Research SummaryLori M. Strachowski, MD, is a Clinical Professor in the Department of Radiology and Biomedical Imaging and she is a Clinical Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences at the University of California, San Francisco. Dr, Strachowski obtained her medical degree from Rush Medical School and did her residency in Diagnostic Radiology at Stanford University in Palo Alto, California. She completed a fellowship in Diagnostic Ultrasound at the University of California San Francisco.
Dr. Strachowski’s areas of expertise are ultrasound and breast imaging. She was Chief of Ultrasound at ZSFG for over 18 years, retiring from the role in 2017. Dr. Strachowski has a hands-on philosophy in Ultrasound, frequently scanning patients herself, and she fervently promotes the same by the residents and fellows in-training. Over the years, she has strongly promoted the radiologists' expertise in obstetrical ultrasound by upholding the highest clinical standards, emphasizing compassionate and timely patient care, and providing enthusiastic teaching.
She is a strong advocate for excellence in the care of underserved high-risk obstetrical patients, performing exams targeted at the identification of complex fetal anomalies and complications of pregnancy. In an effort provide state of the art services to patients, Dr. Strachowski helped to institute a Nuchal Translucency Screening Program to allow 1st trimester genetics screening and assist in prenatal management at ZSFG.
Dr. Strachowski was co-founder of the Avon Comprehensive Breast Care Center at San Francisco General Hospital where she servied as Medical Director for 10 years, promoting a variety of high-quality comprehensive services for women. These include genetic counseling and testing, educational, outreach and support programs and bilingual patient "navigators" assuring every woman is supported and empowered despite perceived cultural and linguistic differences. In 2006, Dr. Strachowski assisted in bringing the Mobile Mammography Van program to serve the Community Health Network of San Francisco, addressing barriers to access and screening. In addition, in 2010, she instituted a Breast MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) and MRI guided breast biopsy program to complete the spectrum of comprehensive breast imaging services available at ZSFG.
Dr. Strachowski is a highly regarded teacher. She is a 2009 recipient of the Excellence in Teaching Award from UCSF’s Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators. In 2012, UCSF Diagnostic Radiology residents selected her as the 2012 Hideyo Minagi Outstanding Teacher awardee. Dr. Strachowski was named the SFGH Consultant of the Year by the graduating resident class of 2014 from UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences. Dr. Strachowski lectures locally, nationally and internationally and is known for her enthusiastic teaching style, diagnostic pearls and illustrative presentations.
Dr. Strachowski has served on numerous ZSFG and UCSF committees, and is an active member of the Society of Radiologists in Ultrasound and American College of Radiology. In addition, she serves as a volunteer consultant and educator for the PanAm WHO sharing her expertise with health care providers in Trinidad and Tobago and has provided assistance in breast ultrasound and US guided procedures in Haiti.
Clinical Fellowship, 1998 - Radiology, University of California, San Francisco
Residency, 1997 - Radiology, Stanford Hospital
MD, 1990 - Medicine, Rush Medical College
Honors & Awards
- American Osteopathic College of Radiology (AOCR) Honorary Fellowship, American Osteopathic College of Radiology, 2020
- Outstanding Women's Health Consultant of the Year, UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, 2020
- Anna S. Lev-Toaff Award, Society of Radiology in Ultrasound, 2019
- Outstanding Women's Health Consultant of the Year, UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, 2018
- Outstanding Women's Health Consultant of the Year, UCSF Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences, 2014
- Hideyo Minagi Teacher of the Year Award, University of California, San Francisco Department of Radiology, 2012
- Excellence in Teaching Award, Haile T. Debas Academy of Medical Educators, University of California, San Francisco School of Medicine, 2009
- Visiting Clinical Faculty Teaching Award, Stanford Hospital Department of Radiology, 1998
- Expert Panel on GYN and OB Imaging, Sussman BL, Chopra P, Poder L, Bulas DI, Burger I, Feldstein VA, Laifer-Narin SL, Oliver ER, Strachowski LM, Wang EY, Winter T, Zelop CM, Glanc P. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Second and Third Trimester Screening for Fetal Anomaly. J Am Coll Radiol. 2021 May; 18(5S):S189-S198. View on PubMed
