Research SummaryI have over 25 years of research experience conducting studies in health disparities among underserved US minority populations, with a particular emphasis on Latino health. Born and initially educated in Argentina, I obtained advanced degrees in the US in public health. I am currently a professor in the Department of Medicine at UCSF, Director of the Medical Effectiveness Research Center, and a co-director of the Investigator Core of the Center for Aging in Diverse Communities.
From the beginning of my research career, I have focused my efforts on examining health disparities across the cancer-care continuum. I have examined cancer prevention among adolescents; conducted studies in cervical, breast and colorectal cancer screening and follow-up of abnormalities; studied treatment decision making after cancer diagnosis among Latina women; and looked at recruitment barriers, facilitators, and strategies for improving minority participation in cancer-related research.
My research has included epidemiological studies and assessing barriers to and facilitators of health behaviors, as well as the development, implementation, and evaluation of health interventions to improve health outcomes. Participants in my studies have different language preferences and are of diverse ethnic backgrounds, age groups, levels of education, occupations, and socioeconomic and health statuses. I have used a variety of venues and methods for recruiting minorities and people of lower socioeconomic status, including clinic panels, population registries, random-digit dialing, and direct contact.
I have a long history of utilizing qualitative and quantitative research methods with health care organization representatives, health providers and patients. My research has been funded by federal and state agencies and private foundations, and my publications represent diverse areas of research.
- April 12, 2016 - March 31, 2021 - Comparison of 3 Modes of Genetic Counseling in High-Risk Public Hospital Patients, Co-Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NCI, Sponsor Award ID: R01CA197784
- September 20, 2002 - August 31, 2014 - Tobacco Control Research and Training in South America, Co-Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NIDA, Sponsor Award ID: R01DA024877
- September 27, 2006 - August 31, 2010 - CIS-Initiated Calls: Can We Enhance Information Services for Latino Patients?, Principal Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NCI, Sponsor Award ID: R21CA126390
- September 30, 1997 - September 29, 2002 - Center for Aging in Diverse Communities: Ending Health Inequities in Older Adults, Co-Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NIA, Sponsor Award ID: P30AG015272
University of Buenos Aires-Argentina, B.A., 1979, Sociology
University of California, Los Angeles, M.P.H., 1982, Public Health
University of California, Los Angeles, M.A., 1983, Latin Am. Studies
University of California, Los Angeles, Dr.P.H., 1990, Public Health
- Garcia ME, Hinton L, Gregorich SE, Livaudais-Toman J, Kaplan CP, Feldman M, Karliner L Primary Care Physician Recognition and Documentation of Depressive Symptoms Among Chinese and Latinx Patients During Routine Visits: A Cross-Sectional Study. View on PubMed
- Hala Borno, Sylvia Zhang, Scarlett Lin Gomez, Celia Kaplan, Christine Miaskowski, Julian Hong, Dame Idossa, Adina Bailey, Eric Jay Small Assessing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on patients with genitourinary malignancies. View on PubMed
- Lee CI, Zhu W, Onega T, Henderson LM, Kerlikowske K, Sprague BL, Rauscher GH, O'Meara ES, Tosteson ANA, Haas JS, diFlorio-Alexander R, Kaplan C, Miglioretti DL Comparative Access to and Use of Digital Breast Tomosynthesis Screening by Women's Race/Ethnicity and Socioeconomic Status. View on PubMed
