Research SummaryDr. Cheryl Ewing is Associate Professor of Surgery at UCSF Mount Zion Hospital. Her focus is in breast cancer surgery and sentinel lymph node dissection. Her other interests include quality of care and evaluation of barriers to medical and breast care for minority women.
Dr. Ewing completed her undergraduate education at the University of Michigan, and received her medical degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine. She then went on to complete her residency at University of Michigan Medical School, and then her fellowship at the University of Chicago. She joined the faculty at UCSF in 2001.
Dr. Ewing has lectured extensively at many local, national, and international events. She has been very active in mentoring residents and fellows, serving four years as the Mount Zion Site Director for the Surgery 110 Rotations and teaching several CME courses and Grand Rounds.
Dr. Ewing is involved in several studies involving quality of care among breast cancer survivors. Specifically, these involve post-surgery symptom management, and customizing risk assessment and tailoring treatment to the individual patient's medical profile and preferences. Her primary focus in on how being a breast cancer survivor affects the quality of life in different race/ethnic groups, and how that relationship is modified by social support, depression, and spirituality.
Dr. Ewing is a member of most of the major surgical societies, and has been the recipient of several awards, including the Susan G. Komen Local Hero Award.
University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, BS 1974, Zoology
Wayne State University, MD, 1983, Medicine
St. Joseph Mercy Hospital, University of Michigan, Resident, 1983-1988, Surgery
University of Chicago, Fellow, 1988-1991, Surgical Oncology
Honors & Awards
- American Association of Cancer Research Travel Award
- Women in Medicine Profession Development Travel Award
Young Surgical Investigator Travel Award - American College of Surgeons
- September 2000
Teaching Award - instruction in Family Practice Resident Lafamilia Clinic/University of New Mexico.
- Son JD, Piper M, Hewitt K, Alvarado M, Esserman LJ, Ewing C, Wong JM, Mukhtar RA Oncological Outcomes of Total Skin-Sparing Mastectomy for Invasive Lobular Carcinoma of the Breast: A 20-Year Institutional Experience. View on PubMed
- Abel MK, Fahrner-Scott K, Wong J, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman LJ, Park C, Mukhtar RA Evaluating the impact of axillary dissection on recurrence-free survival by extent of nodal disease in invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast. View on PubMed
- Abel MK, Brabham CE, Guo R, Fahrner-Scott K, Wong J, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman LJ, Mukhtar RA Breast conservation therapy versus mastectomy in the surgical management of invasive lobular carcinoma measuring 4 cm or greater. View on PubMed
- Mukhtar RA, Krings G, Chen YY, Mamounas ME, Fahrner-Scott K, Wong J, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman LJ, Rugo H Mitotic score and pleomorphic histology in invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast: impact on disease-free survival. View on PubMed
- Piper ML, Wong J, Fahrner-Scott K, Ewing C, Alvarado M, Esserman LJ, Mukhtar RA Success rates of re-excision after positive margins for invasive lobular carcinoma of the breast. View on PubMed
- Magbanua MJM, Yau C, Wolf DM, Lee JS, Chattopadhyay A, Scott JH, Bowlby-Yoder E, Hwang ES, Alvarado M, Ewing CA, Delson AL, Van't Veer LJ, Esserman L, Park JW Synchronous Detection of Circulating Tumor Cells in Blood and Disseminated Tumor Cells in Bone Marrow Predicts Adverse Outcome in Early Breast Cancer. View on PubMed
- Boughey JC, Alvarado MD, Lancaster RB, Symmans WF, Mukhtar R, Wong JM, Ewing CA, Potter DA, Tuttle TM, Hieken TJ, Carter JM, Jakub JW, Kaplan HG, Buchanan CL, Jaskowiak NT, Sattar HA, Mueller J, Nanda R, Isaacs CJ, Pohlmann PR, Lynce F, Tousimis EA, Zeck JC, Lee MC, Lang JE, Mhawech-Fauceglia P, Rao R, Taback B, Goodellas C, Chen M, Kalinsky KM, Hibshoosh H, Killelea B, Sanft T, Hirst GL, Asare S, Matthews JB, Perlmutter J, Esserman LJ Erratum: Author Correction: Surgical Standards for Management of the Axilla in Breast Cancer Clinical Trials with Pathological Complete Response Endpoint. View on PubMed
