Research SummaryIvan H. El-Sayed, MD, is Professor of Clinical Otolaryngology and the Director of the Otolaryngology Minimally Invasive Skill Base Surgery program and center in the Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery (OHNS) at the University of California, San Francisco. As of 2015, he has been elected to the North American Skull Base Society Directors Board, and he is recently named the Vice Chair of the American Academy of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery Skull Base Committee. He has also been the Co-Course Director for Stryker-UCSF Resident Skull Base Approaches Course since 2009. Dr. El-Sayed completed his medical degree and internship from Boston University School of Medicine in Massachusetts. He completed his otolaryngology residency from Boston University, followed by a head and neck surgical oncology fellowship from UCSF. He lectures nationally and internationally on various topics related to head and neck oncology.
Dr. El-Sayed’s clinical focus is skull base surgery and he has developed the minimally invasive program into a nationally recognized program along with his neurosurgical colleagues. The program and center offers a unique capability of providing both endoscopic and open approaches to tailor the approach to the lesion. He has a broad surgical experience having performed over 500 surgical procedures on tumors of the nasal cavity/paranasal sinuses, infratemporal fossa, skull base and pituitary glands in over a decade of experience. He is also interested in the outcomes of research and clinical innovations through novel approach development. His research program goal is to develop 1) novel endoscopic surgical approaches and 2) nanotechnologies as multifunctional theranostic devices for the detection, destruction, and monitoring of oral cancer.
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, Sc. B, 1992, Neuroscience
Boston University Medical School, Boston, MA, M.D., 1992-1996, Medicine
Boston University Medical Ctr, Boston, MA, 1996-2001, Otolaryngology-HNS
University of California, San Francisco, Postdoctoral, 2002-2003, Head and Neck Oncology-Fellowship
Honors & Awards
Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
First Place: Ethics of Cochlear Implantation in Young Children, New England Otolaryngology Society
U.S. Patent: Spectroscopic Diagnostics for Bacteria in Biologic Samples. Ivan El-Sayed, MD and Mostafa El-Sayed, PhD
Board Certified by the American Board of Otolaryngology
THANKS Star Award, UCSF Medical Center
"Quality Award" UCSF Medical Center Quality Improvement Office. For: Altered Airway PI Project. Member of the committee which developed this form.
U.S. Patent: GTRC 3424 U.S.S.N. 11/913,915 "Shape Tunable Plasmonic Nanoparticles" Mostafa A. El-Sayed and Ivan Homer El-Sayed (Provisional Patent Filed 2005)
"Hot Paper", American Chemical Society Publications, first author. [As defined by the ACS: "Hot Papers are articles published within the last two years receiving the most citations over the most recent two-month period. In a typical two-month period, Essential Science Indicators recognizes more than 200 total Hot Papers in chemistry.] For Article: Surface Plasmon Resonance Scattering and Absorption of anti-EGFR Antibody Conjugated Gold Nanoparticles in Cancer Diagnostics: Applications in Oral Cancer. Nano Lett. 2005.
Outstanding Productive Physician and Surgeon, Certificate of Accomplishment, Department of Otolaryngology, UCSF
"Most Accessed Article" for the 3rd quarter of 2007, American Chemical Society Publications. For article: "Gold Nanorods for Nuclear Targeting. BioconjugChemistry 2007.
"Most Accessed Article" for first quarter 2008, American Chemical Society Publications: For article: Calculated Absorption and Scattering Properties of Gold Nanoparticles of Different Size, Shape, and Composition: Applications in Biological Imaging and Biomedicine. J. Phys. Chem. B.; (Article); 2006
"Editor Selected Papers in Imaging"- Bioconjugate Chemistry- For Article: Peptide-Conjugated Gold Nanorods for Nuclear Targeting. Bioconjug Chem. 2007 Sep-Oct;18(5):1490-7. Epub 2007 Jul 13.
#1 ranked article in citations in the field of Chemistry for 2007. Described by ScienceWatch. For article: 14. Huang X, El-Sayed IH, Qian W, El-Sayed MA. Cancer Cell Imaging and Photothermal Therapy in the Near-Infrared Region by Using Gold Nanorods. J Am Chem Soc. 2006 Feb 15;128(6):2115-2120.
"Hot Paper", American Chemical Society Publications. For article: Cancer cell imaging and photothermal therapy in the near-infrared region by using gold nanorods, J Am Chem Soc 2006.
"Most Cited Author"- First author- recognized as one of the top 20 cited papers in Cancer Letters toward the calculation of the 2007 impact factor. Cancer Letters. 2006 Jul 28;239(1):129-35.
