Here is a high fiber, vegan recipe with pine nuts and garbanzo beans as the lead protein sources. Spinach, like other dark, leafy greens, contains a wide range of carotenoids. These may act as antioxidants to protect against cancers of the mouth, pharynx and larynx, and may also inhibit the growth of certain types of breast, skin, lung and stomach cancer cells.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 T. olive oil
- 1 16 oz. bag of frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup raisins
- 2 T pine nuts
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, sauté onion and garlic in oil until the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garbanzo beans, spinach, raisins, pine nuts, nutmeg, salt, and pepper to the onion and garlic mixture.
- Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes until heated through
Yields 4 servings (1¼ cup each)
Nutrition Information per serving: Calories 330; Total Fat 9g; Saturated Fat 1g; Carbohydrate 58g; Fiber 10g; Protein 12g; Sodium 330mg
Recipe adapted from Food for Thought, Healing Foods to Savor by Sheila Kealey, Vicky Newman, and Susan Faerber, 2006