Older Adult Care Program: Research Studies
The goal of this prospective, mixed methods cohort study is to characterize changes in functional status and quality of life during systemic non-small cell lung cancer treatment (chemotherapy, immunotherapy, and/or targeted therapy) among older adults age >65.
This study is actively enrolling at UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, San Francisco Veterans Affairs Medical Center, and Zuckerberg San Francisco General.
- Metzger L, Walter LC, Miaskowski C, Smith AK, Hurria A, Boscardin WJ, Cohen HJ, Lam V, Ursem CJ, Blakely CM, Gubens MA, Jahan TM, McCoach CE, Allen GM, Rotow J, Musinipally V, Wong ML. Life-space decline and resilience during lung cancer treatment in older adults. Poster presented at: American Geriatrics Society Annual Meeting; 2019; Portland, OR.
- Wong ML, Miaskowski C, Smith AK, Boscardin WJ, Cohen HJ, Hurria A, Lam V, Ursem CJ, Blakely CM, Gubens MA, Jahan TM, McCoach CE, Allen GM, Rotow J, Dixit N, Musinipally V, Webber KR, Walter LC. Prognostic factors among older adults with advanced non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC): A multisite cohort study. Poster presented at: American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; 2019; Chicago, IL.
The goal of this focus group study is to evaluate the acceptability and applicability of the Best Case/Worst Case communication tool for treatment discussions with older adults with lung cancer through focus groups with i) older lung cancer patients, ii) caregivers, and iii) medical oncologists.
This study will start enrolling at UCSF Helen Diller Family Comprehensive Cancer Center in summer 2019.
The goal of this prospective cohort study is to determine whether comprehensive geriatric assessment, including measures of functional status, is associated with post-transplant outcomes in older adults aged ≥50 undergoing autologous or allogeneic hematopoietic cell transplantation for hematologic malignancies.
Utilizing data from this cohort study, a separate project will aim to investigate whether baseline geriatric impairments or global frailty predict cognitive decline after allogeneic transplantation in older adults. (PI: Li-Wen Huang; mentors: Rebecca L. Olin, Michael A. Steinman)
- Nawas MT, Andreadis C, Martin TG, Wolf JL, Ai WZ, Kaplan LD, Mannis GN, Logan AC, Damon LE, Huang CY, Olin RL. Limitation in Patient-Reported Function Is Associated with Inferior Survival in Older Adults Undergoing Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2019 Jan 30.
- Huang LW, Huang CY, Andreadis C, Logan A, Mannis G, Smith C, Gaensler K, Martin T, Damon L, Steinman M, Olin R. Functional status is associated with outcomes after allogeneic stem cell transplantation for older patients with hematologic malignancies. Poster presented at: American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting; 2018; San Diego, CA.
The goal of this multi-site interventional trial is to compare 2-month postoperative function after cancer-directed surgery among adults aged 70 or older at sites randomized to implement the OPTI-Surg toolkit with or without a coach versus sites randomized to usual care. The OPTI-Surg toolkit aims to detect frailty before surgery and prepare a tailored plan of care to reduce the potential impacts of frailty after surgery, including recommendations for physical activity, diet, alterations to the home environment, and tools to support independence at home.
OPTI-Surg is sponsored by the Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology and will be carried out in 30 cancer centers throughout the United States. This study will start recruiting at the UCSF Center for Surgery in Older Adults in summer 2019.
For more information about OPTI-Surg, visit clinicaltrials.gov: NCT03857620
Fractures after R-CHOP-like chemotherapy for aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas (mentor: Charalambos Andreadis; mentee: Li-Wen Huang)
The goal of this project is to evaluate the prevalence and incidence of fractures in patients with aggressive B-cell non-Hodgkin lymphomas treated with chemotherapy regimens which can result in significant bone loss.
- Huang LW, Sun D, Ai W, Kaplan LD, Link TM, Lang T, Andreadis C. High Prevalence and Incidence of Fractures in Patients Treated for Aggressive B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas. Poster presented at: American Society of Hematology Annual Meeting; 2017; Atlanta, GA.
The goal of this study is to understand real world palliative utilization rate and overall survival among patients with castrate-resistant prostate cancer receiving treatment in the VA system across the country.
Predictors of falls and fractures in patients receiving Apalutamide for non-metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer (mentor: Eric Small; mentee: YaoYao Pollock)
The goal of this study is to better understand why patients receiving Apalutamide are at higher risk of falling and to identify risk factors associated with higher risk of falls and fractures.
- Pollock YY, Smith MR, Saad F, Chowdhury S, Oudard S, Hadaschik B, Olmos D, Mainwaring P, Lee JY, Uemura H, Bhaumik A, Londhe A, Rooney B, Lopez-Gitlitz A, Mundle S, Cheng S, Small EJ. Predictors of Falls and Fractures in Patients With Nonmetastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Treated With Apalutamide Plus Ongoing Androgen Deprivation Therapy. Poster presented at: American Society of Clinical Oncology Annual Meeting; 2019; Chicago, IL.
Other key publications
- Huang LW, Smith AK, Wong ML. Who Will Care for the Caregivers? Increased Needs When Caring for Frail Older Adults With Cancer. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2019 May;67(5):873-876.
- Huang LW, Wong SW, Andreadis C, Olin RL. Updates on Hematologic Malignancies in the Older Adult: Focus on Acute Myeloid Leukemia, Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia, and Multiple Myeloma. Curr Oncol Rep. 2019 Mar 08; 21(4):35.
- Wong ML, Cooper BA, Paul SM, Abrams G, Topp K, Kober KM, Chesney MA, Mazor M, Schumacher MA, Conley YP, Levine JD, Miaskowski C. Age-related differences in patient-reported and objective measures of chemotherapy-induced peripheral neuropathy among cancer survivors. Support Care Cancer. 2019 Feb 15. Epub ahead of print.
- Wong ML, Paul SM, Mastick J, Ritchie C, Steinman MA, Walter LC, Miaskowski C. Characteristics Associated With Physical Function Trajectories in Older Adults With Cancer During Chemotherapy. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2018 Nov;56(5):678-688.e1.
- Wong ML, McMurry TL, Schumacher JR, Hu CY, Stukenborg GJ, Francescatti AB, Greenberg CC, Chang GJ, McKellar DP, Walter LC, Kozower BD. Comorbidity Assessment in the National Cancer Database for Patients With Surgically Resected Breast, Colorectal, or Lung Cancer (AFT-01, -02, -03). J Oncol Pract. 2018 Oct;14(10):e631-e643.
- Wong ML, Shi Y, Fung KZ, Ngo S, Elicker BM, Brown JK, Hiatt RA, Tang VL, Walter LC. Age, comorbidity, life expectancy, and pulmonary nodule follow-up in older veterans. PLoS One. 2018 Jul 25;13(7):e0200496.
- Huang LW, Olin RL. Emerging therapeutic modalities for acute myeloid leukemia (AML) in older adults. J Geriatr Oncol. 2017 Nov; 8(6):417-420.