Associate Professor, Departments of Surgery and Bioengineering and Therapeutics; Director, Center for Bioengineering and Tissue Regeneration, UCSF
University of Waterloo, Canada, B.Sc., 1985, Chemistry/Biochemistry
University of Ottawa, Canada, B.Sc. Honors, 1986, Biochemistry (Summa Cum Laude)
University of Ottawa, Canada, Ph.D., 1992, Biochemistry
Apoptosis Research Group, NRC, Ottawa, Canada, 1992-1994, Postdoctoral Fellow
Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, Berkeley, CA, 1994-1998, Postdoctoral Fellow
Research Scientist, Life Sciences Division, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory, CA
Assistant Professor, Pathology, UPenn, Philadelphia, PA
Member, Institute for Medicine and Engineering, UPenn, Philadelphia, PA
Associate Professor, Department of Surgery, UCSF, San Francisco, CA
Associate Professor, Department of Anatomy, UCSF, San Francisco, CA
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering, UPenn, Philadelphia, PA
Director, Center for Bioengineering and Tissue Regeneration, Dept of Surgery, UCSF
Associate Professor, Department of Bioengineering and Therapeutics, UCSF
Honors & Awards
University of Ottawa Gold Medal Highest Academic Standing Science
Society of Chemical Industry Prize
Alumni & Faculty Plaque Biochemistry
Mary Eccelstone Research Award Wyeth Canadian Society of Nutrition Sciences
American Institute of Nutrition Research Award Proctor & Gamble Graduate student award
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory Achievement Award
ACS-New Investigator Pilot Project Award, UPenn Cancer Center Grant
DOD Career Development Award
International Society of Differentiation Young Investigator Travel Award
ASCB Co-Chair Mini Symposium ECM & Cancer
AACR Co-Chair Major Symposium Reversibility of Tumors
Co-Organizer HOX and Mammary Gland Workshop
DOD Scholar Award
Chair Engineering Cell Biology Symposium Model Systems for Complex Behaviors
Co-Chair AACR Educational Session Organotypic Cancer Models
Co-organizer, Conference on Engineering and Cell Biology
Co-organizer, TUMIC conference
Chair Symposium on Tumor Microenvironment Symposium speaker, AACR-NCI-EORTC International Conference on Molecular Targets and Cancer Therapeutics: Discovery, Biology, and Clinical Applications,
Co-organizer, 3rd 2009 Engineering Cell Biology Conference
- Chrenek, M, Wong, P, and Weaver, VM. Tumor-stromal interactions - Integrins and cell adhesions as modulators of mammary cell survival and transformation.Breast Cancer Res. 3:224-229, 2001.
- Unger, M, and Weaver, VM. The tissue microenvironment as an epigenetic tumor suppressor. Meth Mol Biol 223:315-347, 2002.
- Weaver, VM, Membrane associated MMP regulators: novel cell adhesion tumor suppressor proteins? Dev. Cell 2:6-7, 2002.
- Weaver, VM, Lelievre, S, Lakins, JN, Chrenek, M, Jones, J, Giancotti, F, Werb, Z, and Bissell, M.J. beta4-integrin-dependent formation of polarized three-dimensional architecture confers resistance to apoptosis in normal and malignant mammary epithelium. Cancer Cell 2:205-216, 2002.
- Bissell, MJ, Rizki, A., Weaver, VM, Petersen, OW. Use of Premalignant Breast Epithelial Cell Lines in Discovery of Factors Functionally Significant in Breast Cancer Progression. JIB-2003.
- Russell, A, Fincher, EF, Millman, L, Smith, R, Vela, V, Weaver, VM and Marinkovich, PM, alpha6/beta4-integrin coordinates EGF-induced chemotaxis in keratinocytes. J. Cell Sci. 116:3543-3556, 2003.
- Zahir, N, and Weaver, VM. Death in the third dimension: apoptosis regulation and tissue architecture. Curr Opin Gene Dev. 14:71-80, 2004.
- Paszek, M, and Weaver VM. The tension mounts: mechanics meets morphogenesis and malignancy. J Mammary Gland Biol Neoplasia. 9:325-42, 2004.
- Weaver, VM, and Gilbert, P, Watch thy neighbor: tumorigenesis is a communal affair. J. Cell Sci. 117:1287-90, 2004.
- Cowden-Dahl, KD, Weaver, VM and Simon, MC. HIF regulates alphavbeta3 integrin cell surface expression. Mol Biol Cell. 16:1901-12, 2005.
