Research SummaryDr. Jonathan P. Terdiman is a Professor of Clinical Medicine and Surgery and the Chief of the Gastroenterology Division at UCSF. He earned his undergraduate degree from Princeton University in 1985 and his medical degree from the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons in 1989. Dr. Terdiman completed his internal medicine residency and fellowships in both critical care medicine and gastroenterology at UCSF before joining the faculty in 1996.
Dr. Terdiman has a busy clinical practice in gastroenterology, with a focus on the management of patients with inflammatory bowel disease. In 2013 Dr Terdiman was elected to the UCSF Department of Medicine’s Master Clinician Council. Dr Terdiman has been named a Bay area Top Doctor by San Francisco Magazine for the past four years and counting. Dr Terdiman also is a leading teacher of clinical medicine. He has received numerous campus-wide teaching awards, and he is a past member of the Haile T Debas Academy of Medical Educators.
Dr. Terdiman’s primary research activities focus on the assessment and mitigation of the risk among patients and families with a genetic predisposition to gastrointestinal cancers. He also is actively engaged in projects assessing the safety and efficacy of new therapies for inflammatory bowel disease. Dr. Terdiman chairs the American Gastroenterological Association guideline panel on the proper use of immune modulators and biological drugs in the treatment of moderate to severe Crohn’s disease, and he is the senior author of a new AGA technical review on the management of moderate to severe ulcerative colitis .
In addition to his work at UCSF, Dr Terdiman has served on the board of trustees of the Northern California Chapter of the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America (CCFA) for many years, and was board president from 2010-2012. In 2012 the chapter named Dr. Terdiman as a CCFA Champion of Hope. Dr Terdiman also is a member of the board of trustees of the Brandeis School of San Francisco.
Princeton University, A.B., cum laude, 1985
Columbia University, College of Physicians and Surgeons, M.D., 1989
Honors & Awards
UCSF Medical School Class of 2002, Excellence in Small Group Instruction, recipient
UCSF Medical School Class of 2004, Excellence in Small Group Instruction, recipient
UCSF Medical School Class of 2006, Excellence in Small Group Instruction, recipient
Excellence in Direct Teaching, recipient, UCSF Academy of Medical Educators
- Provenzale D, Ness RM, Llor X, Weiss JM, Abbadessa B, Cooper G, Early DS, Friedman M, Giardiello FM, Glaser K, Gurudu S, Halverson AL, Issaka R, Jain R, Kanth P, Kidambi T, Lazenby AJ, Maguire L, Markowitz AJ, May FP, Mayer RJ, Mehta S, Patel S, Peter S, Stanich PP, Terdiman J, Keller J, Dwyer MA, Ogba N NCCN Guidelines Insights: Colorectal Cancer Screening, Version 2.2020. View on PubMed
- Kotwani P, Terdiman J, Lewin S Tofacitinib for Rescue Therapy in Acute Severe Ulcerative Colitis: A Real-world Experience. View on PubMed
- Lee JK, Kidambi TD, Kaltenbach T, Bhat YM, Shergill A, McQuaid KR, Terdiman JP, Soetikno RM Impact of observational training on endoscopic mucosal resection outcomes and competency for large colorectal polyps: single endoscopist experience. View on PubMed
- Singh S, Allegretti JR, Siddique SM, Terdiman JP AGA Technical Review on the Management of Moderate to Severe Ulcerative Colitis. View on PubMed
- Selvig D, Piceno Y, Terdiman J, Zydek M, Umetsu SE, Balitzer D, Fadrosh D, Lynch K, Lamere B, Leith T, Kassam Z, Beck K, Lewin S, Ma A, Somsouk M, Lynch SV, El-Nachef N Fecal Microbiota Transplantation in Pouchitis: Clinical, Endoscopic, Histologic, and Microbiota Results from a Pilot Study. View on PubMed
