Research SummaryI am a surgical pathologist specializing in the diagnosis of gynecologic diseases, including cancers, benign tumors, pre-malignant lesions, infections, hormonal alterations, and developmental abnormalities of the ovaries, fallopian tubes, endometrium (uterus), myometrium, cervix, peritoneum, vagina, and vulva. I provide diagnostic pathology service for the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, and Dysplasia clinics and operating rooms at Mission Bay Hospital, Moffitt Hospital and Mt Zion Cancer Center, as well as for the Genetic Counseling service at the UCSF Hereditary Cancer Clinic and Center for BRCA Research. I also serve on our gynecologic subspecialty diagnostic consultation service, which offers consultation to pathologists, clinicians and patients outside of the UCSF Medical Center.
My clinical research focuses on 1.) diagnostic classification on gynecologic cancers, with an aim toward improvement of personalized tailoring of treatment decisions and tailoring of risk assessment for hereditary disease and 2.) early diagnosis of ovarian cancer (pelvic cancer), specifically serous tumors.
Inter-departmental collaboration is central to both my clinical service and research activity. I work closely with my UCSF colleagues in the OB/GYN, Gynecologic Oncology, Genetic Counseling, and Radiology departments.
My educational activity includes serving as the Program Director for the UCSF Gynecologic Pathology Fellowship; co-chair of the Education Committee of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists; and lecturer and course director of numerous continuing education courses offered by national (USCAP, ASCP, CAP) and international (IAP, ISGyP, SSI) pathology organizations.
My professional organizational service includes being Associate Editor of the International Journal of Gynecologic Pathology and Secretary on the executive board of the International Society of Gynecologic Pathologists.
Harvard Medical School, MD, 1992-98, Medicine
Harvard School of Public Health, M.P.H., 1995-96, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Intern, 1998-99, General Surgery
University of California, San Francisco Resident, 1999-01, Anatomic Pathology
University of California, San Francisco Fellow, 2001-02, Surgical Pathology
University of California, San Francisco, Fellow, 2002-03, Cytopathology
Harvard Medical School Fellow, 2003-04, Gynecologic and Breast Pathology
- Rabban JT, Garg K, Ladwig NR, Zaloudek CJ, Devine WP Cytoplasmic Pattern p53 Immunoexpression in Pelvic and Endometrial Carcinomas With TP53 Mutation Involving Nuclear Localization Domains: An Uncommon But Potential Diagnostic Pitfall With Clinical Implications. View on PubMed
- Ladwig NR, Umetsu SE, Zaloudek C, Rabban J, Garg K Corded and Hyalinized Endometrioid Adenocarcinoma (CHEC) of the Uterine Corpus are Characterized by CTNNB1 Mutations and Can Show Adverse Clinical Outcomes. View on PubMed
- Parra-Herran C, Malpica A, Oliva E, Zannoni GF, Ramirez PT, Rabban JT Endocervical Adenocarcinoma, Gross Examination, and Processing, Including Intraoperative Evaluation: Recommendations From the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. View on PubMed
- Talia KL, Oliva E, Rabban JT, Singh N, Stolnicu S, McCluggage WG Grading of Endocervical Adenocarcinomas: Review of the Literature and Recommendations From the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. View on PubMed
- Joehlin-Price A, Van Ziffle J, Hills NK, Ladwig N, Rabban JT, Garg K Molecularly Classified Uterine FIGO Grade 3 Endometrioid Carcinomas Show Distinctive Clinical Outcomes But Overlapping Morphologic Features. View on PubMed