- Bleier B, Workman A, Burks C, Maxfield A, Stack BC, Nathan CA, McCammon S, Varvares M, Schmalbach C, Wang S, Califano J, Shnayder Y, Gillespie MB, Enepekides D, Witterick I, El-Sayed I, Lin D, Patel U, Kraus D, Randolph G AHNS endocrine surgery section consensus statement on nasopharyngolaryngoscopy and clinic reopening during COVID-19: How to get back to optimal safe care. View on PubMed
- Wai KC, Xu MJ, Lee RH, El-Sayed IH, George JR, Heaton CM, Knott PD, Park AM, Ryan WR, Seth R, Ha PK Head and neck surgery during the coronavirus-19 pandemic: The University of California San Francisco experience. View on PubMed
- Pereira MP, Oh T, Joshi RS, Haddad AF, Pereira KM, Osorio RC, Donohue KC, Peeran Z, Sudhir S, Jain S, Beniwal A, Gurrola J, El-Sayed IH, Blevins LS, Theodosopoulos PV, Kunwar S, Aghi MK Clinical characteristics and outcomes in elderly patients undergoing transsphenoidal surgery for nonfunctioning pituitary adenoma. View on PubMed
- Li X, Orscelik A, Vigo V, Kola O, El-Sayed IH, Abla AA, Rubio RR Microsurgical Techniques for Exposing the Internal Maxillary Artery in Cerebral Revascularization Surgery: A Comparative Cadaver Study. View on PubMed
- Zhu H, Vigo V, Ahluwalia A, Chae R, El-Sayed I, Abla AA, Rubio RR Comparative Analysis of Pterional, Supraorbital, Extended Supraorbital, and Transtubercular-Transplanum Approaches for Exposing the Anterior Communicating Artery Complex: A Cadaveric Study. View on PubMed
- Strohl MP, Choy W, Clark AJ, Mummaneni PV, Dhall SS, Tay BK, Loftus PA, El-Sayed IH, Russell MS Immediate Voice and Swallowing Complaints Following Revision Anterior Cervical Spine Surgery. View on PubMed
- Haddad AF, Young JS, Oh T, Pereira MP, Joshi RS, Pereira KM, Osorio RC, Donohue KC, Peeran Z, Sudhir S, Jain S, Beniwal A, Chopra AS, Sandhu NS, Theodosopoulos PV, Kunwar S, El-Sayed IH, Gurrola J, Blevins LS, Aghi MK Clinical characteristics and outcomes of null-cell versus silent gonadotroph adenomas in a series of 1166 pituitary adenomas from a single institution. View on PubMed
- David AP, Jiam NT, Reither JM, Gurrola JG, Aghi MK, El-Sayed IH Endoscopic skull base and transoral surgery during COVID-19 pandemic: Minimizing droplet spread with negative-pressure otolaryngology viral isolation drape. View on PubMed
- Ochoa E, Larson AR, Han M, Webb KL, Stanford-Moore GB, El-Sayed IH, George JR, Ha PK, Heaton CM, Ryan WR Patient-Reported Quality of Life After Resection With Primary Closure for Oral Tongue Carcinoma. View on PubMed
- Park JS, El-Sayed IH, Young VN, Pletcher SD Development of clinical care guidelines for faculty and residents in the era of COVID-19. View on PubMed
- David AP, Russell MD, El-Sayed IH, Russell MS Tracheostomy guidelines developed at a large academic medical center during the COVID-19 pandemic. View on PubMed
- Almutuawa DM, Strohl MP, Gruss C, van Zante A, Yom SS, McDermott MW, El-Sayed IH Outcomes of sinonasal mucosal melanomas with endoscopic and open resection: a retrospective cohort study. View on PubMed
- Chae R, Sharon JD, Kournoutas I, Ovunc SS, Wang M, Abla AA, El-Sayed IH, Rubio RR Replicating Skull Base Anatomy With 3D Technologies: A Comparative Study Using 3D-scanned and 3D-printed Models of the Temporal Bone. View on PubMed
- Rubio RR, Bonaventura RD, Kournoutas I, Barakat D, Vigo V, El-Sayed I, Abla AA Stereoscopy in Surgical Neuroanatomy: Past, Present, and Future. View on PubMed
- Formeister EJ, Baum R, Knott PD, Seth R, Ha P, Ryan W, El-Sayed I, George J, Larson A, Plonowska K, Heaton C Machine Learning for Predicting Complications in Head and Neck Microvascular Free Tissue Transfer. View on PubMed
- Wang M, Chae R, Shehata J, Vigo V, Raygor KP, Tomasi SO, McDermott MW, Abla AA, El-Sayed IH, Rodriguez Rubio R Comparative analysis of surgical exposure and freedom between the subtonsillar, endoscope-assisted subtonsillar, and far-lateral approaches to the lower clivus: A cadaveric study. View on PubMed
- El-Sayed IH Nasal septal flap repair of the skull base. View on PubMed
- Strohl MP, El-Sayed IH Contemporary Management of Parapharyngeal Tumors. View on PubMed
- Safaee M, Young JS, El-Sayed IH, Theodosopoulos PV Management of Noncatastrophic Internal Carotid Artery Injury in Endoscopic Skull Base Surgery. View on PubMed
- Larson AR, Kemmer J, Formeister E, El-Sayed I, Ha P, George J, Ryan W, Chan E, Heaton C Beyond Depth of Invasion: Adverse Pathologic Tumor Features in Early Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma. View on PubMed