Maren Scheuner, MD, MPH
Medical Director of Cancer Genetics, Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center; Professor, Dept. of Pediatrics, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsCancer Genetics
University of California, Riverside, CA, BS, 1979-82
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, MPH, 1982-84
University of California, Los Angeles, CA, MD, 1986-88
Clinical Instructor, UCLA School of Medicine
Director, GenRISK Program, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Assistant Professor of Medicine, UCLA School of Medicine
Associate Professor of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine, UCLA
ATPM Career Development Awardee, Office of Genomics and Disease Prevention, CDC
Visiting Associate Professor, Department of Health Services, UCLA School of Public Health
Scientific Director, Family HealthwareTM (CDC family history tool)
Senior Researcher, UCLA Center for Health Policy Research
Natural Scientist, RAND Corporation (Affiliate since 2010)
Adjunct Associate Professor, UCLA School of Public Health, Department of Health Services
Health Research Scientist, VA GLA HCS, Center for the Study of Healthcare Provider Behavior
Director, Health Services Genomics Research Program, VA Greater Los Angeles HCS
Health Sciences Assoc. Professor, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Director, Clinical Genetics Services, VISN 22
Chief, Medical Genetics, VA Greater Los Angeles Healthcare System
Health Sciences Clinical Professor, Department of Medicine, David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA
Professor, Clinical X Series, Department of Pediatrics, Division of Medical Genetics, UCSF
Medical Director, Cancer Genetics, UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center
Staff Physician, Department of Medicine, Division of Hematology-Oncology, VA San Francisco Healthcare System
- Scheuner MT, Marshall N, Lanto A, Hamilton AB, Oishi S, Lerner B, Lee M, Yano EM. Delivery ofclinical genetic consultative services in the Veterans Health Administration. Genet Med2014;16(8):609-19. PMID: 24503778
- Scheuner MT, Hamilton AB, Peredo J, Sale TJ, Austin C, Gilman SC, Bowen MS, Goldzweig CL, LeeM, Mittman BS, Yano EM. A cancer genetics toolkit improves access to genetic services throughdocumentation and use of the family history by primary care clinicians. Genet Med 2014;16(1):60-9.
- Hamilton AB, Oishi S, Yano EM, Gammage CE, Marshall NJ, Chou A, Scheuner MT. Factorsinfluencing adoption and implementation of clinical genetic services. Genet Med 2014;16(3):238-45.doi: 10.1038/gim.2013.101. Epub 2013 Aug 15. PMID: 23949572
- Scheuner MT, Edelen MO, Hilborne LH, Lubin IM. Effective communication of molecular genetic testresults to primary care providers. Genet Med 2013;15(6):444-449.
- Khoury MJ, Coates R, Fennell M, Glasgow R, Scheuner MT, Schully S, Williams M. Multilevelresearch and the challenges of implementing genomic medicine. J Natl Cancer Instit Monograph2012;2012(44):112-120. PMCID: PMC3482965
- Scheuner MT, Hilborne L, Brown J, Lubin IM. A report template for molecular genetic tests designedto improve communication between the clinician and laboratory. Genet Test Mol Biomarkers2012;16(7):761-769.
- Scheuner MT, McNeel TS, Freedman AN. Population prevalence of familial cancer and commonhereditary cancer syndromes. The 2005 California Health Interview Survey. Genet Med 2010;12:726-735. PMID: 20921897
- Scheuner MT, Setodji CM, Pankow J, Blumenthal RS, Keeler E. General Cardiovascular Risk Profileidentifies advanced coronary artery calcium and is improved by family history: the Multi-ethnic Studyof Atherosclerosis. Circ Cardiovasc Genet 2010;3:97-105. PMCID: PMC2932659
- Yoon PW, Scheuner MT, Jorgensen C, Khoury MJ. Developing Family Healthware, a family historyscreening tool to prevent common chronic diseases. Prev Chronic Dis 2009;6(1):A33.
- Scheuner MT, deVries H, Meili R, Olmstead SH, Kim B, Teleki S. Are electronic health records readyfor genomic medicine? Genet Med 2009;11:510-517.
- Scheuner MT, Setodji CM, Pankow J, Blumenthal RS, Keeler E. Relation of familial patterns ofcoronary heart disease, stroke and diabetes to subclinical atherosclerosis: the Multi-Ethnic Study ofAtherosclerosis. Genet Med 2008;10(12):879-887. PMCID: PMC2684807
- Scheuner MT, Sieverding P, Shekelle PG. Delivery of genomic medicine for common chronic adultdiseases: A systematic review. JAMA 2008;299:1320-1324. PMID: 18349093
- Goodarzi MO, Taylor KD, Scheuner MT, Antoine HJ, Guo X, Shah PK, Rotter JI. Haplotypes in thelipoprotein lipase gene influence high-density lipoprotein cholesterol response to statin therapy andprogression of atherosclerosis in coronary artery bypass grafts. Pharmacogenomics J 2007;7:66-73.
- Scheuner MT, Whitworth WC, McGruder H, Yoon PW, Khoury MJ. Expanding the definition of familyhistory for early-onset coronary heart disease. Genet Med 2006;8:491-501.
- Taylor KD, Scheuner MT, Yang H, Wang Y, Haritunians T, Fischel-Ghodsian N, Gray RJ, Shah PK,Forrester JS, Knatterud G, the Post-CABG Trial Investigators, Rotter JI. The lipoprotein lipase locusand progression of atherosclerosis in coronary artery bypass grafts. Genet Med 2004;6:481-486.
- Yoon PW, Scheuner MT, Khoury MJ. Research priorities for evaluating family history in theprevention of common chronic diseases. Am J Prev Med 2003;24:128-135.
- Yoon PW, Scheuner MT, Peterson-Oehlke KL, Gwinn M, Faucett A, Khoury MJ. Can family historybe used as a tool for public health and preventive medicine? Genet Med 2002;4:304-310.
- Tiecke F, Katzke S, Booms P, Robinson PN, Neumann L, Godfrey M, Mathews KR, Scheuner M,Hinkel GK, Brenner RE, Hovels-Gurich HH, Hagemeier C, Fuchs J, Skovby F, Rosenberg T. Classic,atypically severe and neonatal Marfan syndrome: twelve mutations and genotype-phenotypecorrelations in FBN1 exons 24-40. Eur J Hum Genet 2001;9:13-21.
- Gad S, Scheuner M, Pages-Berhouet S, Caux-Moncoutier V, Bensimon A, Aurias A, Pinto M,Stoppa-Lyonnet D. Identification of a large rearrangement of the BRCA1 gene using colour bar codeon combed DNA in an American breast-ovarian cancer family previously studied by directsequencing. J Med Genet 2001;38(6):388-391. PMCID: PMC1734901
- Scheuner, MT, Raffel LJ, Wang S-J, Rotter JI. Family history: a comprehensive genetic riskassessment method for the chronic conditions of adulthood. Am J Med Genet 1997;71:315-324.