Associate Adjunct Professor, Department of Psychiatry, UCSF
State University of New York, Binghamton, NY, B.A., 1990, Psychology
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, M.A., 1993, Clinical Psychology
University Univ. of Mississippi/Veterans Affairs Med. Center, Jackson, MS, Residency, 1994-95, Clinical Psychology
University of Rhode Island, Kingston, RI, Ph.D., 1995, Clinical Psychology
University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX, Post-doc, 1995-97, Cancer Prevention
University of California San Francisco, CA, Post-doc, 1997-99, Substance Abuse
University of California San Francisco, CA, Certificate, 2001-02, Clinical Research
Assistant Research Psychologist, Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, CA
Assistant Adjunct Professor (2000-2006); Associate Adjunct Professor (2006-Present), Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, CA
Attending Medical Staff, Langley Porter Psychiatric Institute, Department of Psychiatry, University of California San Francisco, CA
Honors & Awards
University Cancer Foundation Fellowship Award in Cancer Prevention Research, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center, Houston, TX
New Investigator Award -Tobacco Related Disease Research Program, University of California
Mentored Patient Oriented Research Career Development Award - National Institute on Drug Abuse
Nominated for the First Annual Award for Outstanding Faculty Mentorship to Postdoctoral Scholars, Postdoctoral Scholars Association, University of California San Francisco
- Guilmette TJ, Tsoh JY, & Malcolm C (1995). Orientation & three-word recall in predicting memory: Age effects and false-negative errors. Neuropsychiatry, Neuropsychology, & Behavioral Neurology, 8, 20-25.
- Johnson WG, Tsoh JY, & Varnado PJ (1996). Eating disorders: Efficacy of pharmacological and psychological interventions. Clinical Psychology Review, 16, 457-478.
- Prokhorov AV, Emmons KM, Pallonen UE, & Tsoh JY (1996). Respiratory response to cigarette smoking among young smokers: A pilot study. Preventive Medicine, 25, 633-640.
- Skaar KL, Tsoh JY, Cinciripini PM, Wetter D, Prokhorov AV, & Gritz ER (1996). Current approaches in smoking cessation. Current Opinion in Oncology, 8, 434-440.
- Skaar KL, Tsoh JY, McClure JB, Wetter D, Cinciripini PM, & Gritz ER (1997). Smoking Cessation 1: An overview of research. Behavioral Medicine, 23, 5-12.
- Tsoh JY, McClure JB, Skaar KL, Wetter D, Cinciripini PM, Prokhorov AV, Friedman K & Gritz ER (1997). Smoking Cessation 2: Components of effective interventions. Behavioral Medicine, 23, 15-27.
- McClure JB, Skaar KL, Tsoh JY, Wetter D, Cinciripini PM, & Gritz ER (1997). Smoking Cessation 3: Needed health care policy changes. Behavioral Medicine, 23, 29-34.
- Pallonen UE, Velicer WF, Prochaska JO, Rossi JS, Bellis JM, Tsoh JY, Migneault JP, Smith NF, & Prokhorov AV (1998). Computer-based smoking cessation interventions in adolescents: Description, feasibility, and six-month follow-up findings. Substance Use & Misuse, 33, 935-965.
- Cinciripini PM, Gritz ER, Tsoh JY, & Skaar KL (1998). Smoking cessation and cancer prevention. In J. C. Holland (Ed.), Psycho-oncology (pp. 27-44). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Ruggiero L, Tsoh JY, Everett K, Guise B, & Fava JL (2000). The Transtheoretical Model of Change: Comparison of smoking in pregnant and nonpregnant women. Addictive Behaviors, 25, 239-251.
- Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL, Munoz R, Reus V, Hartz D, & Hall SM (2000). Development of depression following smoking cessation treatment. American Journal of Psychiatry, 157, 368-374.
- Prochaska JO, Velicer WF, Fava JL, Rossi JS & Tsoh JY (2001). A stage-matched expert system intervention for a total population of smokers. Addictive Behaviors, 261, 583-602.
- Hall SM, Delucchi K, Velicer W, Kahler C, Ranger-Moore M, Hedeker D, Tsoh JY, Niaura R (2001). Statistical analysis of randomized trials in smoking treatment. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 3, 193-202.
- Benowitz NL, Jacob P 3rd, Ahijevych K, Jarvis MJ, Hall S, LeHouezec J, Hansson A, Lichtenstein E, Henningfield J, Tsoh J, Hurt RD, Velicer W. (2002) Biochemical Verification of Tobacco Use and Cessation. Nicotine Tobacco Research, 4, 149-159.
- Kohn CS, Tsoh JY & Weisner CM (2003). Smoking Status Among Substance Abusers: Baseline Characteristics and Association with Treatment Outcomes at 12-Months. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 69, 61-71.
- Tsoh JY, Lam JN, Delucchi K, & Hall SM (2003). Smoking and Depression in Chinese Americans. American Journal of Medical Sciences, 326, 187-191.
- Cinciripini PM, Wetter DW, Tomlinson GE, Tsoh JY, De Moor CA, Cinciripini LG, Baile W.S., & Minna JD (2004). The effects of the DRD2 polymorphism on smoking cessation and negative affect: Evidence for a pharmacogenetic effect on mood. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 6, 229-239.
- Tsoh JY & Hall SM (2004). Depression and Smoking cessation: The Transtheoretical Model Perspective. Addictive Behaviors, 29, 801-805.
- Prochaska JJ, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rosen AB, Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL, Eisendrath SJ, Meisner MR & Hall SM (2004). Depressed smokers and stage of change: Implications for treatment interventions. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 76, 143- 151.
- Haug NA, Hall SM, Prochaska JJ, Rosen AB, Tsoh JY, Humfleet GL Delucchi K, Rossi JS, Redding CA, & Eisendrath S (2005) Acceptance of nicotine dependence treatment among currently depressed smokers. Nicotine and Tobacco Research, 7, 217-224.
- Cinciripini PM, Tsoh JY, Wetter DW, Lam C, De Moor C, Cinciripini L, Skaar K, Friedman K, Baile W, Anderson C, & Minna JD (2005). Combined effects of venlafaxine, nicotine replacement and brief counseling on smoking cessation. Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology, 13, 282-92.
- Tran C, Tsoh JY, & Lam, JN (2005). The Relation between cultural factors (stress and coping) and smoking in Chinese and European Americans. Annals of Behavioral Medicine, 27 (Suppl.), S047.
- Schmitt E, Tsoh JY, Dowling G, & Hall SM (2005). Smoking cessation in older clients in a case management program. Journal of Aging and Health, 17, 717-733.
- Hall SM, Tsoh JY, Prochaska J, Eisendrath S, Rossi JS, Redding CA, Rose AB, Meisner M, Humfleet G, & Gorecki J (2006). Treatment for cigarette smoking among depressed mental health outpatients: A randomized clinical trial. American Journal of Public Health, 96, 1808-1814.