- Paszek, MJ*, Zahir, N*, Lakins, JN, Johnson, K, Rozenberg, GI, Gefen, A, Reinhart-King, C, Dembo, M, Margulies, S, Boettiger, D, Hammer, DA and Weaver,VM. Tensional homeostasis and the malignant phenotype. *These authors contributed equally to this work. Cancer Cell. 8:241-54, 2005. 12. Yan, Y, Weaver, VM and Blair, IA. Analysis of Protein Expression During Oxidative Stress in Breast Epithelial Cells Using a Stable Isotope Labeled Proteome Internal Standard. J. Proteome Research 4:7-14, 2005.
- Yang, C, Liu, Y, Leskow, FC, Weaver, VM and Kazanietz, MG. RAC-Gap-dependent inhibition of breast cancer cell proliferation by the diacylglycerol/phorbol ester receptor b2-chimaerin. J Biol Chem. 280:24363-70, 2005.
- Yeung, T, Georges, PC, Flanagan, L, Marg, B, Ortiz, M, Ming, W, Funaki, M, Weaver, VM, Janmey, PA. Effect of substrate stiffness on cell morphology, cytoskeletal structure, and adhesion. Cell Motil Cytoskeleton. 60:24-34, 2005.
- Boudreau, N., and Weaver, VM Forcing the third dimension. Cell. 125:429-31, 2006.
- Underwood, JM, Imbalzano, KM, Weaver, VM., Fischer, AH, Imbalzano, AN, and Nickerson, JA. The ultrastructure of MCF-10A acini. J Cell Physiology, 208:141-148, 2006.
- Friedland. JC, Lakins, JN, Kazanietz, M.G., Chernoff, J., Boettiger, D. and Weaver, V.M. alpha6beta4 integrin activates Rac-dependent p21-activated kinase 1 to drive NFkappaB-dependent apoptosis resistance in 3D mammary acini. J Cell Sci. 120: 3700-12, 2007.
- Hebner, C, Weaver, VM, and Debnath, J, Modeling Morphogensis and Oncogenesis in Three dimensional Breast Epithelial Cultures. Annu. Rev. Pathol. 3: 313-319, 2007.
- Johnson, K, Leight, J, Weaver, VM. Demystifying the Effects of a Three-Dimensional Microenvironment in Tissue Morphogenesis. Methods Cell Biology. 83:547-583, 2007.
- Kang, I, and Weaver VM. Tensional Homeostasis. Encylopedia of Cancer. In press. 2007. 21. Kass, L, Erler, JT, Dembo, M, Weaver, VM, Mammary epithelial cell: Influence of extracellular matrix composition and organization during development and tumorigenesis. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 39:1987-1994, 2007.
- Weaver, V.M., Tsai, K., Methods for predicting and treating drug-, immunotherapy- and/or radiation-resistant tumors. SF2008-034, 2007.
- Weaver, VM and Werb, Z, G'rab'bing the Microenvironment for Invasion. Dev Cell, 13:462-463, 2007.
- Fournier, AK, Campbell, LE, Castagnino, P, Liu, WF, Chung, BM, Weaver, VM, Chen, CS and Assoian, RK, Rac-dependent cyclin D1 gene expression regulated by cadherin and integrin-mediated cell adhesion. J Cell Sci. 121:226-233, 2008.
- Rizki, A, Weaver, VM, Lee, SY, Rozenberg, GI, Chin, K, Myers, CA, Bascom, JL, Mott, JD, Semiks, JR, Grate, LR, Mian, IS, Borowsky, AD, Jensen, RA, Idowu, MO, Chen, F, Chen, DJ, Petersen, OW, Gray, JW, Bissell, MJ. A human breast cell model of preinvasive to invasive transition. Cancer Res. 68:1378-1387, 2008.
- Yee, KL, Weaver, VM, and Hammer, D, Integrin-mediated Signaling through the MAP-kinase Pathway. IET Systems Biology. 2:8-15, 2008.
- Mouw, J, Desai, S, and Weaver VM, Forcing transformation: biophysical regulation of mammary epithelial cell trans-formation, In the Pathomechanics of Tissue Injury and Disease, and the Mechanophysiology of Healing, In Press, 2008
- Erler, J, and Weaver VM Tissue Context and Tumor Metastasis, In a special issue of Clinical and Experimental Metastasis, In Press, 2008.
- Gilbert, P., Unger, M., Lakins, J.N., Gbegnon, M.K., Nuth, M., Clemmer, V., Colligon, T., Naylor, T., Licht, J., Boudreau, N., Weber, B., and Weaver, V.M. Global expression profiling reveals a novel role for HoxA9 in breast cancer and BRCA1 regulation. Under Review, Dev Cell.
- Tsai K.K.C. Chatterjee, C., Werner, M.E., Jonathan N. Lakins, Nuth, M., Tobias, J, Mian, S. and Weaver V.M. The Third Dimension Drives N-CoR2-dependent Death Resistance. Under Review Nature Medicine.