Jeffry P. Simko, MD, PhD
Associate Clinical Professor, Department of Pathology, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsProstate Cancer
University of Delaware, Newark, Delaware, BS, 1985, Chemistry
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, PhD, 1990, Analytical Chemistry/ Materials Science
University of North Carolina School of Medicine, MD, 1992-1996, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, CA Resident, 1996-00, Pathology/ Laboratory Medicine
Brigham and Womens Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, Clinical Fellow, 2000-01, Molecular Pathology
University of California, San Francisco, CA, Clinical Fellow, 2001-02, Surgical Pathology
Student Employee, E.I. duPont de Nemours Inc., Pioneering Research Laboratory, Experimental Station, Wilmington, Delaware
Visiting Engineer, IBM T.J. Watson Research Center, Yorktown Hts., NY
Research Assistant, University of North Carolina Chemistry Department
Research Associate, Frontier Research Program, RIKEN, The Institute of Physical and Chemical Research, Wakou-shi, Saitama, Japan
Student Researcher, Department of Biochemistry, UNC School of Medicine
Student Researcher, Department of Maternal and Fetal Medicine, UNC School of Medicine
Visiting Scientist, Department of Biophysics, Beijing Medical University, Beijing, People's Republic of China
Resident, Department of Pathology/Laboratory Medicine, UCSF, San Francisco
Clinical Fellow, Department of Molecular Pathology, Brigham & Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston
Clinical Fellow, Department of Surgical Pathology, UCSF, San Francisco
Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Anatomic Pathology, UCSF, San Francisco
Assistant Professor, Department of Anatomic Pathology, UCSF, San Francisco
Associate Professor, Department of Anatomic Pathology, UCSF, San Francisco
Honors & Awards
American Chemical Society, U. of Delaware Analytical Chemistry Award
Howard Hughes Trust Fund Fellowship
UNC School of Medicine Foreign Fellowship
Medical Alumni Association Research Fellowship
Chief Resident, Department of Pathology, S.F. VA Medical Center
Chief Resident, Department of Pathology, S.F. General Hospital
Chief Resident, Department of Lab Medicine, S.F. General Hospital
College of American Pathology Travel Award: Strategic Science Seminar Series, HER2/neu Testing of Breast Care Patients
- Simko JP, Meguro T, Iwai S, Ozasa K, Aoyagi Y, Sugano T. Surface photo-absorption study of the laser-assisted atomic layer epitaxial growth process of gallium arsenide. Proceedings of the Second International Symposium on Atomic Layer Epitaxy, June 3-6, 1992, Raleigh, North Carolina. Thin Solid Films; 225:40, 1993.
- Simko JP, Versalovic J Caliendo A. Detection of herpes simplex virus DNA in cerebrospinal fluid specimens by PCR: Correlation with clinical presentation and patient history. Clin. Infec. Dis. 35(4):414, (2002).
- DeArmond SJ, Simko JP, Gaskin DA. The molecular and genetic basis of neurodegenerative diseases. Modern Surgical Pathology, N. Weidner, Ed. W.B. Saunders, New York, (2003).
- Vivienne Watson JE, Doggett NA, Albertson DG, Andaya A, Chinnaiyan A, Van Dekken H, Ginzinger D, Haqq C, James K, Kamkar S, Kowbel D, Pinkel D, Schmitt L, Simko JP, Volik S, Weinberg VK, Paris PL, Collins C. Integration of high-resolution array comparative genomic hybridization analysis of chromosome 16q with expression array data refines common regions of loss at 16q23-qter and identifies underlying candidate tumor suppressor genes in prostate cancer. Oncogene 23(19):3487-94 (2004).
- Paris PL, Andaya A, Fridlyand J, Jain AN, Weinberg V, Kowbel D, Brebner JH, Simko J, Watson JE, Volik S, Albertson DG, Pinkel D, Alers JC, van der Kwast TH, Vissers KJ, Schroder FH, Wildhagen MF, Febbo PG, Chinnaiyan AM, Pienta KJ, Carroll PR, Rubin MA, Collins C, van Dekken H., "Whole genome scanning identifies genotypes associated with recurrence and metastasis in prostate tumors," Hum Mol Genet. 13(13): 1303-13 (2004).
- Watson JE, Kamkar S, James K, Kowbel D, Andaya A, Paris PL, Simko J, Carroll P, McAlhany S, Rowley D, Collins C, "Molecular analysis of WFDC1/ps20 gene in prostate cancer," Prostate 61(2): 192-9 (2004).
- Retz MM, Sidhu SS, Blaveri E, Kerr SC, Dolganov GM, Lehmann J, Carroll P, Simko J, Waldman FM, Basbaum C, "CXCR4 expression reflects tumor progression and regulates motility of bladder cancer cells," Int J Cancer 114(2): 182-9 (2005).
