Research SummaryDr. Michael Rosenblum is a dermatologist who specializes in caring for patients with inflammatory and autoimmune skin diseases.
One of the world's leading skin immunologists, Rosenblum's research has led to a better understanding of how immune responses are regulated in tissues. He also studies how to use this knowledge to develop better treatments for autoimmune disorders.
After completing a doctorate in immunology at the Medical College of Wisconsin, Rosenblum earned his medical degree from the same institution. He completed a residency in dermatology at UCSF.
Rosenblum is a member of the American Association of Immunologists, Society for Investigative Dermatology, American Academy of Dermatology and Federation of Clinical Immunology Societies. He has co-founded multiple biotech companies that are developing new treatments for autoimmune diseases.
University of Western Ontario, Canada, HBSc, 05/1997, Cell Biology
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, PhD, 06/2003, Immunology
Medical College of Wisconsin, Milwaukee, MD, 06/2006, Medicine
University of California, San Francisco, Residency, 07/2010, Dermatology
Honors & Awards
Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award, Medical College of Wisconsin
Armand J. Quick Award for Outstanding Senior Medical Student in Biochemistry, Medical College of Wisconsin
NIH Director's New Innovator Award
Charles & Daneen Stiefel Scholar Award in Autoimmune & Connective Tissue Diseases
- Lowe MM, Cohen JN, Moss MI, Clancy S, Adler J, Yates A, Naik HB, Pauli M, Taylor I, McKay A, Harris H, Kim E, Hansen SL, Rosenblum MD, Moreau JM. Tertiary Lymphoid Structures Sustain Cutaneous B cell Activity in Hidradenitis Suppurativa. bioRxiv. 2023 Feb 15. View on PubMed
- Lowe MM, Naik HB, Clancy S, Pauli M, Smith KM, Bi Y, Dunstan R, Gudjonsson JE, Paul M, Harris H, Kim E, Shin US, Ahn R, Liao W, Hansen SL, Rosenblum MD. Immunopathogenesis of hidradenitis suppurativa and response to anti-TNF-α therapy. JCI Insight. 2022 10 24; 7(20). View on PubMed
- Moss MI, Pauli M, Moreau JM, Cohen JN, Rosenblum MD, Lowe MM. Xenograft Skin Model to Manipulate Human Immune Responses In Vivo. J Vis Exp. 2022 06 29; (184). View on PubMed
- Moreau JM, Velegraki M, Bolyard C, Rosenblum MD, Li Z. Transforming growth factor-β1 in regulatory T cell biology. Sci Immunol. 2022 03 18; 7(69):eabi4613. View on PubMed
- Gouirand V, Rosenblum MD. MTHFD2, metabolic mastermind of CD4+ T cell destiny. Sci Immunol. 2022 03 04; 7(69):eabo6765. View on PubMed
- Glasgow JE, Byrnes JR, Barbee SD, Moreau JM, Rosenblum MD, Wells JA. Identifying and antagonizing the interactions between layilin and glycosylated collagens. Cell Chem Biol. 2022 04 21; 29(4):597-604.e7. View on PubMed
- Ahn RS, Taravati K, Lai K, Lee KM, Nititham J, Gupta R, Chang DS, Arron ST, Rosenblum M, Liao W. Author Correction: Transcriptional landscape of epithelial and immune cell populations revealed through FACS-seq of healthy human skin. Sci Rep. 2022 Jan 17; 12(1):1172. View on PubMed
- Liu J, Chang HW, Grewal R, Cummins DD, Bui A, Beck KM, Sekhon S, Yan D, Huang ZM, Schmidt TH, Yang EJ, Sanchez IM, Nakamura M, Bhattarai S, Thibodeaux Q, Ahn R, Pauli M, Bhutani T, Rosenblum MD, Liao W. Transcriptomic Profiling of Plaque Psoriasis and Cutaneous T-Cell Subsets during Treatment with Secukinumab. JID Innov. 2022 May; 2(3):100094. View on PubMed
