Research SummaryJeremy Reiter is the chairperson of the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics. His lab investigates how cilia form, signal and function in intercellular communication. Their achievements include:
1. The discovery that Smoothened, a critical component of the Hedgehog pathway, localizes to and works in cilia. This was the first demonstration that the Hedgehog signal transduction machinery functions at cilia.
2. They were the first to show that cancers can be ciliated and that cancers can require cilia for growth.
3. They helped show that the region at the base of the cilium called the transition zone is a gate that controls ciliary composition. For example, the transition zone regulates the ciliary localization of Smoothened and, therefore, is required for Hedgehog signaling.
4. They identified many transition zone components and discovered that some ciliopathies are caused by inherited human mutations in these transition zone components.
5. They found a phosphoinositide that marks the ciliary membrane and helps direct which proteins localize to cilia. This was the first identification of a specific cilia-enriched lipid.
6. They investigated how cilia regulate adult tissue homeostasis. Recently, they have shown how cilia of hypothalamic neurons signal to regulate satiety and how cilia restrict adipogenesis.
- July 18, 2011 - August 31, 2023 - Transition zone control of ciliary signaling, Principal Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NIDCR, Sponsor Award ID: R01DE029454
- December 10, 2016 - November 30, 2021 - Understanding Ciliary Functions in Mammalian Development, Principal Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NICHD, Sponsor Award ID: R01HD089918
- August 1, 2015 - July 31, 2020 - UCSF Nutrition Obesity Research Center, Co-Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NIDDK, Sponsor Award ID: P30DK098722
- July 15, 2018 - June 30, 2020 - How Zika virus disrupts neuronal cellular architecture, Principal Investigator. Sponsor: NIH/NINDS, Sponsor Award ID: R21NS104633
Yale College, New Haven, CT, BA, 1989-1993, Molecular Biochemistry and Biophysics
University of California, San Francisco, PhD, 1995-1999, Genetics
University of California, San Francisco, MD, 1993-1995, 2000-2001, Medicine
University of California, Berkeley, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2001-2003, Developmental Biology
University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Fellow, 2003-2006, Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program
Honors & Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
March of Dimes Basil O’Connor Research Award
Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences
Packard Fellow for Science and Engineering
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
National Academy of Science Kavli Fellow
American Association of Anatomists R. R. Bensley Award in Cell Biology
Grace Boyer Junior Faculty Endowed Chair
Albert Bowers Endowed Chair
Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Distinguished Scholar Alumni Award
- Wang Y, Bernard A, Comblain F, Yue X, Paillart C, Zhang S, Reiter JF, Vaisse C Melanocortin 4 receptor signals at the neuronal primary cilium to control food intake and body weight. View on PubMed
- Truong ME, Bilekova S, Choksi SP, Li W, Bugaj LJ, Xu K, Reiter JF Vertebrate cells differentially interpret ciliary and extraciliary cAMP. View on PubMed
- Daggubati V, Hochstetler J, Bommireddy A, Choudhury A, Krup AL, Choksi PK, Tong P, Li A, Xu L, Reiter JF, Raleigh DR Smoothened-activating lipids drive resistance to CDK4/6 inhibition in Hedgehog-associated medulloblastoma cells and preclinical models. View on PubMed
- Findakly S, Daggubati V, Garcia G, LaStella SA, Choudhury A, Tran C, Li A, Tong P, Garcia JQ, Puri N, Reiter JF, Xu L, Raleigh DR Sterol and oxysterol synthases near the ciliary base activate the Hedgehog pathway. View on PubMed
- Kumar D, Reiter J How the centriole builds its cilium: of mothers, daughters, and the acquisition of appendages. View on PubMed
- Hasenpusch-Theil K, Laclef C, Colligan M, Fitzgerald E, Howe K, Carroll E, Abrams SR, Reiter JF, Schneider-Maunoury S, Theil T A transient role of the ciliary gene Inpp5e in controlling direct versus indirect neurogenesis in cortical development. View on PubMed
- Hilgendorf KI, Johnson CT, Mezger A, Rice SL, Norris AM, Demeter J, Greenleaf WJ, Reiter JF, Kopinke D, Jackson PK Omega-3 Fatty Acids Activate Ciliary FFAR4 to Control Adipogenesis. View on PubMed
- Phua SC, Chiba S, Suzuki M, Su E, Roberson EC, Pusapati GV, Schurmans S, Setou M, Rohatgi R, Reiter JF, Ikegami K, Inoue T Dynamic Remodeling of Membrane Composition Drives Cell Cycle through Primary Cilia Excision. View on PubMed
- Kodani A, Moyer T, Chen A, Holland A, Walsh CA, Reiter JF SFI1 promotes centriole duplication by recruiting USP9X to stabilize the microcephaly protein STIL. View on PubMed
- Bansal R, Engle SE, Antonellis PJ, Whitehouse LS, Baucum AJ, Cummins TR, Reiter JF, Berbari NF Hedgehog Pathway Activation Alters Ciliary Signaling in Primary Hypothalamic Cultures. View on PubMed
- Shi X, Garcia G, Wang Y, Reiter JF, Huang B Deformed alignment of super-resolution images for semi-flexible structures. View on PubMed
- Raleigh DR, Reiter JF Misactivation of Hedgehog signaling causes inherited and sporadic cancers. View on PubMed
- Raleigh DR, Sever N, Choksi PK, Sigg MA, Hines KM, Thompson BM, Elnatan D, Jaishankar P, Bisignano P, Garcia-Gonzalo FR, Krup AL, Eberl M, Byrne EFX, Siebold C, Wong SY, Renslo AR, Grabe M, McDonald JG, Xu L, Beachy PA, Reiter JF Cilia-Associated Oxysterols Activate Smoothened. View on PubMed
- Park SM, Lim JS, Ramakrishina S, Kim SH, Kim WK, Lee J, Kang HC, Reiter JF, Kim DS, Kim HH, Lee JH Brain Somatic Mutations in MTOR Disrupt Neuronal Ciliogenesis, Leading to Focal Cortical Dyslamination. View on PubMed
- Garcia G, Raleigh DR, Reiter JF How the Ciliary Membrane Is Organized Inside-Out to Communicate Outside-In. View on PubMed
- Siljee JE, Wang Y, Bernard AA, Ersoy BA, Zhang S, Marley A, Von Zastrow M, Reiter JF, Vaisse C Subcellular localization of MC4R with ADCY3 at neuronal primary cilia underlies a common pathway for genetic predisposition to obesity. View on PubMed
- Sigg MA, Menchen T, Lee C, Johnson J, Jungnickel MK, Choksi SP, Garcia G, Busengdal H, Dougherty GW, Pennekamp P, Werner C, Rentzsch F, Florman HM, Krogan N, Wallingford JB, Omran H, Reiter JF Evolutionary Proteomics Uncovers Ancient Associations of Cilia with Signaling Pathways. View on PubMed
- Raleigh DR, Choksi PK, Krup AL, Mayer W, Santos N, Reiter JF Hedgehog signaling drives medulloblastoma growth via CDK6. View on PubMed
- Shi X, Garcia G, Van De Weghe JC, McGorty R, Pazour GJ, Doherty D, Huang B, Reiter JF Erratum: Super-resolution microscopy reveals that disruption of ciliary transition-zone architecture causes Joubert syndrome. View on PubMed
- Shi X, Garcia G, Van De Weghe JC, McGorty R, Pazour GJ, Doherty D, Huang B, Reiter JF Super-resolution microscopy reveals that disruption of ciliary transition-zone architecture causes Joubert syndrome. View on PubMed