Research SummaryI am a surgical pathologist specializing in the diagnosis of gynecologic diseases, including cancers, benign tumors, pre-malignant lesions, infections, hormonal alterations, and developmental abnormalities of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, endometrium (uterus), myometrium, cervix, peritoneum, vagina, and vulva as well as gestational trophoblastic diseases. I provide diagnostic pathology service for the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, HPV/Dysplasia, and Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility clinics, for the gynecological diseases treated in the operating rooms at Mission Bay Hospital, Moffitt Hospital and Mt Zion Cancer Center, as well as diagnostic consultation for the Genetic Counseling division.
My clinical research focuses on diagnostic classification of gynecologic neoplasms, with an aim toward improvement of personalized tailoring of treatment decisions and tailoring of risk assessment for hereditary disease (i.e. the pathology perspective of precision medicine) by evaluating roles for integrating clinical, morphologic, immunohistochemical, and molecular diagnostic data.
Inter-departmental collaboration is central to both my clinical service and research activity. I work closely with my UCSF colleagues in the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, Genetic Counseling, and Radiology departments.
My educational activity includes serving as the Program Director for the UCSF Gynecologic Pathology Fellowship; co-chair of the Education Committee of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists; and lecturer and course director of numerous continuing education courses offered by national (USCAP, ASCP, CAP) and international (IAP, ISGyP, SSI) pathology organizations.
My professional organizational service includes being Associate Editor of the International Journal of Gynecologic Pathology and Secretary on the executive board of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists.
I am an editor and co-author of the 5th edition World Health Classification system of Female Genital Tumors, a co-author of multiple consensus guidelines from the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists, International Collaboration on Cancer Reporting, and numerous international consensus panels.
Harvard Medical School, MD, 1992-98, Medicine
Harvard School of Public Health, M.P.H., 1995-96, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Intern, 1998-99, General Surgery
University of California, San Francisco Resident, 1999-01, Anatomic Pathology
University of California, San Francisco Fellow, 2001-02, Surgical Pathology
University of California, San Francisco, Fellow, 2002-03, Cytopathology
Harvard Medical School Fellow, 2003-04, Gynecologic and Breast Pathology
- Sugi MD, Penna R, Jha P, Poder L, Behr SC, Courtier J, Mok-Lin E, Rabban JT, Choi HH. Müllerian Duct Anomalies: Role in Fertility and Pregnancy. Radiographics. 2021 Oct; 41(6):1857-1875. View on PubMed
- McNally L, Rabban JT, Poder L, Chetty S, Ueda S, Chen LM. Differentiating complete hydatidiform mole and coexistent fetus and placental mesenchymal dysplasia: A series of 9 cases and review of the literature. Gynecol Oncol Rep. 2021 Aug; 37:100811. View on PubMed
- Schermerhorn SMV, Rosen MP, Blevins EM, Byrd KA, Rabban JT, Marsh P, Lucas DJ. Regional air transportation of ovarian tissue for cryopreservation in a prepubertal female with cancer. Pediatr Blood Cancer. 2021 Sep; 68(9):e29107. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Garg K, Ladwig NR, Zaloudek CJ, Devine WP. Cytoplasmic Pattern p53 Immunoexpression in Pelvic and Endometrial Carcinomas With TP53 Mutation Involving Nuclear Localization Domains: An Uncommon But Potential Diagnostic Pitfall With Clinical Implications. Am J Surg Pathol. 2021 Apr 23. View on PubMed
- Ladwig NR, Umetsu SE, Zaloudek C, Rabban J, Garg K. Corded and Hyalinized Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma (CHEC) of the Uterine Corpus are Characterized by CTNNB1 Mutations and Can Show Adverse Clinical Outcomes. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar 01; 40(2):103-115. View on PubMed
- Parra-Herran C, Malpica A, Oliva E, Zannoni GF, Ramirez PT, Rabban JT. Endocervical Adenocarcinoma, Gross Examination, and Processing, Including Intraoperative Evaluation: Recommendations From the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar 01; 40(Suppl 1):S24-S47. View on PubMed
