Research SummaryJeremy Reiter is the chairperson of the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics. His lab investigates how cilia form, signal and function in intercellular communication. Their achievements include:
1. The discovery that Smoothened, a critical component of the Hedgehog pathway, localizes to and works in cilia. This was the first demonstration that the Hedgehog signal transduction machinery functions at cilia.
2. They were the first to show that cancers can be ciliated and that cancers can require cilia for growth.
3. They helped show that the region at the base of the cilium called the transition zone is a gate that controls ciliary composition. For example, the transition zone regulates the ciliary localization of Smoothened and, therefore, is required for Hedgehog signaling.
4. They identified many transition zone components and discovered that some ciliopathies are caused by inherited human mutations in these transition zone components.
5. They found a phosphoinositide that marks the ciliary membrane and helps direct which proteins localize to cilia. This was the first identification of a specific cilia-enriched lipid.
6. They investigated how cilia regulate adult tissue homeostasis. Recently, they have shown how cilia of hypothalamic neurons signal to regulate satiety and how cilia restrict adipogenesis.
- June 1, 2016 - July 31, 2026 - Obesity in Ciliopathies: How Neuronal Primary Cilia Control Appetite , Co-Principal Investigator . Sponsor: NIH, Sponsor Award ID: R01DK106404
- August 1, 2015 - July 31, 2025 - UCSF Nutrition Obesity Research Center , Co-Investigator . Sponsor: NIH, Sponsor Award ID: P30DK098722
- December 1, 2006 - June 30, 2025 - Hedgehog signaling at the cell's antenna: Smoothened and the primary cilium , Principal Investigator . Sponsor: NIH, Sponsor Award ID: R01AR054396
- July 1, 1994 - April 30, 2024 - Predoctoral Training in Developmental Biology , Principal Investigator . Sponsor: NIH, Sponsor Award ID: T32HD007470
Yale College, New Haven, CT, BA, 1989-1993, Molecular Biochemistry and Biophysics
University of California, San Francisco, PhD, 1995-1999, Genetics
University of California, San Francisco, MD, 1993-1995, 2000-2001, Medicine
University of California, Berkeley, Postdoctoral Fellowship, 2001-2003, Developmental Biology
University of California, San Francisco, UCSF Fellow, 2003-2006, Developmental and Stem Cell Biology Program
Honors & Awards
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society
March of Dimes Basil O’Connor Research Award
Burroughs Wellcome Fund Career Award in the Biomedical Sciences
Packard Fellow for Science and Engineering
Presidential Early Career Award for Scientists and Engineers (PECASE)
American Society for Clinical Investigation (ASCI)
National Academy of Science Kavli Fellow
American Association of Anatomists R. R. Bensley Award in Cell Biology
Grace Boyer Junior Faculty Endowed Chair
Albert Bowers Endowed Chair
Achievement Rewards for College Scientists (ARCS) Distinguished Scholar Alumni Award
- Kodani A, Knopp KA, Di Lullo E, Retallack H, Kriegstein AR, DeRisi JL, Reiter JF. Zika virus alters centrosome organization to suppress the innate immune response. EMBO Rep. 2022 09 05; 23(9):e52211. View on PubMed