- Gould MK, Altman DE, Creekmur B, Qi L, de Bie E, Golden S, Kaplan CP, Kelly K, Miglioretti DL, Mularski RA, Musigdilok VV, Smith-Bindman R, Steltz JP, Wiener RS, Aberle DR, Dyer DS, Vachani A Guidelines for the Evaluation of Pulmonary Nodules Detected Incidentally or by Screening: A Survey of Radiologist Awareness, Agreement, and Adherence From the Watch the Spot Trial. View on PubMed
- Roter DL, Gregorich SE, Diamond L, Livaudais-Toman J, Kaplan C, Pathak S, Karliner L Loss of patient centeredness in interpreter-mediated primary care visits. View on PubMed
- Palmer NR, Shim JK, Kaplan CP, Schillinger D, Blaschko SD, Breyer BN, Pasick RJ Ethnographic investigation of patient-provider communication among African American men newly diagnosed with prostate cancer: a study protocol. View on PubMed
- Nouri SS, Pathak S, Livaudais-Toman J, Gregorich SE, Kaplan CP, Diamond L, Karliner L Use and Usefulness of After-Visit Summaries by Language and Health Literacy among Latinx and Chinese Primary Care Patients. View on PubMed
- Wong EC, Kaplan CP, Barulich M, Melisko M Assessing preferences for receiving supportive care resources among patients seen at a Breast Care Center. View on PubMed
- Kenny JD, Karliner LS, Kerlikowske K, Kaplan CP, Fernandez-Lamothe A, Burke NJ Organization Communication Factors and Abnormal Mammogram Follow-up: a Qualitative Study Among Ethnically Diverse Women Across Three Healthcare Systems. View on PubMed
- Alderete E, Livaudais-Toman J, Kaplan C, Gregorich SE, Mejía R, Pérez-Stable EJ Youth working in tobacco farming: effects on smoking behavior and association with health status. View on PubMed
- Schifferdecker KE, Tosteson ANA, Kaplan C, Kerlikowske K, Buist DSM, Henderson LM, Johnson D, Jaworski J, Jackson-Nefertiti G, Ehrlich K, Marsh MW, Vu L, Onega T, Wernli KJ Knowledge and Perception of Breast Density, Screening Mammography, and Supplemental Screening: in Search of "Informed". View on PubMed
- Borno HT, Bakke BM, Kaplan C, Hebig-Prophet A, Chao J, Kim YJ, Yeager J, Cinar P, Small E, Boscardin C, Gonzales R A step towards equitable clinical trial recruitment: a protocol for the development and preliminary testing of an online prostate cancer health information and clinical trial matching tool. View on PubMed
- Garcia ME, Hinton L, Gregorich SE, Livaudais-Toman J, Kaplan C, Karliner L Unmet Mental Health Need Among Chinese and Latino Primary Care Patients: Intersection of Ethnicity, Gender, and English Proficiency. View on PubMed
- Borno HT, Small EJ, Zhang L, DeRouen MC, Griffin A, McGuire J, Ryan CJ, Hiatt RA, Kaplan CP How current reporting practices may mask differences: A call for examining cancer-specific demographic enrollment patterns in cancer treatment clinical trials. View on PubMed
- Pathak S, Summerville G, Kaplan CP, Nouri SS, Karliner LS Patient-Reported Use of the After Visit Summary in a Primary Care Internal Medicine Practice. View on PubMed
- Xie Z, Wenger N, Stanton AL, Sepucha K, Kaplan C, Madlensky L, Elashoff D, Trent J, Petruse A, Johansen L, Layton T, Naeim A Risk estimation, anxiety, and breast cancer worry in women at risk for breast cancer: A single-arm trial of personalized risk communication. View on PubMed
- Lowenstein M, Vijayaraghavan M, Burke NJ, Karliner L, Wang S, Peters M, Lozano A, Kaplan CP Real-world lung cancer screening decision-making: Barriers and facilitators. View on PubMed
- Hwang ES, Hyslop T, Lynch T, Frank E, Pinto D, Basila D, Collyar D, Bennett A, Kaplan C, Rosenberg S, Thompson A, Weiss A, Partridge A The COMET (Comparison of Operative versus Monitoring and Endocrine Therapy) trial: a phase III randomised controlled clinical trial for low-risk ductal carcinoma in situ (DCIS). View on PubMed
- Ozanne EM, Howe R, Mallinson D, Esserman L, Van't Veer LJ, Kaplan CP Evaluation of National Comprehensive Cancer Network guideline-based Tool for Risk Assessment for breast and ovarian Cancer (N-TRAC): A patient-reported survey for genetic high-risk assessment for breast and ovarian cancers in women. View on PubMed
- Haas JS, Giess CS, Harris KA, Ansolabehere J, Kaplan CP Randomized Trial of Personalized Breast Density and Breast Cancer Risk Notification View on PubMed