- Talia KL, Oliva E, Rabban JT, Singh N, Stolnicu S, McCluggage WG. Grading of Endocervical Adenocarcinomas: Review of the Literature and Recommendations From the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar 01; 40(Suppl 1):S66-S74. View on PubMed
- Joehlin-Price A, Van Ziffle J, Hills NK, Ladwig N, Rabban JT, Garg K. Molecularly Classified Uterine FIGO Grade 3 Endometrioid Carcinomas Show Distinctive Clinical Outcomes But Overlapping Morphologic Features. Am J Surg Pathol. 2021 03 01; 45(3):421-429. View on PubMed
- Park KJ, Cabrero IA, Fadare O, Hoang L, Kiyokawa T, Oliva E, Parra-Herran C, Rabban JT, Roma A, Singh N, Soslow R, Stolnicu S, Huvila J, Leung S, Gilks CB. Online Training and Self-assessment in the Histopathologic Classification of Endocervical Adenocarcinoma and Diagnosis of Pattern of Invasion: Evaluation of Participant Performance. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar 01; 40(Suppl 1):S14-S23. View on PubMed
- McCluggage WG, Rabban JT, Singh N, Oliva E. Survey Results on Pathologic Aspects of Endocervical Adenocarcinoma by the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar; 40 Suppl 1:S4-S13. View on PubMed
- Singh N, Rabban JT. The ISGyP Endocervical Adenocarcinoma Project: Master Plan Summary, Acknowledgment of Participants, and Participant Responses to Final Recommendations of the Expert Panels. Int J Gynecol Pathol. 2021 Mar; 40 Suppl 1:S111-S123. View on PubMed
- Stewart CJR, McCluggage WG, Chua YJ, Texler M, Rabban JT. Uterine plexiform tumourlets: multifocal and solitary cases with subsets expressing melanocytic markers. Histopathology. 2021 Apr; 78(5):690-698. View on PubMed
- Garg K, Rabban J. Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell carcinoma syndrome associated uterine smooth muscle tumors: Bridging morphology and clinical screening. Genes Chromosomes Cancer. 2021 Mar; 60(3):210-216. View on PubMed
- Bennett JA, Croce S, Pesci A, Niu N, Van de Vijver K, Burks EJ, Burandt E, Zannoni GF, Rabban JT, Oliva E. Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of the Uterus: An Immunohistochemical Study of 23 Cases. Am J Surg Pathol. 2020 11; 44(11):1441-1449. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Devine WP, Sangoi AR, Poder L, Alvarez E, Davis JL, Rudzinski E, Garg K, Bean GR. NTRK fusion cervical sarcoma: a report of three cases, emphasising morphological and immunohistochemical distinction from other uterine sarcomas, including adenosarcoma. Histopathology. 2020 Jul; 77(1):100-111. View on PubMed
- Han LM, Grenert JP, Wiita AP, Quinn M, Fujimoto VY, Rabban JT. Prevalence of Partial Hydatidiform Mole in Products of Conception From Gestations With Fetal Triploidy Merits Reflex Genotype Testing Independent of the Morphologic Appearance of the Chorionic Villi. Am J Surg Pathol. 2020 06; 44(6):849-858. View on PubMed
- Hecht JL, Baergen R, Ernst LM, Katzman PJ, Jacques SM, Jauniaux E, Khong TY, Metlay LA, Poder L, Qureshi F, Rabban JT, Roberts DJ, Shainker S, Heller DS. Classification and reporting guidelines for the pathology diagnosis of placenta accreta spectrum (PAS) disorders: recommendations from an expert panel. Mod Pathol. 2020 12; 33(12):2382-2396. View on PubMed
- Heskett MB, Sanborn JZ, Boniface C, Goode B, Chapman J, Garg K, Rabban JT, Zaloudek C, Benz SC, Spellman PT, Solomon DA, Cho RJ. Multiregion exome sequencing of ovarian immature teratomas reveals 2N near-diploid genomes, paucity of somatic mutations, and extensive allelic imbalances shared across mature, immature, and disseminated components. Mod Pathol. 2020 06; 33(6):1193-1206. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Karnezis AN, Devine WP. Practical roles for molecular diagnostic testing in ovarian adult granulosa cell tumour, Sertoli-Leydig cell tumour, microcystic stromal tumour and their mimics. Histopathology. 2020 Jan; 76(1):11-24. View on PubMed
- Chan E, Rabban JT, Mak J, Zaloudek C, Garg K. Detailed Morphologic and Immunohistochemical Characterization of Myomectomy and Hysterectomy Specimens From Women With Hereditary Leiomyomatosis and Renal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome (HLRCC). Am J Surg Pathol. 2019 09; 43(9):1170-1179. View on PubMed