Research SummaryI am a surgical pathologist specializing in the diagnosis of gynecologic diseases, including cancers, benign tumors, pre-malignant lesions, infections, hormonal alterations, and developmental abnormalities of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, endometrium (uterus), myometrium, cervix, peritoneum, vagina, and vulva. I provide diagnostic pathology service for the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, and Dysplasia clinics and operating rooms at Mission Bay Hospital, Moffitt Hospital and Mt Zion Cancer Center, as well as for the Genetic Counseling service at the UCSF Hereditary Cancer Clinic and Center for BRCA Research. I also serve on our gynecologic subspecialty diagnostic consultation service, which offers consultation to pathologists, clinicians and patients outside of the UCSF Medical Center.
My clinical research focuses on 1.) diagnostic classification on gynecologic cancers, with an aim toward improvement of personalized tailoring of treatment decisions and tailoring of risk assessment for hereditary disease and 2.) early diagnosis of ovarian cancer (pelvic cancer), specifically serous tumors.
Inter-departmental collaboration is central to both my clinical service and research activity. I work closely with my UCSF colleagues in the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, Genetic Counseling, and Radiology departments.
My educational activity includes serving as the Program Director for the UCSF Gynecologic Pathology Fellowship; co-chair of the Education Committee of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists; and lecturer and course director of numerous continuing education courses offered by national (USCAP, ASCP, CAP) and international (IAP, ISGyP, SSI) pathology organizations.
My professional organizational service includes being Associate Editor of the International Journal of Gynecologic Pathology and Secretary on the executive board of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists.
Harvard Medical School, MD, 1992-98, Medicine
Harvard School of Public Health, M.P.H., 1995-96, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Intern, 1998-99, General Surgery
University of California, San Francisco Resident, 1999-01, Anatomic Pathology
University of California, San Francisco Fellow, 2001-02, Surgical Pathology
University of California, San Francisco, Fellow, 2002-03, Cytopathology
Harvard Medical School Fellow, 2003-04, Gynecologic and Breast Pathology
- Bennett JA, Croce S, Pesci A, Niu N, Van de Vijver K, Burks EJ, Burandt E, Zannoni GF, Rabban JT, Oliva E Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of the Uterus: An Immunohistochemical Study of 23 Cases. View on PubMed
- Stewart CJR, McCluggage WG, Chua YJ, Texler M, Rabban JT Uterine plexiform tumourlets: multifocal and solitary cases with subsets expressing melanocytic markers. View on PubMed
- Garg K, Rabban J Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell carcinoma syndrome associated uterine smooth muscle tumors: Bridging morphology and clinical screening. View on PubMed
- Joehlin-Price A, Van Ziffle J, Hills NK, Ladwig N, Rabban JT, Garg K Molecularly Classified Uterine FIGO Grade 3 Endometrioid Carcinomas Show Distinctive Clinical Outcomes But Overlapping Morphologic Features. View on PubMed
- Ladwig NR, Umetsu SE, Zaloudek C, Rabban J, Garg K Corded and Hyalinized Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma (CHEC) of the Uterine Corpus are Characterized by CTNNB1 Mutations and Can Show Adverse Clinical Outcomes. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Devine WP, Sangoi AR, Poder L, Alvarez E, Davis JL, Rudzinski E, Garg K, Bean GR NTRK fusion cervical sarcoma: a report of three cases, emphasising morphological and immunohistochemical distinction from other uterine sarcomas, including adenosarcoma. View on PubMed