- Blaveri E, Simko JP, Korkola JE, Brewer JL, Baehner F, Mehta K, Devries S, Koppie T, Pejavar S, Carroll P, Waldman FM, "Bladder cancer outcome and subtype classification by gene expression," Clin Cancer Res 11(11): 4044-55 (2005).
- Master VA, Chi T, Simko JP, Weinberg V, Carroll PR, "The independent impact of extended pattern biopsy on prostate cancer stage migration," J Urol 174(5): 1789-93 (2005).
- JP Simko and FM Waldman, "Molecular and Special Techniques," in Immunomicroscopy: A Diagnostic Tool for the Surgical Pathologist, 2nd Edition, C. Taylor, R. Cote Eds. (Elsevier, St. Louis, 2006).
- WA Ricke, K Ishii, EA Ricke, JP Simko, YZ Wang, SW Hayward, and FR Cunha, "Steroid Hormones Stimulate Human Prostate Cancer Progression and Metastasis," Int J Cancer, Dec 5; [Epub ahead of print] (2005).
- Blaveri E, Brewer JL, Roydasgupta R, Fridlyand J, DeVries S, Koppie T, Pejavar S, Mehta K, Carroll P, Simko JP, Waldman FM, "Bladder cancer stage and outcome by array-based comparative genomic hybridization," Clin Cancer Res 11(19 Pt 1): 7012-22 (2005).
- Paris P, Weinberg V, Simko J, Andaya A, Albo G, Rubin M, Carroll P, Collins C, "Preliminary Validation of Prostate Cancer Metastatic Risk Biomarkers," Int. J. Biomarkers 20(3): 141-45 (2005).
- Hom JJ, Coakley FV, Simko JP, Qayyum A, Lu Y, Schmitt L, Carroll PR, Kurhanewicz J, "Prostate Cancer: Endorectal MR Imaging and MR Spectroscopic Imaging--Distinction of True-Positive Results from Chance-detected Lesions," Radiology 238(1): 192-9 (2006).
- Rini BI, Weinberg V, Dunlap S, Elchinoff A, Yu N, Bok R, Simko J, Small EJ, "Maximal COX-2 immunostaining and clinical response to celecoxib and interferon alpha therapy in metastatic renal cell carcinoma," Cancer 106(3): 566-75 (2006).
- Sanchez-Mejia RO, Ojemann SG, Simko J, Chaudhary UB, Levy J, Lawton MT, "Sacral epithelioid angiosarcoma associated with a bleeding diathesis and spinal epidural hematoma: case report," J Neurosurg Spine 4(3): 246-50 (2006).
- A M De Marzo , E A Platz , J I Epstein , T Ali , A Billis, T Y Chan , L Cheng, M Datta, L Egevad, D Ertoy-Baydar , X Farre , S W Fine , K A Iczkowski, M Ittmann, B S Knudsen, M Loda, A Lopez-Beltran, C Magi-Galluzzi, G Mikuz , R Montironi, E Pikarsky, G Pizov, M A Rubin, H Samaratunga, T Sebo, I A Sesterhenn, RB Shah, S Signoretti, J Simko ,G Thomas, P Troncoso, T Tsuzuki, G JLH van Leenders, XJ Yang, M Zhou, W D Figg, A Hoque and M S Lucia, "A Working Group Classification of Focal Prostate Atrophy Lesions," Am. J. Surg. Pathol. 30(10): 1281-91 (2006).
- M Swanson, A Zektzer, ZL Tabatabai, J Simko, S Jarso, K Keshari, L Schmitt, P Carroll, K Shinohara, D Vigneron, and J Kurhanewicz, "Quantitative Analysis of Prostate Metabolites using 1H HR-MAS Spectroscopy," Mag Res Med 55(6): 1257-64 (2006).
- B. Rini, E. Jaeger, N. Sein, K. Fong, K. Chew, J. Simko and F. Waldman, "Clinical Response to VEGF Targeted Therapy in Metastatic Renal Cell Carcinoma: Impact of Patient Characteristics and VHL Gene Status," Br. J. Urol. Int. 98(4): 756-62 (2006).
- Ruan, W., Sassoon, A., An., F., Simko, J.P. and Liu, B. Identification of Clinically Significant Antigens by Selecting Phage Antibody Library on Tumor Cells in situ Using Laser Capture Microdissection. Mol Cell Proteomics. 5(12):2364-73 (2006).
- Liu, B., Conrad, F., Roth, A., Drummond, D.C., Simko, J., Marks, J.D.. Recombinant Full-length IgG1s Targeting Hormone Refractory Prostate Cancer. J. Mol. Med 85(10):1113-23 (2007).