This delicious meatless alternative to bacon is a great addition to any breakfast as it is high in protein and a good source of calcium and iron. It is easy to make with only five simple to follow steps and is sure to keep you full all morning.
- 8 ounce package tempeh
- ¼ cup low sodium tamari or soy sauce
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1.5 teaspoons liquid smoke
- Slice the tempeh into 1/4-inch slices.
- To make the marinade, combine the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, pure maple syrup, cumin and liquid smoke in a medium bowl. Whisk well to combine.
- Place the tempeh strips in a 13 x 9 dish or other large, shallow container, and cover with the marinade. Make sure they are all coated well and allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the marinated tempeh strips onto the baking pan. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for 15 minutes more. Remove and serve.
- Try this in a TALT (tempeh, avocado, lettuce, tomato on whole grain bread) sandwich, as a high protein plant-based salad topping or breakfast option.
Recipe from www.noracooks.com
Nutritional Information per serving: Calories 135; Total Fat 6g; Saturated Fat 1.5g; Carbohydrate 9g; Fiber 2g; Protein 13g; Sodium 580mg (Nutritional information calculated using ¼ cup of low sodium soy sauce)