- Han LM, Grenert JP, Wiita AP, Quinn M, Fujimoto VY, Rabban JT Prevalence of Partial Hydatidiform Mole in Products of Conception From Gestations With Fetal Triploidy Merits Reflex Genotype Testing Independent of the Morphologic Appearance of the Chorionic Villi. View on PubMed
- Hecht JL, Baergen R, Ernst LM, Katzman PJ, Jacques SM, Jauniaux E, Khong TY, Metlay LA, Poder L, Qureshi F, Rabban JT, Roberts DJ, Shainker S, Heller DS Classification and reporting guidelines for the pathology diagnosis of placenta accreta spectrum (PAS) disorders: recommendations from an expert panel. View on PubMed
- Heskett MB, Sanborn JZ, Boniface C, Goode B, Chapman J, Garg K, Rabban JT, Zaloudek C, Benz SC, Spellman PT, Solomon DA, Cho RJ Multiregion exome sequencing of ovarian immature teratomas reveals 2N near-diploid genomes, paucity of somatic mutations, and extensive allelic imbalances shared across mature, immature, and disseminated components. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Karnezis AN, Devine WP Practical roles for molecular diagnostic testing in ovarian adult granulosa cell tumour, Sertoli-Leydig cell tumour, microcystic stromal tumour and their mimics. View on PubMed
- Chan E, Rabban JT, Mak J, Zaloudek C, Garg K Detailed Morphologic and Immunohistochemical Characterization of Myomectomy and Hysterectomy Specimens From Women With Hereditary Leiomyomatosis and Renal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome (HLRCC). View on PubMed
- Nolan A, Buza N, Margeta M, Rabban JT Ovarian Teratomas in Women With Anti-N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Encephalitis: Topography and Composition of Immune Cell and Neuroglial Populations Is Compatible With an Autoimmune Mechanism of Disease. View on PubMed
- Jha P, Rabban J, Chen LM, Goldstein RB, Weinstein S, Morgan TA, Shum D, Hills N, Ohliger MA, Poder L Placenta accreta spectrum: value of placental bulge as a sign of myometrial invasion on MR imaging. View on PubMed
- Xia Z, Cochrane DR, Tessier-Cloutier B, Leung S, Karnezis AN, Cheng AS, Farnell DA, Magrill J, Schmidt D, Kommoss S, Kommoss FKF, Kommoss F, McAlpine JN, Gilks CB, Koebel M, Rabban JT, Huntsman DG Expression of L1 retrotransposon open reading frame protein 1 in gynecologic cancers. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Chan E, Mak J, Zaloudek C, Garg K Prospective Detection of Germline Mutation of Fumarate Hydratase in Women With Uterine Smooth Muscle Tumors Using Pathology-based Screening to Trigger Genetic Counseling for Hereditary Leiomyomatosis Renal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome: A 5-Year Single Institut View on PubMed
- Shamir ER, Chen YY, Chu T, Pekmezci M, Rabban JT, Krings G Pleomorphic and Florid Lobular Carcinoma In Situ Variants of the Breast: A Clinicopathologic Study of 85 Cases With and Without Invasive Carcinoma From a Single Academic Center. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Gilks CB, Malpica A, Matias-Guiu X, Mittal K, Mutter GL, Oliva E, Parkash V, Ronnett BM, Staats P, Stewart CJR, McCluggage WG Issues in the Differential Diagnosis of Uterine Low-grade Endometrioid Carcinoma, Including Mixed Endometrial Carcinomas: Recommendations from the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. View on PubMed
- Stevers M, Rabban JT, Garg K, Van Ziffle J, Onodera C, Grenert JP, Yeh I, Bastian BC, Zaloudek C, Solomon DA Well-differentiated papillary mesothelioma of the peritoneum is genetically defined by mutually exclusive mutations in TRAF7 and CDC42. View on PubMed
- Wolsky RJ, Price MA, Zaloudek CJ, Rabban JT Mucosal Proliferations in Completely Examined Fallopian Tubes Accompanying Ovarian Low-grade Serous Tumors: Neoplastic Precursor Lesions or Normal Variants of Benign Mucosa? View on PubMed
- Joseph NM, Pineda C, Rabban JT DNA Genotyping of Nonmolar Donor Egg Pregnancies With Abnormal Villous Morphology: Allele Zygosity Patterns Prevent Misinterpretation as Complete Hydatidiform Mole. View on PubMed