D. Montgomery Bissell, MD
Professor, Department of Medicine, UCSF
Cancer Center Program MembershipsAffiliate Member
Harvard College, Cambridge, MA, A.B., 1962, English
Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, M.D., 1967, Medicine
Harvard Medical Service, Boston City Hospital, Residency training, 1967-70, Int. Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Research training, 1970-73, Liver Biology
Assistant Professor of Medicine, UCSF
Director, Liver Center Laboratory, San Francisco General Hospital
Associate Professor of Medicine, UCSF
Professor of Medicine, UCSF
Attending Physician. UCSF and San Francisco General Hospital
Director, Division of Gastroenterology, UCSF
Director, UCSF Liver Center
Honors & Awards
Election to the American Society for Clinical Investigation
Election to the Intl. Assn. for the Study of Liver Diseases
Election to the Association of American Physicians
Council, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
President, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
NIDDK Advisory Council
Principal investigator, Merit award R37DK31192
Distinguished achievement award, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
- (selected from over 100)
- Pitas RE, Boyles J, Mahley RW, Bissell DM. Uptake of chemically modified low density lipoproteins in vivo is mediated by specific endothelial cells. J Cell Biol 100~103-117, 1985.
- Friedman SL, Roll FJ, Boyles J, Bissell DM. Hepatic lipocytes: The principal collagen-producing cells of normal rat liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82:8681-8685, 1985.
- Bissell DM. Stamatoglou SC, Nermut MV, Hughes RC. Interactions of rat hepatocytes with type IV collagen, fibronectin and laminin matrices. Distinct matrix-controlled modes of attachment and spreading. Eur J Cell Biol 40,72-78, 1986.
- Bissell DM, Arenson DM, Maher JJ, Roll FJ. Support of cultured hepatocytes by a laminin-rich gel. Evidence for a functionally significant subendothelial matrix in normal rat liver. J Clin Invest 79: 801-812, 1987.
- Maher JJ, Friedman SL, Roll FJ, Bissell DM. Immunolocalization of laminin in normal rat liver and biosynthesis of laminin by hepatic lipocytes in primary culture. Gastroenterology 94: 1053-1062, 1988.
- Maher JJ, Bissell DM, Friedman SL. Roll FJ. Collagen measured in primary cultures of normal rat hepatocytes derived from lipocytes within the monolayer. J Clin Invest 82:450-59, 1988.
- Friedman SL, Roll FJ, Boyles J, Arenson DM, Bissell DM. Maintenance of differentiated phenotype of cultured rat hepatic lipocytes by basement membrane matrix. J Biol Chem 264:10756-B2, 1989.
- Arthur MJP, Friedman SL. Roll FJ, Bissell DM. Lipocytes from normal rat liver release a neutral metalloproteinase that degrades basement membrane (type IV) collagen. J Clin Invest 84: 1076-85, 1989.
- Bissell DM, Caron JM, Babiss, LE, Friedman JM. Transcriptional regulation of the albumin gene in cultured rat hepatocytes: role of basement membrane matrix. Mol Biol Med 7:187-197, 1990.
- Hultcrantz RH, Bissell DM, Roll, FJ. Iron mediates production of a neutrophil chemoattractant by rat hepatocytes metabolizing ethanol. J Clin Invest 87:45-49, 1992
- McGuire RF, Bissell DM, Boyles J, Roll FJ. Role of extracellular matrix in regulating fenestrations of sinusoidal endothelial cells isolated from normal rat liver. Hepatology 15:989-997, 1992.
- Jarnagin WR, Debs RJ, Wang S-S, Bissell DM. Cationic lipid-mediated transfection of liver cells in primary culture. Nucl Acid Res 20;4205-4211, 1992.
- Maher JJ, Bissell DM. Cell-matrix interactions in liver. Seminars in Cell Biology 4:189-201, 1993.
- Housset C, Rockey DC, Bissell DM. Endothelin receptors in rat liver: lipocytes as a contractile target for endothelin-1. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 90:9266-9270, 1993.
- Jarnagin WR, Rockey DC, Koteliansky VE, Bissell DM. Expression of variant fibronectin in wound-healing: cellular source and biological activity of the EIIIA segment in rat hepatic fibrogenesis. J Cell Biol 127:2037-2048, 1994.
- Bissell DM, Wang SS, Jarnagin WR, Roll FJ. Cell-specific expression of TGF in rat liver regeneration, autocrine regulation of hepatocyte proliferation by TGF-2. J Clin Invest 96:447-455, 1995.
- Racine-Samson L, Rockey DC, Bissell DM. The role of 11 integrin in wound contraction. A quantitative analysis of liver myofibroblasts in vivo and in primary culture. J Biol Chem 1997;272:30911-17.
- Wang Y-J, Wang S-S, Bickel M, Guenzler V, Gerl M, Bissell DM. Two novel antifibrotics, HOE 077 and Safironil, modulate stellate cell activation in rat liver injury. Differential effects in males and females. Amer J Pathol 1998;152:279-287.
- McDonagh AF, Bissell DM. Porphyria and porphyrinology - the past fifteen years. Semin Liver Dis 1998;18:3-15.
- George J, Roulot D, Koteliansky VE, Bissell DM. In vivo inhibition of rat stellate cell activation by soluble TGF type II receptor: a potential new therapy for hepatic fibrosis. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1999;96:12719-24.
- Bissell DM, Roulot D, George J. Transforming growth factor and the liver. Hepatology 2001;34:859-867.
- Alonso CR, George J, Pesce CG, Bissell DM, Kornblihtt AR. Fibronectin transcription in liver cells: promoter occupation and function in sinusoidal endothelial cells and hepatocytes. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2002;295:1077-84.
- Bissell, DM. Assessing fibrosis without a liver biopsy: are we there yet? Gastroenterology 2004; in press.
- Chang ML, Chen JC, Alonso CR, Kornblihtt AR, Bissell DM. Regulation of fibronectin splicing in sinusoidal endothelial cells from normal or injured liver. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 2004; in press.
- Kikuchi S, Griffin CT, Wang SS, Bissell DM. Role of cd44 in epithelial wound repair: migration of rat hepatic stellate cells utilizes hyaluronic acid and cd44v6. J Biol Chem 2005;280:15398-404.
- Jakubowski A, Ambrose C, Parr M, Lincecum JM, Wang MZ, Zheng TS, Browning B, Michaelson JS, Baestcher M, Wang B, Bissell DM, Burkly LC. Tweak induces liver progenitor cell proliferation. J Clin Invest 2005;115:2330-40.