- Park KJ, Cabrero IA, Fadare O, Hoang L, Kiyokawa T, Oliva E, Parra-Herran C, Rabban JT, Roma A, Singh N, Soslow R, Stolnicu S, Huvila J, Leung S, Gilks CB Online Training and Self-assessment in the Histopathologic Classification of Endocervical Adenocarcinoma and Diagnosis of Pattern of Invasion: Evaluation of Participant Performance. View on PubMed
- McCluggage WG, Rabban JT, Singh N, Oliva E Survey Results on Pathologic Aspects of Endocervical Adenocarcinoma by the International Society of Gynecological Pathologists. View on PubMed
- Singh N, Rabban JT The ISGyP Endocervical Adenocarcinoma Project: Master Plan Summary, Acknowledgment of Participants, and Participant Responses to Final Recommendations of the Expert Panels. View on PubMed
- Bennett JA, Croce S, Pesci A, Niu N, Van de Vijver K, Burks EJ, Burandt E, Zannoni GF, Rabban JT, Oliva E Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Tumor of the Uterus: An Immunohistochemical Study of 23 Cases. View on PubMed
- Stewart CJR, McCluggage WG, Chua YJ, Texler M, Rabban JT Uterine plexiform tumourlets: multifocal and solitary cases with subsets expressing melanocytic markers. View on PubMed
- Garg K, Rabban J Hereditary leiomyomatosis and renal cell carcinoma syndrome associated uterine smooth muscle tumors: Bridging morphology and clinical screening. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Devine WP, Sangoi AR, Poder L, Alvarez E, Davis JL, Rudzinski E, Garg K, Bean GR NTRK fusion cervical sarcoma: a report of three cases, emphasising morphological and immunohistochemical distinction from other uterine sarcomas, including adenosarcoma. View on PubMed
- Han LM, Grenert JP, Wiita AP, Quinn M, Fujimoto VY, Rabban JT Prevalence of Partial Hydatidiform Mole in Products of Conception From Gestations With Fetal Triploidy Merits Reflex Genotype Testing Independent of the Morphologic Appearance of the Chorionic Villi. View on PubMed
- Hecht JL, Baergen R, Ernst LM, Katzman PJ, Jacques SM, Jauniaux E, Khong TY, Metlay LA, Poder L, Qureshi F, Rabban JT, Roberts DJ, Shainker S, Heller DS Classification and reporting guidelines for the pathology diagnosis of placenta accreta spectrum (PAS) disorders: recommendations from an expert panel. View on PubMed
- Heskett MB, Sanborn JZ, Boniface C, Goode B, Chapman J, Garg K, Rabban JT, Zaloudek C, Benz SC, Spellman PT, Solomon DA, Cho RJ Multiregion exome sequencing of ovarian immature teratomas reveals 2N near-diploid genomes, paucity of somatic mutations, and extensive allelic imbalances shared across mature, immature, and disseminated components. View on PubMed
- Rabban JT, Karnezis AN, Devine WP Practical roles for molecular diagnostic testing in ovarian adult granulosa cell tumour, Sertoli-Leydig cell tumour, microcystic stromal tumour and their mimics. View on PubMed
- Chan E, Rabban JT, Mak J, Zaloudek C, Garg K Detailed Morphologic and Immunohistochemical Characterization of Myomectomy and Hysterectomy Specimens From Women With Hereditary Leiomyomatosis and Renal Cell Carcinoma Syndrome (HLRCC). View on PubMed
- Nolan A, Buza N, Margeta M, Rabban JT Ovarian Teratomas in Women With Anti-N-methyl-D-Aspartate Receptor Encephalitis: Topography and Composition of Immune Cell and Neuroglial Populations Is Compatible With an Autoimmune Mechanism of Disease. View on PubMed
- Jha P, Rabban J, Chen LM, Goldstein RB, Weinstein S, Morgan TA, Shum D, Hills N, Ohliger MA, Poder L Placenta accreta spectrum: value of placental bulge as a sign of myometrial invasion on MR imaging. View on PubMed
- Xia Z, Cochrane DR, Tessier-Cloutier B, Leung S, Karnezis AN, Cheng AS, Farnell DA, Magrill J, Schmidt D, Kommoss S, Kommoss FKF, Kommoss F, McAlpine JN, Gilks CB, Koebel M, Rabban JT, Huntsman DG Expression of L1 retrotransposon open reading frame protein 1 in gynecologic cancers. View on PubMed