- Kumar D, Reiter JF. A kinesin mimics DNA. Nat Cell Biol. 2022 07; 24(7):1015-1016. View on PubMed
- Nguyen TD, Truong ME, Reiter JF. The Intimate Connection Between Lipids and Hedgehog Signaling. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2022; 10:876815. View on PubMed
- Tabula Sapiens Consortium*, Jones RC, Karkanias J, Krasnow MA, Pisco AO, Quake SR, Salzman J, Yosef N, Bulthaup B, Brown P, Harper W, Hemenez M, Ponnusamy R, Salehi A, Sanagavarapu BA, Spallino E, Aaron KA, Concepcion W, Gardner JM, Kelly B, Neidlinger N, Wang Z, Crasta S, Kolluru S, Morri M, Pisco AO, Tan SY, Travaglini KJ, Xu C, Alcántara-Hernández M, Almanzar N, Antony J, Beyersdorf B, Burhan D, Calcuttawala K, Carter MM, Chan CKF, Chang CA, Chang S, Colville A, Crasta S, Culver RN, Cvijovic I, D'Amato G, Ezran C, Galdos FX, Gillich A, Goodyer WR, Hang Y, Hayashi A, Houshdaran S, Huang X, Irwin JC, Jang S, Juanico JV, Kershner AM, Kim S, Kiss B, Kolluru S, Kong W, Kumar ME, Kuo AH, Leylek R, Li B, Loeb GB, Lu WJ, Mantri S, Markovic M, McAlpine PL, de Morree A, Morri M, Mrouj K, Mukherjee S, Muser T, Neuhöfer P, Nguyen TD, Perez K, Phansalkar R, Pisco AO, Puluca N, Qi Z, Rao P, Raquer-McKay H, Schaum N, Scott B, Seddighzadeh B, Segal J, Sen S, Sikandar S, Spencer SP, Steffes LC, Subramaniam VR, Swarup A, Swift M, Travaglini KJ, Van Treuren W, Trimm E, Veizades S, Vijayakumar S, Vo KC, Vorperian SK, Wang W, Weinstein HNW, Winkler J, Wu TTH, Xie J, Yung AR, Zhang Y, Detweiler AM, Mekonen H, Neff NF, Sit RV, Tan M, Yan J, Bean GR, Charu V, Forgó E, Martin BA, Ozawa MG, Silva O, Tan SY, Toland A, Vemuri VNP, Afik S, Awayan K, Botvinnik OB, Byrne A, Chen M, Dehghannasiri R, Detweiler AM, Gayoso A, Granados AA, Li Q, Mahmoudabadi G, McGeever A, de Morree A, Olivieri JE, Park M, Pisco AO, Ravikumar N, Salzman J, Stanley G, Swift M, Tan M, Tan W, Tarashansky AJ, Vanheusden R, Vorperian SK, Wang P, Wang S, Xing G, Xu C, Yosef N, Alcántara-Hernández M, Antony J, Chan CKF, Chang CA, Colville A, Crasta S, Culver R, Dethlefsen L, Ezran C, Gillich A, Hang Y, Ho PY, Irwin JC, Jang S, Kershner AM, Kong W, Kumar ME, Kuo AH, Leylek R, Liu S, Loeb GB, Lu WJ, Maltzman JS, Metzger RJ, de Morree A, Neuhöfer P, Perez K, Phansalkar R, Qi Z, Rao P, Raquer-McKay H, Sasagawa K, Scott B, Sinha R, Song H, Spencer SP, Swarup A, Swift M, Travaglini KJ, Trimm E, Veizades S, Vijayakumar S, Wang B, Wang W, Winkler J, Xie J, Yung AR, Artandi SE, Beachy PA, Clarke MF, Giudice LC, Huang FW, Huang KC, Idoyaga J, Kim SK, Krasnow M, Kuo CS, Nguyen P, Quake SR, Rando TA, Red-Horse K, Reiter J, Relman DA, Sonnenburg JL, Wang B, Wu A, Wu SM, Wyss-Coray T. The Tabula Sapiens: A multiple-organ, single-cell transcriptomic atlas of humans. Science. 2022 05 13; 376(6594):eabl4896. View on PubMed
- Xie C, Abrams SR, Herranz-Pérez V, García-Verdugo JM, Reiter JF. Endoderm development requires centrioles to restrain p53-mediated apoptosis in the absence of ERK activity. Dev Cell. 2021 12 20; 56(24):3334-3348.e6. View on PubMed
- Bentley-Ford MR, Andersen RS, Croyle MJ, Haycraft CJ, Clearman KR, Foote JB, Reiter JF, Yoder BK. ATXN10 Is Required for Embryonic Heart Development and Maintenance of Epithelial Cell Phenotypes in the Adult Kidney and Pancreas. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2021; 9:705182. View on PubMed