- Gutin L, Piceno Y, Fadrosh D, Lynch K, Zydek M, Kassam Z, LaMere B, Terdiman J, Ma A, Somsouk M, Lynch S, El-Nachef N Fecal microbiota transplant for Crohn disease: A study evaluating safety, efficacy, and microbiome profile. View on PubMed
- Adler E, Tabaa A, Kassam Z, Zydek M, Terdiman J, El-Nachef N Capsule-Delivered Fecal Microbiota Transplant Is Safe and Well Tolerated in Patients with Ulcerative Colitis. View on PubMed
- Mao EJ, Lewin S, Terdiman JP, Beck K Safety of dual biological therapy in Crohn's disease: a case series of vedolizumab in combination with other biologics. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Terdiman JP, Lee JK Negative withdrawal time: simple and efficient. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Terdiman JP, El-Nachef N, Singh A, Kattah MG, Lee JK Effect of I-scan Electronic Chromoendoscopy on Detection of Adenomas During Colonoscopy. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Goldberg D, Nussbaum R, Blanco A, Umetsu SE, Terdiman JP, Lee JK Novel variant of unknown significance in MUTYH in a patient with MUTYH-associated polyposis: a case to reclassify. View on PubMed
- Gray PN, Tsai P, Chen D, Wu S, Hoo J, Mu W, Li B, Vuong H, Lu HM, Batth N, Willett S, Uyeda L, Shah S, Gau CL, Umali M, Espenschied C, Janicek M, Brown S, Margileth D, Dobrea L, Wagman L, Rana H, Hall MJ, Ross T, Terdiman J, Cullinane C, Ries S, Totten E, Elliott AM TumorNext-Lynch-MMR: a comprehensive next generation sequencing assay for the detection of germline and somatic mutations in genes associated with mismatch repair deficiency and Lynch syndrome. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Pedley C, Blanco A, Bergsland EK, Terdiman JP Lower gastrointestinal neuroendocrine neoplasms associated with hereditary cancer syndromes: a case series. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Schmajuk G, Gross AJ, Ostroff JW, Terdiman JP, Lee JK Endoscopy is of low yield in the identification of gastrointestinal neoplasia in patients with dermatomyositis: A cross-sectional study. View on PubMed
- Azofra AS, Kidambi TD, Jeremy RJ, Conrad P, Blanco A, Myers M, Barkovich J, Terdiman JP Differences in neuropsychological and behavioral parameters and brain structure in patients with familial adenomatous polyposis: a sibling-paired study. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Lee R, Terdiman JP, Day L Successful implementation of Lynch syndrome screening in a safety net institution. View on PubMed
- Kidambi TD, Blanco A, Van Ziffle J, Terdiman JP Constitutional MLH1 methylation presenting with colonic polyposis syndrome and not Lynch syndrome. View on PubMed
- Guindalini RS, Win AK, Gulden C, Lindor NM, Newcomb PA, Haile RW, Raymond V, Stoffel E, Hall M, Llor X, Ukaegbu CI, Solomon I, Weitzel J, Kalady M, Blanco A, Terdiman J, Shuttlesworth GA, Lynch PM, Hampel H, Lynch HT, Jenkins MA, Olopade OI, Kupfer SS Mutation spectrum and risk of colorectal cancer in African American families with Lynch syndrome. View on PubMed
- Ho CK, Boscardin CK, Gleason N, Collado D, Terdiman J, Terrault NA, Gonzales R Optimizing the pre-referral workup for gastroenterology and hepatology specialty care: consensus using the Delphi method. View on PubMed
- Goodenberger ML, Thomas BC, Riegert-Johnson D, Boland CR, Plon SE, Clendenning M, Win AK, Senter L, Lipkin SM, Stadler ZK, Macrae FA, Lynch HT, Weitzel JN, de la Chapelle A, Syngal S, Lynch P, Parry S, Jenkins MA, Gallinger S, Holter S, Aronson M, Newcomb PA, Burnett T, Le Marchand L, Pichurin P, Hampel H, Terdiman JP, Lu KH, Thibodeau S, Lindor NM PMS2 monoallelic mutation carriers: the known unknown. View on PubMed