- Boothby IC, Kinet MJ, Boda DP, Kwan EY, Clancy S, Cohen JN, Habrylo I, Lowe MM, Pauli M, Yates AE, Chan JD, Harris HW, Neuhaus IM, McCalmont TH, Molofsky AB, Rosenblum MD. Early-life inflammation primes a T helper 2 cell-fibroblast niche in skin. Nature. 2021 11; 599(7886):667-672. View on PubMed
- Gouirand V, Rosenblum MD. Tregs and inflammation-bring it on! Sci Immunol. 2021 10; 6(64):eabm5116. View on PubMed
- Mehta P, Gouirand V, Boda DP, Zhang J, Gearty SV, Zirak B, Lowe MM, Clancy S, Boothby I, Mahuron KM, Fries A, Krummel MF, Mankoo P, Chang HW, Liu J, Moreau JM, Scharschmidt TC, Daud A, Kim E, Neuhaus IM, Harris HW, Liao W, Rosenblum MD. Layilin Anchors Regulatory T Cells in Skin. J Immunol. 2021 10 01; 207(7):1763-1775. View on PubMed
- Moreau JM, Dhariwala MO, Gouirand V, Boda DP, Boothby IC, Lowe MM, Cohen JN, Macon CE, Leech JM, Kalekar LA, Scharschmidt TC, Rosenblum MD. Regulatory T cells promote innate inflammation after skin barrier breach via TGF-β activation. Sci Immunol. 2021 08 27; 6(62). View on PubMed
- Gouirand V, Habrylo I, Rosenblum MD. Regulatory T Cells and Inflammatory Mediators in Autoimmune Disease. J Invest Dermatol. 2022 03; 142(3 Pt B):774-780. View on PubMed
- Dodagatta-Marri E, Ma HY, Liang B, Li J, Meyer DS, Chen SY, Sun KH, Ren X, Zivak B, Rosenblum MD, Headley MB, Pinzas L, Reed NI, Del Cid JS, Hann BC, Yang S, Giddabasappa A, Noorbehesht K, Yang B, Dal Porto J, Tsukui T, Niessen K, Atakilit A, Akhurst RJ, Sheppard D. Integrin αvβ8 on T cells suppresses anti-tumor immunity in multiple models and is a promising target for tumor immunotherapy. Cell Rep. 2021 07 06; 36(1):109309. View on PubMed
- Moreau JM, Gouirand V, Rosenblum MD. T-Cell Adhesion in Healthy and Inflamed Skin. JID Innov. 2021 Jun; 1(2):100014. View on PubMed
- Pauken KE, Shahid O, Lagattuta KA, Mahuron KM, Luber JM, Lowe MM, Huang L, Delaney C, Long JM, Fung ME, Newcomer K, Tsai KK, Chow M, Guinn S, Kuchroo JR, Burke KP, Schenkel JM, Rosenblum MD, Daud AI, Sharpe AH, Singer M. Single-cell analyses identify circulating anti-tumor CD8 T cells and markers for their enrichment. J Exp Med. 2021 04 05; 218(4). View on PubMed
- Boothby IC, Rosenblum MD. TregGF-β: Deletion of TGF-β in Tregs revisited. Sci Immunol. 2021 02 05; 6(56). View on PubMed
- Dunstan RW, Salte KM, Todorovic V, Lowe M, Wetter JB, Harms PW, Burney RE, Scott VE, Smith KM, Rosenblum MD, Gudjonsson JE, Honore P. Histologic progression of acne inversa/hidradenitis suppurativa: Implications for future investigations and therapeutic intervention. Exp Dermatol. 2021 06; 30(6):820-830. View on PubMed
- Liu J, Chang HW, Huang ZM, Nakamura M, Sekhon S, Ahn R, Munoz-Sandoval P, Bhattarai S, Beck KM, Sanchez IM, Yang E, Pauli M, Arron ST, Fung-Leung WP, Munoz E, Liu X, Bhutani T, North J, Fourie AM, Rosenblum MD, Liao W. Single-cell RNA sequencing of psoriatic skin identifies pathogenic Tc17 cell subsets and reveals distinctions between CD8+ T cells in autoimmunity and cancer. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2021 06; 147(6):2370-2380. View on PubMed
- Dhariwala MO, Karthikeyan D, Vasquez KS, Farhat S, Weckel A, Taravati K, Leitner EG, Clancy S, Pauli M, Piper ML, Cohen JN, Ashouri JF, Lowe MM, Rosenblum MD, Scharschmidt TC. Developing Human Skin Contains Lymphocytes Demonstrating a Memory Signature. Cell Rep Med. 2020 11 17; 1(8):100132. View on PubMed