Professor and Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology, and Professor, Department of Urology, UCSF
Morehouse College, Atlanta, GA, BS, 1975, Physics
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford,CA, MD, 1979, Medicine
University of California San Francisco, Fellow, 1981-83, Med Oncology
Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford,CA, Resident, 1984-87, Radiation Oncology
Acting Chief, Radiation Oncology Service, VA Medical Center, Martinez, CA
Chief, Radiation Oncology Service, VA Medical Center, Martinez, CA
Assistant Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, UCSF
Associate Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology, UCSF
Professor, Department of Radiation Oncology & Urology, UCSF
Vice Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology, UCSF
Interim Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
Chair, Department of Radiation Oncology
Honors & Awards
Outstanding Intern of the Year (Charles R. Drew Award)
Fellow of the American Cancer Society
UCSF Health Net Wellness Award
American Cancer Society Career Development Award
- 1996-97; 1997-98; 2001-02
"The Best Doctors in America"
Fellow, American College of Radiology
President, John Hale Medical Society
10 Most Influential African Americans in the Bay Area (Healthcare)
- Ludlum E, Mu G, Weinberg V, Roach M, 3rd, Verhey LJ, Xia P. An algorithm for shifting MLC shapes to adjust for daily prostate movement during concurrent treatment with pelvic lymph nodes. Med Phys. Dec 2007;34(12):4750-4756.
- Stone NN, Potters L, Davis BJ, et al. Customized dose prescription for permanent prostate brachytherapy: insights from a multicenter analysis of dosimetry outcomes. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Dec 1 2007;69(5):1472-1477.
- Litzenberg DW, Willoughby TR, Balter JM, et al. Positional Stability of Electromagnetic Transponders Used for Prostate Localization and Continuous, Real-Time Tracking. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. May 18 2007.
- Speight JL, Roach M, 3rd. Advances in the treatment of localized prostate cancer: the role of anatomic and functional imaging in men managed with radiotherapy. J Clin Oncol. Mar 10 2007;25(8):987-995.
- Lee B, Shinohara K, Weinberg V, et al. Feasibility of high-dose-rate brachytherapy salvage for local prostate cancer recurrence after radiotherapy: The University of California-San Francisco experience. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Mar 15 2007;67(4):1106-1112.
- Schiffner DC, Gottschalk AR, Lometti M, et al. and Roach M. Daily electronic portal imaging of implanted gold seed fiducials in patients undergoing radiotherapy after radical prostatectomy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Feb 1 2007;67(2):610-619.
- Sahgal A, Roach M, 3rd. Permanent prostate seed brachytherapy: a current perspective on the evolution of the technique and its application. Nat Clin Pract Urol. Dec 2007;4(12):658-670.
- Roach M, 3rd, Weinberg V, Sandler H, Thompson I. Staging for prostate cancer: time to incorporate pretreatment prostate-specific antigen and Gleason score? Cancer. Jan 15 2007;109(2):213-220.
- Roach M, 3rd, De Silvio M, Rebbick T, et al. Racial differences in CYP3A4 genotype and survival among men treated on Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) 9202: a phase III randomized trial. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Sep 1 2007;69(1):79-87.
- Frank SJ, Grimm PD, Sylvester JE, et al. Interstitial implant alone or in combination with external beam radiation therapy for intermediate-risk prostate cancer: a survey of practice patterns in the United States. Brachytherapy. Jan-Mar 2007;6(1):2-8.
- Zapotoczna A, Sasso G, Simpson J, Roach M, 3rd. Current role and future perspectives of magnetic resonance spectroscopy in radiation oncology for prostate cancer. Neoplasia. Jun 2007;9(6):455-463.
- Lometti MW, Thurston D, Aubin M, and Roach, M. Are lateral electronic portal images adequate for accurate on-line daily targeting of the prostate? Results of a prospective study. Med Dosim. Spring 2008;33(1):22-29.