- Boughey JC, Alvarado MD, Lancaster RB, Fraser Symmans W, Mukhtar R, Wong JM, Ewing CA, Potter DA, Tuttle TM, Hieken TJ, Carter JM, Jakub JW, Kaplan HG, Buchanan CL, Jaskowiak NT, Sattar HA, Mueller J, Nanda R, Isaacs CJ, Pohlmann PR, Lynce F, Tousimis EA, Zeck JC, Lee MC, Lang JE, Mhawech-Fauceglia P, Rao R, Taback B, Chen M, Kalinsky KM, Hibshoosh H, Killelea B, Sanft T, Hirst GL, Asare S, Matthews JB, Perlmutter J, Esserman LJ Surgical Standards for Management of the Axilla in Breast Cancer Clinical Trials with Pathological Complete Response Endpoint. View on PubMed
- Mukhtar RA, Wong J, Piper M, Zhu Z, Fahrner-Scott K, Mamounas M, Sbitany H, Alvarado M, Foster R, Ewing C, Esserman L Breast Conservation and Negative Margins in Invasive Lobular Carcinoma: The Impact of Oncoplastic Surgery and Shave Margins in 358 Patients. View on PubMed
- Peled AW, Sears M, Wang F, Foster RD, Alvarado M, Wong J, Ewing CA, Sbitany H, Esserman LJ, Fowble B Complications After Total Skin-Sparing Mastectomy and Expander-Implant Reconstruction: Effects of Radiation Therapy on the Stages of Reconstruction. View on PubMed
- Fowble B, Jairam AK, Wang F, Peled A, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman L, Park C, Lazar A Indications for Postmastectomy Radiation After Neoadjuvant Chemotherapy in ypN0 and ypN1-3 Axillary Node-Positive Women. View on PubMed
- Rugo HS, Olopade OI, DeMichele A, Yau C, van 't Veer LJ, Buxton MB, Hogarth M, Hylton NM, Paoloni M, Perlmutter J, Symmans WF, Yee D, Chien AJ, Wallace AM, Kaplan HG, Boughey JC, Haddad TC, Albain KS, Liu MC, Isaacs C, Khan QJ, Lang JE, Viscusi RK, Pusztai L, Moulder SL, Chui SY, Kemmer KA, Elias AD, Edmiston KK, Euhus DM, Haley BB, Nanda R, Northfelt DW, Tripathy D, Wood WC, Ewing C, Schwab R, Lyandres J, Davis SE, Hirst GL, Sanil A, Berry DA, Esserman LJ Adaptive Randomization of Veliparib-Carboplatin Treatment in Breast Cancer. View on PubMed
- Wang F, Peled AW, Chin R, Fowble B, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman L, Foster R, Sbitany H The Impact of Radiation Therapy, Lymph Node Dissection, and Hormonal Therapy on Outcomes of Tissue Expander-Implant Exchange in Prosthetic Breast Reconstruction. View on PubMed
- Sbitany H, Wang F, Peled AW, Alvarado M, Ewing CA, Esserman LJ, Foster RD Tissue Expander Reconstruction After Total Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: Defining the Effects of Coverage Technique on Nipple/Areola Preservation. View on PubMed
- Johnson J, Esserman L, Ewing C, Alvarado M, Park C, Fowble B Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in Post-Mastectomy Chest Wall Recurrences: Influence on Radiation Treatment Fields and Outcome. View on PubMed
- Wang F, Amara D, Peled AW, Sbitany H, Foster RD, Ewing CA, Alvarado M, Esserman LJ Negative Genetic Testing Does Not Deter Contralateral Prophylactic Mastectomy in Younger Patients with Greater Family Histories of Breast Cancer. View on PubMed
- Peled AW, Wang F, Foster RD, Alvarado M, Ewing CA, Sbitany H, Esserman LJ Expanding the Indications for Total Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: Is It Safe for Patients with Locally Advanced Disease? View on PubMed
- Amara D, Peled AW, Wang F, Ewing CA, Alvarado M, Esserman LJ Tumor Involvement of the Nipple in Total Skin-Sparing Mastectomy: Strategies for Management. View on PubMed
- Fowble B, Park C, Wang F, Peled A, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman L, Foster R, Sbitany H, Hanlon A Rates of Reconstruction Failure in Patients Undergoing Immediate Reconstruction With Tissue Expanders and/or Implants and Postmastectomy Radiation Therapy. View on PubMed
- Wang F, Alvarado M, Ewing C, Esserman L, Foster R, Sbitany H The impact of breast mass on outcomes of total skin-sparing mastectomy and immediate tissue expander-based breast reconstruction. View on PubMed