- Yang Y, Paivinen P, Xie C, Krup AL, Makela TP, Mostov KE, Reiter JF. Ciliary Hedgehog signaling patterns the digestive system to generate mechanical forces driving elongation. Nat Commun. 2021 12 10; 12(1):7186. View on PubMed
- Abrams SR, Reiter JF. Ciliary Hedgehog signaling regulates cell survival to build the facial midline. Elife. 2021 10 21; 10. View on PubMed
- Kumar D, Rains A, Herranz-Pérez V, Lu Q, Shi X, Swaney DL, Stevenson E, Krogan NJ, Huang B, Westlake C, Garcia-Verdugo JM, Yoder BK, Reiter JF. A ciliopathy complex builds distal appendages to initiate ciliogenesis. J Cell Biol. 2021 09 06; 220(9). View on PubMed
- Shi X, Li Q, Dai Z, Tran AA, Feng S, Ramirez AD, Lin Z, Wang X, Chow TT, Chen J, Kumar D, McColloch AR, Reiter JF, Huang EJ, Seiple IB, Huang B. Label-retention expansion microscopy. J Cell Biol. 2021 09 06; 220(9). View on PubMed
- Wang Y, Bernard A, Comblain F, Yue X, Paillart C, Zhang S, Reiter JF, Vaisse C. Melanocortin 4 receptor signals at the neuronal primary cilium to control food intake and body weight. J Clin Invest. 2021 05 03; 131(9). View on PubMed
- Truong ME, Bilekova S, Choksi SP, Li W, Bugaj LJ, Xu K, Reiter JF. Vertebrate cells differentially interpret ciliary and extraciliary cAMP. Cell. 2021 05 27; 184(11):2911-2926.e18. View on PubMed
- Daggubati V, Hochstelter J, Bommireddy A, Choudhury A, Krup AL, Kaur P, Tong P, Li A, Xu L, Reiter JF, Raleigh DR. Smoothened-activating lipids drive resistance to CDK4/6 inhibition in Hedgehog-associated medulloblastoma cells and preclinical models. J Clin Invest. 2021 03 15; 131(6). View on PubMed
- Findakly S, Daggubati V, Garcia G, LaStella SA, Choudhury A, Tran C, Li A, Tong P, Garcia JQ, Puri N, Reiter JF, Xu L, Raleigh DR. Sterol and oxysterol synthases near the ciliary base activate the Hedgehog pathway. J Cell Biol. 2021 01 04; 220(1). View on PubMed
- Kumar D, Reiter J. How the centriole builds its cilium: of mothers, daughters, and the acquisition of appendages. Curr Opin Struct Biol. 2021 02; 66:41-48. View on PubMed
- Hasenpusch-Theil K, Laclef C, Colligan M, Fitzgerald E, Howe K, Carroll E, Abrams SR, Reiter JF, Schneider-Maunoury S, Theil T. A transient role of the ciliary gene Inpp5e in controlling direct versus indirect neurogenesis in cortical development. Elife. 2020 08 25; 9. View on PubMed
- Hilgendorf KI, Johnson CT, Mezger A, Rice SL, Norris AM, Demeter J, Greenleaf WJ, Reiter JF, Kopinke D, Jackson PK. Omega-3 Fatty Acids Activate Ciliary FFAR4 to Control Adipogenesis. Cell. 2019 11 27; 179(6):1289-1305.e21. View on PubMed
- Phua SC, Chiba S, Suzuki M, Su E, Roberson EC, Pusapati GV, Schurmans S, Setou M, Rohatgi R, Reiter JF, Ikegami K, Inoue T. Dynamic Remodeling of Membrane Composition Drives Cell Cycle through Primary Cilia Excision. Cell. 2019 06 27; 178(1):261. View on PubMed
- Kodani A, Moyer T, Chen A, Holland A, Walsh CA, Reiter JF. SFI1 promotes centriole duplication by recruiting USP9X to stabilize the microcephaly protein STIL. J Cell Biol. 2019 07 01; 218(7):2185-2197. View on PubMed
- Bansal R, Engle SE, Antonellis PJ, Whitehouse LS, Baucum AJ, Cummins TR, Reiter JF, Berbari NF. Hedgehog Pathway Activation Alters Ciliary Signaling in Primary Hypothalamic Cultures. Front Cell Neurosci. 2019; 13:266. View on PubMed