- Lawton CA, DeSilvio M, Roach M., et al. An update of the phase III trial comparing whole pelvic to prostate only radiotherapy and neoadjuvant to adjuvant total androgen suppression: updated analysis of RTOG 94-13, with emphasis on unexpected hormone/radiation interactions. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys. 69(3):464-55, 2007.
- Roach M, 3rd, Bae K, Speight J, et al. Short-term neoadjuvant androgen deprivation therapy and external-beam radiotherapy for locally advanced prostate cancer: long-term results of RTOG 8610. J Clin Oncol. Feb 1 2008;26(4):585-591.
- D'ambrosio DJ, Pollack A, Harris EER, Price RA, Verhey LJ, Roach III M, Demanes DJ, Steinberg ML, Potters L, Wallern PE, Konski A. Assessment of external beam radiation technology for dose escalation and normal tissue protection in the treatment of prostate cancer. Int J Radiation Oncol Biol Phys. 70 (3):671-77, 2008.
- McKenna DA, Coakley FV, Westphalen AC, et al. Prostate Cancer: Role of Pretreatment MR in Predicting Outcome after External-Beam Radiation Therapy--Initial Experience. Radiology. Feb 7 2008.
- Shinohara K, Roach M, 3rd. Technique for implantation of fiducial markers in the prostate. Urology. Feb 2008;71(2):196-2008.
- Chan LW, Xia P, Gottschalk AR, et al. and Roach, M.. Proposed Rectal Dose Constraints for Patients Undergoing Definitive Whole Pelvic Radiotherapy for Clinically Localized Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Mar 12 2008.
- Chung HT, Xia P, Chan LW, Park-Somers E, and Roach M. Does Image-Guided Radiotherapy Improve Toxicity Profile in Whole Pelvic-Treated High-Risk Prostate Cancer? Comparison Between IG-IMRT and IMRT. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. May 21 2008.
- Taussky D, Bae K, Bahary JP, Roach M. et al. Does timing of androgen deprivation influence radiation-induced toxicity? A secondary analysis of radiation therapy oncology group protocol 9413. Urology. Nov 2008;72(5):1125-1129.
- Hartsell WF, Desilvio M, Bruner DW, Scarantino, C., Ivker, R., Roach, M., 3rd et al. Can physicians accurately predict survival time in patients with metastatic cancer? Analysis of RTOG 97-14. J Palliat Med. Jun 2008;11(5):723-728.
- Sahgal A, Jabbari S, Chen J, Pickett, B., Roach, M., 3rd et al. Comparison of dosimetric and biologic effective dose parameters for prostate and urethra using 131 Cs and 125 I for prostate permanent implant brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Sep 1 2008;72(1):247-254.
- Joseph T, McKenna DA, Westphalen AC Coakley, F. V., Zhao, S., Lu, Y., Hsu, I. C., Roach, M., 3rd, Kurhanewicz, J.. Pretreatment Endorectal Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopic Imaging Features of Prostate Cancer as Predictors of Response to External Beam Radiotherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Aug 27 2008.
- Lawton CA, Michalski J, El-Naqa I, Kuban, D., Lee, W. R., Rosenthal, S. A., Zietman, A., Sandler, H., Shipley, W., Ritter, M., Valicenti, R., Catton, C., Roach, M., 3rd, Pisansky, T. M., Seider, M. Variation in the Definition of Clinical Target Volumes for Pelvic Nodal Conformal Radiation Therapy for Prostate Cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Oct 21 2008.
- Schroder FH, Roach M, 3rd, Scardino P. Clinical decisions. Management of prostate cancer. N Engl J Med. Dec 11 2008;359(24):2605-2609.
- Stone NN, Potters L, Davis BJ, Ciezki, J. P., Zelefsky, M. J., Roach, M. et al. Multicenter analysis of effect of high biologic effective dose on biochemical failure and survival outcomes in patients with Gleason score 7-10 prostate cancer treated with permanent prostate brachytherapy. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. Feb 1 2009;73(2):341-346.