD, Rose RB, Varmus HE. Both substrate and target nucleotide sequences affect in vitro integration mediated by HIV-1 integrase protein (IN) produced in Sacharomyces cerevisiae. J Virol 66:2359-2368, 1992.
- Leavitt, AD, Shiue, L. Varmus, HE. Site directed mutagenesis of HIV-1 integrase demonstrates differential effects on integrase functions in vitro. J Biol Chem 268: 2113-2119, 1993.
- Delos SE, Cripe TP, Leavitt AD, Griesman H, Garcea RL. Expression of the polyomavirus minor capsid proteins, VP2 and VP3, in Escherichia coli: in vitro interactions with recombinant VP1 capsomeres. J. Virol. 69:7734-7742, 1995.
- Leavitt AD, Robles G, Alesandro N, Varmus HE. HIV-1 integrase mutants retain in vivo integrase activity yet fail to integrate viral DNA efficiently during infection. J. Virol. 70:721-728, 1996.
- Brady KA, Cowan MJ, Leavitt AD. Circulating red blood cells usually remain of host origin after bone marrow transplantation for severe combined immunodeficiency. Transfusion 36:314-317, 1996.
- Gelb A, Leavitt AD. Crossmatch-compatible platelets improve corrected count increments in patients refractory to randomly-selected platelets. Transfusion 37:624-630, 1997.
- Fletcher TM, Soares MA, McPhearson S, Hui H, Wiskerchen MA, Muesing MA, Shaw GM, Leavitt, AD, Boeke, JD, and Hahn, BH. Complementation of integrase function in HIV-1 virions. EMBO 16:5123-5138, 1997.
- Mychaliska GB, Muench MO, Rice, HE, Leavitt AD, Cruz J, Harrison MR. The biology and ethics of banking fetal liver hematopoietic stem cells for in utero transplantation. J. Pediat. Surgery 33:294-9, 1998.
- Gaur M, Leavitt AD. Mutations in the HIV-1 integrase D,D(35)E motif do not eliminate provirus formation. J. Virol. 72:4678-4685, 1998.
- Murphy GJ and Leavitt AD. A model for studying megakaryocyte development and biology. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96:3065-3070, 1999.
- Shiraga M, Ritchie A, Aidoudi S, Baron V, Wilcox D, White G, Ybarrando B, Murphy G, Leavitt AD, Shattil SJ. Primary megakaryocytes reveal a role for transcription factor NF-E2 in integrin IIb3 signaling. J. Cell Biol. 147:1419-29, 1999.
- Maurer K, Tang AH, Kenyon GL, Leavitt AD. Carbonyl J Derivatives: a new class of HIV-1 integrase inhibitors. Bioorganic Chemistry 28:140-155, 2000.
- Chen, JC-H, Krucinsky J, Miercke LJW, Finer-Moore JS, Tang AH, Leavitt AD, Stroud, RM. Crystal structure of the HIV-1 integrase catalytic core and C-terminal domains: a model for viral DNA binding. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 97:8233-8238, 2000.
- Gaur M, Murphy GJ, deSauvage FJ, Leavitt AD. Characterization of Mpl mutants using primary megakaryocyte -lineage cells from mpl-/- mice: a new system for studying Mpl function. Blood, 97: 1653-1661, 2001.
- Shattil, SJ and Leavitt, AD All in the family: primary megakaryocytes for studies of platelet IIb3 signaling. Thrombosis and Haemostasis 86: 259-65, 2001.
- Eto K, Murphy R, Bertoni A, Stuhlmann H, Nakano T, Leavitt AD, and Shattil SJ. Megakaryocytes from embryonic stem cells implicate CalDAG-GEFI in integrin signaling. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci., USA 99:12819-24, 2002.
- Murphy GJ, Gottgens B, Vegiopoulos A, Sanchez MJ, Leavitt AD, Watson SP, Green AR, Frampton J. Manipulation of mouse hematopoietic progenitors by specific retroviral infection. J Biol Chem, 278:43556-63, 2003.
- Eto K, Leavitt AD, Nakano T, and Shattil SJ. Development and analysis of megakaryocytes from murine embryonic stem cells. In, Differentiation of Embryonic Stem Cells. Methods in Enzymology, 365:142-58, 2003.
- Gaur M, Murphy GJ, Frampton, J, and Leavitt AD. Use of retroviruses to infect early megakaryocyte-lineage cells and mature megakaryocytes. In, Methods in Molecular Medicine: Platelets and Megakaryocytes, Humana Press, 2004.
- Kamata T, Pritchard CA, Leavitt AD. Raf-1 is not required for megakaryocytopoiesis or TPO-induced ERK phosphorylation. Blood 103:2568-70, 2004.
- Kerrigan SW, Gaur M, Murphy R, Shattil SJ, and Leavitt AD. Caspase-12 expression in murine megakaryo-cytes requires NF-E2 and contributes to integrin IIb3 signaling in platelets Blood 104:1327-34, 2004.
- Kamata T, Kang J, Lee TH, Wojnowski L, Pritchard CA, Leavitt AD. A critical function for B-Raf at multiple stages of myelopoiesis. Blood 106:833-40, 2005.
- Watson SP, Bahou WF, Fitzgerald D, Ouwehand, W, Rao AK, Leavitt AD. Mapping the platelet proteome: a report of the ISTH Platelet Physiology Subcommittee. J Thromb Haemost. 3:2098-101, 2005.
- Gaur M, Kamata, T, Wang S, Moran B, Shattil SJ, Leavitt AD. Megakaryocytes derived from human embryonic stem cells: a genetically tractable system to study megakaryocytopoiesis and integrin function. J Throm Haemost. 4:436-42, 2006.
- King F, Ritner C, Liszewski W, Kwan HCK, Petersen A, Leavitt AD, Bernstein BS. Subpopulations of human embryonic stem cells with distinct tissue-specific fates can be selected from pluripotent cultures. Stem Cells and Development, 18:1441-50, 2009.
- Alain A, Griner S, Chiang V, Tsiang M, Jones G, Birkus G, Geleziunas R, Leavitt AD, Stroud R. Active complex of HIV-1 integrase with a viral DNA substrate binds anti-integrase drugs. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci USA, 106:8192-7, 2009.
- Leavitt AD. Are there more tricks in the bag for treating thrombocytopenia? Journal of Clincial Investigation 120: 3807-10, 2010.