- Strachowski LM, Choi HH, Shum DJ, Horrow MM. Pearls and Pitfalls in Imaging of Pelvic Adnexal Torsion: Seven Tips to Tell It's Twisted. Radiographics. 2021 May-Jun; 41(3):E97. View on PubMed
- Strachowski LM, Jha P, Chawla TP, Davis KM, Dove CK, Glanc P, Morgan TA, Andreotti RF. O-RADS for Ultrasound: A User's Guide, From the AJR Special Series on Radiology Reporting and Data Systems. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2021 05; 216(5):1150-1165. View on PubMed
- Expert Panel on GYN and OB Imaging, Simpson L, Maturen KE, Feldstein VA, Oliver ER, Poder L, Strachowski LM, Sussman BL, Weber TM, Winter T, Zelop CM, Glanc P. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Nuchal Translucency Evaluation at 11 to 14 Weeks of Gestation. J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 Nov; 17(11S):S447-S458. View on PubMed
- Expert Panel on GYN and OB Imaging, Shipp TD, Poder L, Feldstein VA, Oliver ER, Promes SB, Strachowski LM, Sussman BL, Wang EY, Weber TM, Winter T, Glanc P. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Second and Third Trimester Vaginal Bleeding. J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 Nov; 17(11S):S497-S504. View on PubMed
- Choi HH, Taliaferro AS, Strachowski LM, Jha P. How common are traumatic injuries to the epididymis? A study of prevalence, imaging appearance, and management implications. Emerg Radiol. 2021 Feb; 28(1):31-36. View on PubMed
- Vyas S, Greenwood HI, Jankowski T, Freimanis RI, Kallianos KG, Henry TS, Strachowski LM. A case of acute onset gigantomastia in a 20-year-old woman. Clin Imaging. 2020 Dec; 68:57-60. View on PubMed
- Expert Panel on Gyn and OB Imaging, Oliver ER, Maturen KE, Feldstein VA, Poder L, Shipp TD, Simpson L, Strachowski LM, Sussman BL, Weber TM, Winter T, Glanc P. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Assessment of Gravid Cervix. J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 May; 17(5S):S26-S35. View on PubMed
- Expert Panel on Women’s Imaging, Poder L, Weinstein S, Maturen KE, Feldstein VA, Mackenzie DC, Oliver ER, Shipp TD, Strachowski LM, Sussman BL, Wang EY, Weber TM, Whitcomb BP, Glanc P. ACR Appropriateness Criteria® Placenta Accreta Spectrum Disorder. J Am Coll Radiol. 2020 May; 17(5S):S207-S214. View on PubMed
- Olpin JD, Strachowski L. Imaging of Acute Pelvic Pain: Nonpregnant. Radiol Clin North Am. 2020 Mar; 58(2):329-345. View on PubMed
- Linden O, Kelil T, Greenwood H, Lauw M, Strachowski L. Capsular synovial metaplasia mimicking radiographic features of implant-associated anaplastic lymphoma. Clin Imaging. 2020 Feb; 59(2):144-147. View on PubMed
- Andreotti RF, Timmerman D, Strachowski LM, Froyman W, Benacerraf BR, Bennett GL, Bourne T, Brown DL, Coleman BG, Frates MC, Goldstein SR, Hamper UM, Horrow MM, Hernanz-Schulman M, Reinhold C, Rose SL, Whitcomb BP, Wolfman WL, Glanc P. O-RADS US Risk Stratification and Management System: A Consensus Guideline from the ACR Ovarian-Adnexal Reporting and Data System Committee. Radiology. 2020 01; 294(1):168-185. View on PubMed
- Andreotti RF, Timmerman D, Benacerraf BR, Bennett GL, Bourne T, Brown DL, Coleman BG, Frates MC, Froyman W, Goldstein SR, Hamper UM, Horrow MM, Hernanz-Schulman M, Reinhold C, Strachowski LM, Glanc P. Ovarian-Adnexal Reporting Lexicon for Ultrasound: A White Paper of the ACR Ovarian-Adnexal Reporting and Data System Committee. J Am Coll Radiol. 2018 Oct; 15(10):1415-1429. View on PubMed
- Greenwood HI, Lee AY, Lobach IV, Carpentier BM, Freimanis RI, Strachowski LM. Clustered Microcysts on Breast Ultrasound: What Is an Appropriate Management Recommendation? AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017 Dec; 209(6):W395-W399. View on PubMed
- Carpentier B, Hayward J, Strachowski L. Enhancing Your Acoustics: Ultrasound Image Optimization of Breast Lesions. J Ultrasound Med. 2017 Jul; 36(7):1479-1485. View on PubMed
- Jelin AC, Glenn OA, Strachowski L, Vargas JE. Membranous aplasia cutis congenita: a recognizable lesion on prenatal sonography. J Ultrasound Med. 2009 Oct; 28(10):1393-6. View on PubMed
- Klatsky PC, Tran ND, Strachowski L. A pregnancy complicated by endometrial scarring. Fertil Steril. 2009 Jun; 91(6):2707-8. View on PubMed
- Lee R, Beattie M, Crawford B, Mak J, Stewart N, Komaromy M, Esserman L, Shaw L, McLennan J, Strachowski L, Luce J, Ziegler J. Recruitment, genetic counseling, and BRCA testing for underserved women at a public hospital. Genet Test. 2005; 9(4):306-12. View on PubMed